Au Revoir

• 20 Replies

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« on: November 09, 2020, 01:05:08 AM »
This one started out as a lyrics challenge: Write a song lyric that has a phrase from another language.
So - despite the title,  I'm not really going anywhere - but I would appreciate any feedback - good bad or, constructive  ;D

https://soundcloud.com/paulcanuck/au-revoir

Au Revoir

Au revoir, mon ami, au revoir
Au revoir to the nights when we set the world on fire
I'll try to get by without your light in my life

Goodbye my dear friend goodbye
Goodbye to the nights when we laughed until we cried
I'll try to get by without your light in my life
Goodbye my dear friend goodbye

Au revoir to the times when we set the world on fire
I'll try to survive without your light in my life
Au revoir, mon ami
Au revoir, mon ami
Au revoir, mon ami
Goodbye.

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 01:37:41 AM »
Ah man, this is just really lovely mate! Great melody, backing and when the Bv’s come in it just goes to another level. Well done for showing restraint with those, I’m not sure that I wouldn’t have just put them everywhere!!😆👍🏻

Great to hear another song from you Paul. I’ve always enjoyed your songs.😄🎶👊🏻🎶

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 07:13:08 PM »
Love those jazzy chords Mr @Paulski This is a perfect little pop song that belongs to another age. Digging that bass sound and the little breaks that you drop in. The backing vocals are lovely as well. You've showed restraint in only including them towards the end as I would have had them all over the place  :) Fab ending as well  :)

Kafla

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 11:36:07 AM »
God, you've done a good job of arranging this...the instrumentation is ace, ace, ace!

I would maybe dial back the reverb on the vocal a little...

Love the mid 8 - so skilful the way you have played everything....

And the last verse harmonies and ending are just totally perfect...Elvis is still alive ;)

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 12:17:25 PM »
@Paulski
Lots to like hear, classic chord changes and lyrics make it come across as a list standard.
Then live the little touches, the brushes, twinkling piano and those lovely period backing vocals.
Top notch
:-)
neil

songwriter of no repute..

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2020, 12:59:32 PM »
What can I add? Short sweet simple and lovely!

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2020, 02:35:24 PM »
@Paulski

Hi Paul, I was transported to the French Riviera, a quayside cafe surrounded by the smell of onions, garlic and gauloise ;). Lovely authentic period piece with your smooth vocal delivery, and the instrumentation and arrangement was brilliant!

Cheers

Jamie

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2020, 02:52:07 PM »
Hi @Paulski , what a little charmer of a tune this is. I especially liked the instrumental break and the subtle mini build when the sweet harmonies came in. I’d actually be very sorry to see this musical friend leave, hope he sticks around 😀

Would have been easy to overcook this, but you kept it refreshingly simple and maintained a kind of old fashioned innocence to it which I found very engaging. Lovely!
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2020, 01:22:06 PM »
Allo?

@Paulski
It has been a trip to nostalgia, to those sounds of those soft songs that made you feel good, that made you believe that everyone was happy ... What a charming experience! Your voice in French is very beautiful
very nice sensations oh la la!!!

Mora
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

5 guys named Lars

• Solo Gig
    • 5 Guys Named Lars- Soundcloud
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2020, 06:33:34 AM »
What a voice!! Those backing vocals are just great Paul and the playing sounds really accomplished. Mersey bewcoops. :)

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2020, 02:07:43 PM »
Full marks for this Paulski. Expert work with the 2 guitars. Vocals also sublime as would expect from you. The song has staying power despite its compact form. A good example of economical editing.  Perfect length. Cheers Micky

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2020, 01:21:13 PM »
@LostBoy - cheers Leo - means a lot coming from you  :D I guess I could have brought the harmonies in sooner - but it's already pretty cheezy  ;D

@pompeyjazz - thanks John Appreciate the kind words. Glad you like the doghouse bass  ;D

@kafla - thanks for that - the M8 was a verse kicked off from the sub-dominant - the challenge was getting back to the original key (which I'm not convinced I met)  ;D

@Neil C  - cheers Neil. Yeah chord progression is stolen from the 30's I'm sure.

@adamfarr - thanks Adam - I'm a big fan of short and sweet 8)

@Jamie - thanks Jamie. The French Riviera was the vibe I was shooting for. Wouldn't that trip be nice these days?

@MichaelA - thanks Michael - made my day with that comment - "engaging"  :D

@moraamarolaloba thanks Mora - very kind of you. Canada is a bilingual country I'm proud to say. I wish I knew more French but it's hard too teach an old dog new tricks  :D

@5 guys named Lars - thanks!  :D

@mickyplankton - thanks for the kind comments Micky. "compact" - Hehe I'm a believer of "Say what you're going to say and get off the f*cking stage!"  ;D

Hope I didn't miss anyone - if I did merci to you too  8) 8)

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2020, 03:59:32 PM »
Or "Our River" as we would pronounce it in the very cultured north-east of England.

Great vocals and I love the way the other instruments crept in...excellent, relaxed feel to the whole thing...with a couple of lovely high harmonies thrown in.

When Newcastle United signed some European footballers back in the 90s...my mate and I used to laugh at the way they'd go all continental trying to stumble though pronouncing "Phillipe Albert" and "Lauren Robert" in their finest Geordie accents.

Of course, they weren't as able to get their chops around words the way you can :)

This is tres bien which, up north, is French for "Three beans"

Probably.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2020, 02:26:58 PM »
Or "Our River" as we would pronounce it in the very cultured north-east of England.

Great vocals and I love the way the other instruments crept in...excellent, relaxed feel to the whole thing...with a couple of lovely high harmonies thrown in.

When Newcastle United signed some European footballers back in the 90s...my mate and I used to laugh at the way they'd go all continental trying to stumble though pronouncing "Phillipe Albert" and "Lauren Robert" in their finest Geordie accents.

Of course, they weren't as able to get their chops around words the way you can :)

This is tres bien which, up north, is French for "Three beans"

Probably.

Cheers @PaulAds - I've been meaning to send a link to a friend of mine who speaks fluent French to see how badly I've mucked up the pronunciation but I've been afraid to do it  ;D Meanwhile merci buckets for the kind words  ;D

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2020, 09:08:20 PM »
@Paulski,

How to compete with a truly wonderful songsmith. All of your skill as a writer is on show here and I love it.  My partner Marie would love this too as it would remind her of her home in France which, she misses dearly.  Great instrumentation  here. Everything has it's place and comes in perfectly to enhance the song when necessary.

Brilliant!

Paul