konalavadome

Garageband users question

• 9 Replies

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« on: November 06, 2020, 11:38:42 AM »
I am getting a click when I add an audio region to the end on an existing region.  Probably not noticeable on loud guitar parts but on a quiet acoustic part its very noticeable.

Anyone else getting that?
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA
Instagram @echodogsofficial

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2020, 12:24:54 PM »
This maybe isn't what you mean...but if it's adding more audio to the end of an existing track...I always go back a few bars on a duplicate track and pick up the playing from there...then it's easier to find the best place to split the audio on both tracks at the same place and cut the audio across from the supplemental track over to the original

heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2020, 12:40:02 PM »
If you are playing into a mic (via amp) it might be your noise gate setting is too low.

If you are directly inputting the instrument via a GB virtual amp, then I have tried this when it’s mysteriously happened to me too: only add the new region in dead space for that instrument. Then use automation to zero out the volume across the click. Not exactly elegant, but there will be no more click!  ;)
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2020, 12:48:40 PM »
@PaulAds That's pretty much what I am doing but when I cut them together there's a click.  A lot more googling and Logic users are saying that there is always a click when you join audio files.

@MichaelA I am recording into a mic and I eventually stumbled on doing exactly what you suggested.  Not great though as it introduces automation where it's not needed.  At least it worked!
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2020, 12:59:28 PM »
You'll likely have tried the age-old method of doing the split at a silent part, or, failing that, masking the join behind a snare hit or something?

I recorded quite a few acoustic guitar+vocal songs a while back and found it almost impossible to do any cutting or punching-in on the original mic-recorded guitar track without making a horses ass of it.

I just had to record it again...aarrgghhh
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2020, 01:18:26 PM »
Hi there.. I’m an idiot when it comes to mixing and use Logic rather than GarageBand but I recognise what you’re describing. My VERY CRUDE (don’t laugh) way of dealing with it when all else fails is to use 2 tracks and use volume automation to switch between the two - go to zero on the first track when the second comes in, and zero up to that point on the second.

Not very elegant and introducing new tracks in is far from ideal but....

K

Kafla

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2020, 01:41:32 PM »
You'll likely have tried the age-old method of doing the split at a silent part, or, failing that, masking the join behind a snare hit or something?

quite possibly the greatest piece of advice ever...and right up my street lol

Im always hiding pops and farts in songs behind various things...my favourite is a single note of another instrument haha

Ive literally just hidden a door slamming in the background by automating the volume to zero and straight back up...stuff re-recording!

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2020, 02:00:09 PM »
@PeteS,

I was browsing the forum despite my self imposed break and noticed your question. I haven't read the other replies but my solution working in Logic Pro x, the big btother of garageband would be to add a fade to the audio track. I often do this and silence is golden - it works every time!

Paul
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 02:21:36 PM by Wicked Deeds »

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2020, 12:49:49 PM »
@PeteS

This is a VERY common issue when joining audio clips

It is best practice to ALWAYS add a slight fade out to the previous clip and a slight fade in to the audio clip you are placing behind it (the fade only need to be VERY slight that you won’t notice one fading out and the other fading in - just enough to “smooth” the join

Some DAWs will do this automatically

The “click” occurs because there is a “jolt” in the waveform

If you imagine the waveform going up and down a centre line, some of the waveform is “above” and then it snakes “below” this centre line

If you join 2 pieces of audio you could be joining a point where the waveform if below the centre line directly with another clip that has been cut whilst in the upper half - you will then lose the smooth line of the natural waveform, which results in the click

This would be soo much easier to show with diagrams but hopefully you get the point

The point where the waveform crosses the centre line is known as the “zero crossing” - you can set some DAWs to always cut at this point to minimise the risk of this “clicking” in an attempt to keep a smooth waveform - however this can still be a bit “hit and miss” so the age old fading out then fading in of clips is the way to go

If you overlap the clips slightly some DAWs will automatically put in a “cross fade”, which is the same as fading method but the clips overlap, which often gives smoother results
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2020, 04:50:52 PM »
Thanks for all the tips guys, I’ve added a small fade and all fixed.