konalavadome

Mastering - what is it, and why should I care

• 39 Replies

Mr.Chainsaw

• Solo Gig
« on: January 11, 2012, 04:56:08 PM »
Ramshackles mentioned he's getting his EP mastered (dude, let me know when your selling those things so you can hook me up :) ). But what IS mastering?

Seriously, is it just e.q.ing the track to sound nice, or what? Why would you need Someone else to do it?

Peter
Everything is easier said than done.

Except talking.

That's about the same.

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 05:56:57 PM »
OO, tricky question.
Mastering is giving the final 'professional' sheen to your music. This in itself covers many things.
Most of mastering would be given over to preparing your music for specific formats (CD, Vinyl etc) and delivering, e.g. a 'redbook' master CD if thats you're required format which can be used for duplication.
Another large proportion of mastering would be increasing the loudness of your mix to modern standards, while at the same time avoiding the negative artefacts that can occur when increasing loudness (e.g., if you just turn up the fader in your DAW to a loudness comparable to the songs in your itunes, you will probably distort your music. If you do the normal 'mastering' you might do your self and just put a plugin limiter on the stereo mix you might introduce 'pumping' sounds or decrease the dynamic range so much that it causes listening fatigue). A pro engineer will have some very expensive limiters and compressors at his disposal to get the necessary gain without so much of the side effects.

A main part of mastering, to me, is to get another pair of ears to go through your mix critically with a fine toothed comb! A pro will of course, lend an unbiased and purely technical ear that will pick up on things you didnt, either because of your bias (it's your work) or because you have simply listened to it too many times. What they will do may depend on problems in the song: The frequency image may be distorted (too much bass, resonant freq's etc) and that would be corrected with EQ. They may be unintentional noise which needs reducing, or pops and clicks that need removing. The stereo image may be unnaturally wide or thin, which could be corrected.

IMO, mastering is only mastering if you are using a professional, outside mastering engineer. You could slap a limiter on your track and say you've 'mastered' it, but then it's missing the point.
It's also only useful (I think) if you are mastering a collection of songs at once - EP, album etc... It's about making sure all these seperate songs sit well together.
Theres not point just mastering single songs which you might just put on your website or anything. For one thing it wouldnt be worth the money, IMO. Then you really might aswell slap a limiter on to bring up the volume :D

Hmmm..I'm rambling a lot, wikipedia has a big article on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_mastering

2 of the biggest mastering studios in the world have this to say:

http://sterling-sound.com/?page_id=274
http://www.abbeyroadonlinemastering.com/faq.aspx

And this, I think, is just a good article:
http://therecordingrevolution.com/2010/03/15/does-my-album-need-mastering/

It brings up a great point - mastering wont make your songs better!

Ok, dont listen to my rambling and just read those articles.

BTW, our EP I hope will be available by the end of january/early february, thanks!

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 12:20:19 AM »
hmmm. You've sold it to me.
That's one thing that is frustrating me right now. I feel I have songs with all parts written and recorded that are good
but the quality of the sound is letting it down even though sometimes i think it's only in a minor way.
As part of the whole process of writing and recording my songs, I have been trying to learn how to do it all myself, and I do
spend a lot of time altering volume level of instruments, adding compression, taking the edge of vocals, fading things in or out to basically bring it all
as close to a proffessional sound as I can but I don't know if that is mastering or mixing?
It sounds attractive to me that if I have spent so much time on something, to have it polished and ready for display :)
Is it expensive to get a song mastered and can you do it online?
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 12:32:09 AM »
Thats mixing. A mastering engineer only works with the final 'mixdown' (the stereo audio file of the finished song). They generally require 44.1 KHZ/24 bit wav or aiff files.

The last link I posted I think had one of the best and most important paragraphs:

" The fact of the matter is that the two biggest benefits to mastering have nothing to do with the special “gear” or “techiques” that we tend to associate it with.
When you send your tracks out for mastering you’re looking for two things: a fresh set of ears and intentional finalizing of your album. By having a mastering engineer listen to your final mixes, you’re getting a huge advantage…honesty. Said engineer isn’t going to lie to himself that the bass sounds better than it does, or that your EQ balance is perfect. Just the opposite; his job is to simply assess the mixes as a whole, and make sure they are balanced just right. If that means he has to adjust some dynamics and EQ, then he’ll do it. And he won’t feel bad about it. This is crucial as we all tend to lie to ourselves about our mixes.
The second major point to mastering is you have someone who takes the process seriously. To the mastering engineer, this is not some quick finishing touches; this is his speciality and his job. He wants to be as intentional as possible about making sure the songs are clear, punchy, translatable onto many systems, and in general just sounding good together as a unified album. If you and I are playing the part of musician, engineer, mixer, and mastering engineer, we’re probably about done with the songs by the time mastering roles around and we won’t take it as seriously."

