Forum Faves - October 2020

• 8 Replies

jacksimmons

• Solo Gig
    • Jack Simmons Music Facebook Page
« on: November 09, 2020, 11:31:12 PM »
Hi guys! I had become a bit of a forum lurker these last few months, so it's been a real treat to get stuck in again and pay close attention to all of your output. I found this hard. There were plenty of great songs to choose from. I've narrowed it down to these five corkers.

In no particular order…

Magic Ship by @Beebeesmith

Absolutely infectious from the get go. Super atmospheric and yet still immediate enough to sing a long to after just a couple of listens. Everything about this production is a masterclass in classic songwriting; the production is crisp and clean like an old 70s tune you'd forgotten, the chorus melody is hooky as hell, and the vocal has the tone and quality of a Brandon Flowers or similar indie stars - I would not be surprised to hear it coming out of my car stereo. Stay tuned right to the end for a bonus guitar noodle I could only knock out in my dreams.

Sunshine Smile by @Neil C

Neil manages to make something super uplifting yet nostalgic and melancholy all at once with this throwback to late 60s-early 70s pop. This song is carefully constructed, deliberate, and nothing is out of place; a great laid back guitar solo, lovely jangly acoustics, a tune you can't not sing, and those strings are heavenly. This one made me sad for the way things were just a year or so ago, but imbued me with a new kind of hopefulness. Perfect.

Put Your Hands Together & Scream by @5 guys named Lars

This one passed the pop test straight away: I heard it early on in my quest for forum faves and have been singing it around the house ever since. Sometimes you hear a song and think, "Damn, that's annoying, I wish I had written that hook." Such is the case with the chorus for Put Your Hands Together & Scream. The wonderfully chaotic vocals on this range from background freakouts to choir-like harmonies to sing-rap verse vocals, and it all hangs together brilliantly with production from @pompeyjazz. Is this song pessimistic? Like Sunshine Smile it had me feeling a strange mix of sad and hopeful. I couldn't immediately put my finger on it, but the subject matter, verses verging on the hip-POP, and choir-like backing brought to mind Where Is the Love by Black Eyed Peas, and I say that with the highest of respects to you guys and the Peas.

I Regret by @SlavaB

https://soundcloud.com/slavab/slava-b-i-regret-mp3/s-gd4tI04O8dk

This one took me the furthest from my comfort zone. It takes a lot for me to listen to something this heavy and gritty, but the vocals here are wicked cool and infectious. Like a mash up of metal and 80s post-punk, this one smacks you about the face and, at a punchy two minutes twenty seven, invites you back straight away for more. And what's more, it seems to have slipped under the radar in the Finished Songs section. I've listened to this many times. I want to start a riot.

PS. This one had trouble embedding, so I have provided a straight forward link.

Try by @MonnoDB

MonnoDB has a sweet, timeless voice reminiscent of late 80s and early 90s pop rock. I could probably listen to her sing the phonebook. As it is, she's singing this brilliantly melodic tune, and its the juxtaposition between the sugary sweet vocals and the hard rocking production from @Jambrains that makes this one so special. And listen to it - the guitar riff, the drums, the bass - everything drives forward perfectly. "Put your arms around me, hold me close." That melody. Exactly what the doctor ordered.

There we have it guys. Such a fantastic selection of tunes it was hard to narrow it down to just five. Give them all a listen. Heap on your praise. :)

« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 05:06:07 AM by jacksimmons »
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jack-simmons-1/albums
Bandcamp: https://jacksimmonsmusic.bandcamp.com/

"When I play a dope melody, anything less than the best is a felony." - Robert Matthew Van Winkle

5 guys named Lars

• Solo Gig
    • 5 Guys Named Lars- Soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 06:51:28 AM »
Wow.. @jacksimmons  :) thank you for the kind words..I know as I always say that one mans Dave is another mans Derek & its only one mans opinion (even if that man Jack is wise, smart, brilliant, handsome & talented)  but I`m going to be unbearable today with a swagger the size of a Kardashians ass.
I´ve decided that my gravestone is going to say "He was a bit of a twat but "Put your hands up passed the pop test straight away.I heard it on.." (etc..etc).
I also have to say that if I was producing it I`d be finished in about 2025 (and it would still sound shit) so big ups to my "DJ PJ" @pompeyjazz in da house.
Thanks again Jack, apart from my own they`re a great bunch of songs you`ve chosen & there were a lot of great ones on the forum in October so it must have been difficult.

Kafla

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 08:05:23 AM »
Great selection @jacksimmons  :D

I don’t know how I missed try by ashes @MonnoDB that’s a tune and a half !

Wonderful selection highlighting the supreme talent on the forum ❤️❤️

SlavaB

• Open Mic
  • Born to Rock
    • Official Web Site
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 08:33:24 AM »
Hi Jack,

Thank you so much for your very kind words, im extremely glad that my work went in your top 5s.

❤️🙏👍

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 02:07:35 PM »
Hey @jacksimmons thanks so much for the pick! Completely delighted and love your write up! @5 guys named Lars deserves an extra prize for his acceptance speech 😁!! Thanks a mill for taking on the mammoth task - such great songs in that line up as well as many others as you said.

Chuffed entirely!!

K

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2020, 11:33:36 AM »
Good job this month @jacksimmons, some top tunes there. Well done to you and those selected.  ;)

My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2020, 12:11:21 PM »
Great eclectic selection! Thanks for getting stuck in!

jacksimmons

• Solo Gig
    • Jack Simmons Music Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2020, 08:11:30 PM »
It was a pleasure guys. Would be more than happy to do it again in the future next time a vacancy needs filling.

(even if that man Jack is wise, smart, brilliant, handsome & talented)

And you've just won yourself a slot next time I host too. ;)
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jack-simmons-1/albums
Bandcamp: https://jacksimmonsmusic.bandcamp.com/

"When I play a dope melody, anything less than the best is a felony." - Robert Matthew Van Winkle