The Nearly Man

• 25 Replies

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2020, 05:09:08 PM »
Thanks for all the reviews!

@moraamarolaloba Thanks Mora, I think a lot of people have spent the last few years with their head in the sand!

@adamfarr Great comments Jamie!  When Neil wrote the original Lyric, Billy didn't exist, that was my intervention.  I felt that we used the Nearly Man expression too often so I suggested making it about someone.  Given all of the comments, if there's any life in this song, I will be re-singing it to try to give it more feel and ad that point, we'll take a good look at the lyrics as well. 

@Jamie. You might be right about the drums Jamie, I'll increase them slightly.  I have a few ideas to improve all my vocals but I think they'll work well on this one.  Ray Davies again!  Haha I wish  ;D. Cheers!
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA
Instagram @echodogsofficial

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2020, 03:12:27 PM »
Hi,

Cool song.

I read about your influences - good that you have good taste.  :D
I was listening to some early REM just the other day - a very pleasant trip through the late 80s/early 90s.
Country Feedback still probably my fave track.

Your track my have a whiff of REM in places, but I thinks there's plenty that sets it apart.
Just a very fine tune.

Digger

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2020, 09:44:35 PM »
Thanks @digger72 much appreciated!
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA

man made material

• Solo Gig
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2020, 06:45:11 PM »
I loved this, the jangling guitars, great melodies, I like the lyrics that scan really well, I really like the harmonies, it’s very catchy too, it demanded a re-listen so I did! A very tasty slice of uplifting indie pop👌
Sound formed in a vacuum may seem a waste of time...

man made material

• Solo Gig
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2020, 06:47:46 PM »
Is billy McGann the goalkeeper from the 60-70s Scottish football league?

man made material

• Solo Gig
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2020, 06:52:16 PM »
I love the bass in this too!

Grubstar

• Open Mic
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2020, 02:47:22 PM »
Hi @PeteS
A very nice song with a really catchy chorus, a real grower. I too really liked the jangly guitars and as PJ said there's a touch of REM about them but I also thought of Jonny Marr. The lyrics are very good and you sing them well, I also thought it was really well produced.Cheers.

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2020, 04:27:07 PM »
Thanks @Grubstar, much appreciated.  I have changed a few things based on some of the comments including a doubled vocal.   I might post it somewhere else, don't need to keep this thread going.

Cheers.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2020, 07:07:35 PM »
Ohhh maaannn! That's me, for sure.

I love the sound of this and have no nits. I think it's going to be running through my head for a while. Very good. Excellent. Love it.

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2020, 10:09:32 PM »
@man made material Glad you liked it and listened again   8).  and you kiked the bass.  Often that means more to me because I'm a guitarist through and through but I love experimenting with other instruments so I love it hen people spot it.  I know the bass is a guitar really but coming up with something complimentary always makes me smile. 

This is the first I had heard of billy being a Scottish goalkeeper but I just had a chant with Neil, mu lyricist, and when we cam e up with the name he googled it and knew of him but said he wasn't well known so it didn't matter.  ;D. Great spot though!

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2020, 10:12:30 PM »
Ohhh maaannn! That's me, for sure.

I love the sound of this and have no nits. I think it's going to be running through my head for a while. Very good. Excellent. Love it.

Thanks Vicki, much appreciated.  One of the things I like about songwriting is when you come up with a tune for a chorus that you can hang the rest of the song off.  I think it's one of the most important parts, making people remember it once it's finished.