I dont know if getting a single song is much use...but Im not really the person to talk to.

Like anything, you can pay all kinds of prices for mastering. And I guess the quality depends upon the price up to a point. Out of dedicated places that master online, the cheapest I've seen is around £30/song and the most expensive (abbey roads) is £90/song and they usually have extra charges for format (extra price for delivery of a master CD/Adat tape/a lot extra for a lacquer vinyl master etc etc).

The top-end mastering studios like sterling sound I guess dont even advertise their rates. You'd have to get in touch with the booking agent of the engineer you want to use...

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 12:38:04 AM »
Wow that is quite expensive, even the cheapest one. Expensive from my poor point of view I mean  :P
But I guess to be sure it's something that could actually be used quality wise it is a must do.
You have made me think about what I'm doing.
I'm going to try it out with a finished song. scarey haha!
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

Kafla

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 08:10:34 AM »
I got 3 songs mastered a while back on eBay - £21 for 3

Now for the price I though it was ok

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PROFESSIONAL-MASTERING-SERVICE-CD-DEMOS-KARAOKE-DJ-/360425061811?pt=UK_CDsDVDs_CDs_CDs_GL&hash=item53eb01fdb3#ht_5131wt_922

I was quite impressed and can post a song later if you want

One thing that I really liked was how loud the mix became

jim morrison

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 06:05:58 PM »
Cheers for sharing this knowledge Ramshackles, i found this very interesting
Learner guitarist

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 10:20:47 PM »
i wouldnt pay for mastering.... i might have done  if i was young  & super confident our music was the bees knees or just naive & deluded that we were going somewhere...but were not ...i mean realisticaly how many people actualy hear our stuff anyway? we post it here we send it to some friends who ignore it & then it sits on my computer forevermore...its a daft hobby with a fantasy attached
if i payed for mastering it would be because i was deluded
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 11:05:22 PM »
That's quite negative Nurse Tina  :P
I get why you are cynical though. Especially when nine times out of ten it's not about the music.
But good bands and artists do break through and some only much later. Like Elbow as an example.

I don't care how many people hear it. When I create a peice of art I want it to be the
best it can be.
I agree it's a lot of money if you don't actually intend to do anything with it  :P
I spent a long time not writing and barely picking up a guitar and it is years since I have performed on stage.
Also spent many years feeling I wasn't good enough.
The last time was in  around 1990-ish in a nationwide Battle Of The Bands comp in which we came 2nd (Only because we didn't have a singer).
I suffered from stage fright so bad that I gave up the dream haha
But I'm determined to at least get a band together. Do some gigs. I believe I can write good enough songs for it not to be a cover band.
And just see what happens. If I play pubs forever it will be more than I do now  :P
So most ( but not all ) of the songs I post on here are/and will be the first album/setlist.
I don't have enough complete yet but when I do I'm going for it. I'm 41 and don't care. I'd be happy with a small local
following.
I do intend to pursue other avenues as well though which would not put myself directly into the limelight, and age or whatever else
won't make any difference but mastering will  ;)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 11:15:22 PM by Schavuitje »

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 01:14:39 AM »
That's quite negative Nurse Tina  :P
I get why you are cynical though. Especially when nine times out of ten it's not about the music.
But good bands and artists do break through and some only much later. Like Elbow as an example.

I don't care how many people hear it. When I create a peice of art I want it to be the
best it can be.
I agree it's a lot of money if you don't actually intend to do anything with it  :P
I spent a long time not writing and barely picking up a guitar and it is years since I have performed on stage.
Also spent many years feeling I wasn't good enough.
The last time was in  around 1990-ish in a nationwide Battle Of The Bands comp in which we came 2nd (Only because we didn't have a singer).
I suffered from stage fright so bad that I gave up the dream haha
But I'm determined to at least get a band together. Do some gigs. I believe I can write good enough songs for it not to be a cover band.
And just see what happens. If I play pubs forever it will be more than I do now  :P
So most ( but not all ) of the songs I post on here are/and will be the first album/setlist.
I don't have enough complete yet but when I do I'm going for it. I'm 41 and don't care. I'd be happy with a small local
following.
I do intend to pursue other avenues as well though which would not put myself directly into the limelight, and age or whatever else
won't make any difference but mastering will  ;)
Thats a great outlook :)

Mastering isnt for everyone. It can be expensive and wont make wild differences to your songs. They will still be your melodies, instrumentation, lyrics, arrangement and mixing. And it's probably only useful if you intend to distribute an album/ep/song collection around (usually on CD, vinyl, but also download).

