konalavadome

You Owe Me - Ashes for Dreams

• 26 Replies

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2020, 04:24:21 PM »
This is a beautiful and expressive piece. I'd love to hear more of those high notes from you, Karen! You have an impressive range! You can sing both lower and higher than I can. Of course, that's pretty easy to manage these days.  :P :-\ ::)

I think I'm going to go listen again so I can focus more on the backing vocals this time.

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2020, 10:38:38 PM »
Well the star of the show is definitely the chorus on this one! Sooo good....and that melody twist on the word “you” is sublime!!😱🥳👍🏻 You sing the shiitake mushroom out of this Karen!👏🏻🌹👏🏻🌹 The music is great and supports the piece very well without getting in the way. Well done Jam! Mix sounds great.👍🏻

Only nit, and I say this with upmost respect is that the verse melody is a bit...beige...I know u want the chorus to really stand out which it does and it’s super fab, but I just feel u could have worked the verse melody a little more. Just my thoughts...BUT the great thing about THAT chorus is that it makes you hit replay...which is what it’s all about right?🤩🎶🎶👊🏻🎶🎶

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2020, 11:35:31 PM »
Thank you all for the lovely feedback - as noted this is high and the arrangement unusual for us so didn’t quite know what to expect so delighted with the positive reviews :)

@MrBouzouki  Pete thanks so much .. Yeah you’re not wrong about the high register.. We decided to leave the first chorus w/o BVs even though I recorded them as the arrangement is very sparse at that point - later there are a few layered BVs including one a full octave lower. I did play around with the “destroy you” line being lower to give it that impact actually when writing but in the end I think it suits the desperate theme of the chorus lyric up high.. But food for thought as always - thanks so much for the critical listen and great comments..

@PeteS  - hear you on the gaps - I’m a bit of a divil for them in my solo 1+1s.. It’s always a love or hate thing.… The percussive sound you mention is (@Jambrains can correct my description if I get it wrong) is a piano being struck (EzDrummer).. Thanks for the lovely comments Pete!

@Sebandme  - thanks so much.. completely chuffed!! And right back at you! :)

@pompeyjazz  yeah, we’re knocking them out alight.. Working on another at the mo… Such a delight for me.. thanks so much for your comments..

@MichaelA- dramatic, eh? Thanks a milll for that insight.. I don’t think actually we’ve done anything like this before but I see what you mean and those are some lovely comments you are throwing our way so thanks so much, so very much appreciated!

@moraamarolaloba Muchas gracias Mora! You're so lovely.. Much appreciated!

@kafla  - too kind, sir! Thank you so much..

@jacksimmons  - thanks a mill… We’ll have a look at that vocal / the treatment you note.. Appreciate the critical listen..

@Paulski  - thanks.. Lol yes I know the contrast between the delivery and the words is stark.. Caused some consternation before we gave into it! :)

@PaulAds  - well that’s some review! I thank you most profusely !!

@adamfarr  - thanks.. great comments.. Hear you on the lyric and it’s a very good suggestion to use “debt” .. I did go work a version based on your that.. You never know, it might make its way into a future rework..  I think this one is settled in though - my chorus reworking went nowhere… (I sometimes think that songs take on a life of their own)  I think it might be the same with the M8.. Again - thanks so much!

Hey @Unclenny  - thanks a mill :) Yes the instrumentation & production are fab. It was such a pleasure to sing to this track.. .

@rightly  - thanks a mill :) You are too kind entirely!

@5 guys named Lars  - Thanks so much.. delighted..

@CaliaMoko  - well you made me check my range as you know.. I always thought I had quite a narrow range actually - I’m getting braver.. Thanks a mill - means a lot!

@Melusine2  - thanks a mill.. :)

@LostBoy  … well yeah you’re not wrong that the verse has little movement melodically - it’s actually just two notes.. Thanks re that and the rest… So not used to singing way up there in the clouds but I seem to be doing more of it.. Much appreciated.

Thanks again all.. blown away by the comments..

K

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2020, 01:22:56 PM »
@MonnoDB
I've not heard you make a bad recording so far and this keeps up your sensational standard. Your singing is sublime and this is a wonderfully evocative, atmospheric piece. The instruments are beautifully played and arranged and the whole thing is wondrous to my ears. A lovely thing indeed.
M

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2020, 09:53:01 AM »
@MonnoDB,

Lovely bold piano chords and such a beautiful sound too.  Great voice and fine balance of instruments. The guitar compliments the piano so well. A vocalist with range is always or character is always the greatest asset aside from songwriting ability. Fortunately, you have all three.  I'd possibly consider an alternative, perhaps male backing vocal to add more power and balance to the chorus and contrast with your main vocal. Other than that, it's engaging and emotional. A super presentation.

Paul

Grubstar

• Open Mic
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2020, 03:57:18 PM »
Hi @MonnoDB @Jambrains

What a terrific ballad so beautifully sung and played. I dont know how you achieved those high notes in the chorus but they really are effective. Loved the sad lyrics and the production as usual is 1st class, anther great collaboration from you two.

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2020, 08:02:45 PM »
@Grubstar thanks so much.. Not sure how I hit them either :) ! Lovely comments..

@Wicked Deeds thanks so much for the listen and those lovely comments.. Actually we did have a version with @Jambrains on BVs when we were playing around with it at the beginning. :) it did sound lovely! Thanks again..

@montydog high praise indeed from you thank you so much.. means a lot...

Thank you all - your listening and comments are very much appreciated..

K

man made material

• Solo Gig
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2020, 09:01:09 AM »
@MonnoDB  what a beautiful song, stunning production too, I would agree with some to reduce the length of some of the pauses although I like where they are... I’m interested, is there some processing on the high vocals? It reminds of some early goldfrapp tracks and how the high notes were warped slightly, it’s a really cool effect however it was achieved and it’s a brilliant vocal throughout 👌👌
Sound formed in a vacuum may seem a waste of time...

man made material

• Solo Gig
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2020, 09:08:48 AM »
I also think that the desperate dark sentiment of the lyrics ‘ Don’t leave, please stay, you owe me. Stay, don’t leave or I’ll destroy you’ are delivered so sweetly, like an innocent smile whilst toying with a knife!😁
Sound formed in a vacuum may seem a waste of time...

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2020, 11:37:32 PM »
@man made material - thanks a mill .. yes indeed a desperate threat :).. See @Jambrains answer above re the vocal processing :) !

Karen