konalavadome

Doubts

• 16 Replies

jacksimmons

• Solo Gig
    • Jack Simmons Music Facebook Page
« on: November 12, 2020, 11:19:42 PM »
I have been struggling these last few days. I was happy with a song (Growing Pains) but every time I return to it I feel a different way. I woke up the last two mornings, listened to a few new songs, and felt happy and content and like I was on the right track. By the evening I am ready to throw in the towel. I know this all comes down to my production skills (or lack thereof) and general feelings of self-doubt.

It is going to be impossible for me right now, but I feel like I need a 'radio-ready' song/album, and everything I am producing right now falls very short. It has left me in a bit of a funk.

I feel incredibly pressured to make these new songs sound great because I really feel like, with a good band behind me, I might be able to make something of them next year when things start going back to normal and I can gig them.

Do you guys ever get like this?
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jack-simmons-1/albums
Bandcamp: https://jacksimmonsmusic.bandcamp.com/

"When I play a dope melody, anything less than the best is a felony." - Robert Matthew Van Winkle

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 08:52:19 AM »
Hi @jacksimmons I think it's a pretty natural reaction to have doubts about your own work. After all, we're human !! Being objective, you have a whole load of well written, performed and produced songs and I don't think that you've got anything to worry about. You've also got youth on your side, so just go for it  :)

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 09:40:21 AM »
I think everyone feels the same but we're asking a lot - these days we are trying to be writer, artist (on our best and not so good instruments), recording engineer, producer, mixer, masterer, IT person, marketing person, PR person, legal person...

I think to an extent you have to trust the process. Do we need 10,000 hours on each of these things? I don't know - but the key is to keep moving forward.

Also comparison is the thief of joy - who are you comparing yourself to? Someone who has a team of people doing all the above? (but then also a record company robbing them of musical freedom and potentially having to work with people they hate and hangers-on trying to make a quick dollar). Or anyone on this forum? Then ask them for input. If you compare yourself to anyone then I'd say perhaps compare yourself to you 5 years ago and see how far you've come (and so what you could achieve in the next 5).

This stuff is really hard - and I think we are awesome in doing what we do. I also think you are a standout in this forum - you consistently turn out top quality work, so you are already a step ahead.

It's great that you want to take a leap forward and be as good as you can be. I think you'll be fine patiently doing what you're doing. And learning from others - maybe do some cowrites or get someone to produce something for you in their own way and see what they do that works or you don't like. Or leave your normal style and current songs to one side and do something totally different (a 1+1, metal, salsa, jazz, punk, hiphop whatever) and develop your ear and skills that way. The forum challenges can be a good way of writing something new that maybe isn't what you want to be remembered for in the short term - but which adds to your experience and skills for the longer term.

Even in 5 years you'll probably still be dissatisfied! But maybe you'll also look back and say wow look how far I have come...

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2020, 10:28:16 AM »
There's an old Chinese proverb which says that "whether you think you can - or you think you can't...you're probably right"

I bought your last album and it's obvious that you have more than enough talent to be successful.

I suppose it perhaps depends what you are aiming for.

As Joe Jackson excellently said "You can't get what you want 'til you know what you want"
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

5 guys named Lars

• Solo Gig
    • 5 Guys Named Lars- Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2020, 10:59:36 AM »
Its a dull answer but just keep working hard Jack. You`ve obviously got a lot of talent but you`ve still got to put the work in..but for yourself not for anyone else..otherwise you`re going to look back at the age of 53 & ask yourself "why didn`t I give it my best shot?" You´ve made a great start by making good songs & getting radio play & if you can build on this by getting out & meeting people that matter (when we can) you`ve got a great chance.

Kafla

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2020, 11:39:40 AM »
I feel exactly the same @Jack Simmons

I find the whole thing cyclical from the euphoria of writing and producing to depression and wondering why I even bother...

I think fatigue sets in as by the time you throw the song out there you’ve probably listened to it 100 times so you devalue your creation...time can be great for throwing some perspective and I now look back on my creations with great pride and a little shock that I even made that happen...

For that it’s worth I think your top class...I expect that to raise a little smile and make you feel good but later tonight you’ll forget I wrote that and let the doubt win again 🤣

Chill my friend and keep producing amazing music 😍😍😍😍

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2020, 11:55:24 AM »
Spot on @jacksimmons.  I have produced a lot of songs this year and with each one I have learnt a lot, especially from the guys on here, so I feel the need to improve each time.  I'm now trying to pull 12 together into an album which means revisiting some of the earlier ones to the highest standard I can and some days I just get so depressed by it. 

I am old no and have very little ambition for my music but you are young enough to have those ambitions to gig and try to make something of it.  So believe in your music, write the bad days off and keep doing it!  You produce great stuff!
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA
Instagram @echodogsofficial

jacksimmons

• Solo Gig
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2020, 11:59:54 AM »
I have to thank you all for your amazing replies. I have had another pass at a song or two and am feeling more confident again. Brought all the faders down, remixed, and did it fast and without dwelling. I won't touch it now.

It's comforting to hear of people going through similar stuff. I sometimes think I wouldn't be doing this at all if it weren't for the help and support of this forum over the last three or four years. It really has been invaluable.

I guess as creatives a lot of us are doomed to this cycle of self doubt.

I love this place.

"When I play a dope melody, anything less than the best is a felony." - Robert Matthew Van Winkle

Sebandme

• Open Mic
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2020, 05:32:16 PM »
@Jack Simmons nice thread! How interesting you brought this up. I am constantly like this, to the stage where i think ill just sell all my gear no point in me having it no listens to me anyway! Im not old......well 37 is that middle age? But one thing ive realised here is how important being creative is and how that makes me feel! Sure id love to gig get signed and all the rest of it......but dont lose sight of being creative thats key, chill,time is definitely on your side and just express yourself if your songs are that good production wont be massive issue as people will hear just how strong they are regardless! Keep going!! 😁😁

jacksimmons

• Solo Gig
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2020, 01:46:18 PM »
@Jack Simmons nice thread! How interesting you brought this up. I am constantly like this, to the stage where i think ill just sell all my gear no point in me having it no listens to me anyway! Im not old......well 37 is that middle age? But one thing ive realised here is how important being creative is and how that makes me feel! Sure id love to gig get signed and all the rest of it......but dont lose sight of being creative thats key, chill,time is definitely on your side and just express yourself if your songs are that good production wont be massive issue as people will hear just how strong they are regardless! Keep going!! 😁😁

Cheers @Sebandme you are so right. Being creative for the sake of creating is the most important thing. I think everything else comes easier if you can hold on to that. Ofc it's easier said than done...

Your stuff sounds great btw. Always impressed with your production skills.

The S

• Solo Gig
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2020, 09:10:12 AM »
to the stage where i think ill just sell all my gear no point in me having it

I chuckled.

Nice to know I'm not the only one thinking that from time to time.

Us creatives, we just have to keep on trucking that's all.

All the best,

Peter

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2020, 11:53:17 PM »
Every song, every vocal... :)

Keep the faith @jacksimmons - you have something very special..

I hope you have people whose opinions you trust who you can bounce stuff off in rawer forms in a "is this good / shite?" kinda way when you're struggling to move forward with something for whatever reason, self-doubt being one of those reasons? It can help you validate what your'e doing or help you change direction as appropriate.. I think what's become vital to me is being able to do that..

Keep doing what you're doing..

K

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2020, 07:25:25 PM »
I think self doubt creeps in when we start to excessively analyse what we are doing.  Not intending to offend anyone, I'd say that the review process can sometimes hinder our progress if we are not strong enough to stand back and believe in ourselves. My starting point when I sit down to write is that I am going to create something beautiful and memorable and i really believe that too. I'd say hat's the best mindset for all of us to adopt.  Producing a song can seriously test our self belief.  Sometimes, I think that a production needs to be tamed - it can get pretty wild at times. You need persistence and the skills to get the track to do exactly what you want it to.  When you fail in that area, it can dent your confidence  also as a writer.  When I was away from the forum, I concentrated on my writing once again and I believe everything fell into place.  I also told myself that I was not going to obsessively go over and over my productions because it simply doesn't enhance my life.  From there, a degree of peace and satisfaction grew.

Paul

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2020, 12:37:18 PM »
@Jack Simmons - Jack man, real stars can't see the bright light they shine out...You are one of the stars, just this lunchtime I was listening to the acoustic version of 'Habit of a Lifetime' what a great song, if you didn't do anything else I'd remember you for that.

Doubts are always constructive, they make one try even more to get it right, when the doubts are gone, that's when the mix, the arrangement the lyrics are right...

Just believe in yourself man..Look into your audience and say what have they got that's better than this?

Rich

Morefrog Jones

• Platinum Album
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2020, 08:06:41 PM »
I'm not sure if you pitch your stuff anywhere else but this site is a bit..."i'll tell you how good your song is  - If you tell me how good mine is"
You are probably not going to get proper feedback of any real value if you are trying to do music as real job or even to move on to the next level from bedroom songwriter.
Most people on here are pretty stuck in their ways (musically) (including Me) and wont have a true idea of whats current and even you as a young man you seem to be stuck in a "MICA" tribute act style.......and No i'm not being nasty....

**Edited by Boydie**
@Morefrog Jones - if you need to qualify a comment with “No, I’m not being nasty...” it is usually because you have said something nasty. It is almost the same as someone prefacing something with “I am not racist/sexist/homophobic but...”

Whilst I am sure many here would accept the general sentiment that putting a song here for review is different from commercially pitching to publishers/labels - it does not make either any more or less “valid”

It is like someone painting a picture and then being immediately told it doesn’t look like a Van Gough and won’t sell for millions. Not everyone paints/writes to make money so please approach songs with an open mind, rather than applying your own preconceived notions about what people want to achieve

To be fair, the onus must be on the people posting songs to be clear about the feedback they want - eg if they ARE asking whether a song is commercially viable then the feedback could be different from someone who has written a song for their mum

**Back to the original post**

i think you are more talented than most on here and your songs are very good......Personally I think your style suits The Musical Theatre Style - If i had your talent I'd write a musical.....I see you are from Bristol....How About - Edward Colston - The Musical....Imagine the PR you'd get from that .....if you approached your local Paper...they'd being throwing government grants at you from all angles.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 11:45:08 AM by Boydie »