I'm a bit like schavuitje. If I'm gonna complete something I'm gonna do it the best I can. We don't really have any fans (although we did manage to entice a top engineer to master our stuff during his weekend :) can we count him?), but I'd like to put something out there that I think I've done well and seen through to the end. A real 'product'.

Probably we are deluded and if so; it's a hell of a lot of fun to be deluded :D

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 01:29:49 PM »
I don't think it's delusional to present your music as professionally as possible, unless you're expecting that to translate into pop stardom.

There are many ways of getting recognition and appreciation, and I would say if you have the money, why wouldn't you have you recordings mastered?

It doesn't have to cost the earth either. If your local college runs a music tech course, get in touch with the students. Research your local recording studios. Go to your local music events - you'll meet lots of people; some of them will know budding producers/ techies who may jump at the chance to test their skills on your music. If you don't like the outcome, don't use their masters.

If I ever finish my current round of recordings, I'm definitely outsourcing mixing and mastering.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 12:00:33 AM »
I don't think it's delusional to present your music as professionally as possible, unless you're expecting that to translate into pop stardom.

There are many ways of getting recognition and appreciation, and I would say if you have the money, why wouldn't you have you recordings mastered?

It doesn't have to cost the earth either. If your local college runs a music tech course, get in touch with the students. Research your local recording studios. Go to your local music events - you'll meet lots of people; some of them will know budding producers/ techies who may jump at the chance to test their skills on your music. If you don't like the outcome, don't use their masters.

If I ever finish my current round of recordings, I'm definitely outsourcing mixing and mastering.

It's definitely a great idea to outsource mixing and mastering if only for the extra pair of unbiased ears.
I didnt outsource the mixing of our EP for a few reasons. We dont have anywhere near the budget to call a well respected mixing guy who we knew would do a good job so of course turned to local studios. Local studios is a hit and miss scene which we've had bad experiences with in recording and tracking. The main reason being that because of the 'digital revolution' recording is accessible to just about anyone and therefore, just about anyone can set up a studio and charge people. There are no controls on the quality of material you might get from anyone and many/most local studios have no experience/dubious experience. If you look at the 'pro' guys, they have worked their way up from being assistants to the technician of the engineer of a producer and/or mixing engineer to get to where they are: I.E they have had a solid education and heard and seen a number of professional albums being recorded and mixed before they have even had a chance to mix.

So how to you find a good guy in local studio land? It's hard. Have a listen to their work, but chances are the work you will hear is their absolute best work - the few times they have managed to pull something off, or, if they are really sneaky they've paid a top engineer to mix their recording so they can put it on their site as 'their' work. Technically, it is their work, but if you are going to hire them to mix your song based on that, you are in for a rude surprise.

The moment that pushed me to mix it all myself was when we asked a local studio to mix a song. I got impressed by all the BS the guy was telling me about how long he has been doing this and his successes. He complimented us on a good job recording and said he would get a killer mix. So, we waited a while (he occasionally updated us with more BS emails saying stuff like 'I'm shaping the early reflections') and eventually it came back. It sounded god awful. Whats worse was the bill he expected (around £300 !!! ). I sent him an email pointing out everything that was wrong with his mix. It was so bad that I could even keep it very non-subjective and quite specific (stuff about the stereo image and width of different sections of the song, compression causing pumping artefacts, breaths and 'esses' being enhanced rather than reduced..).
What was more upsetting was that the guy clearly had no idea what I was talking about for most of the points. For an hour I was depressed that I knew and could hear way more than a guy that I was going to have to pay a stupid amount for doing something he couldn't do. Thankfully, I noticed a little point on his terms and conditions on his website which stated '...If you still don't like it, don't pay!'. PHEW! Now I knew that if ever felt like taking me to court, I was safe. I told him I wasnt paying and reminded him of that point.

But that was lucky. Many guys wouldnt have such a guarantee and then you have just paid for something you will never use. So, at least with mixing, you've got to be careful. Make sure the guy you are going to pay to do this can really do a better job than you. Insist on visiting his studio, ask to hear what he is currently working on. And always try to attend the mixing session if possible (and instantly walk away from guys who do not want you to attend). Fix a price before the session (do not pay hourly for mixing!).

Now, with mastering, I think it's slightly different as long as you stick with dedicated mastering houses/mastering engineers and/or you know what equipment they will be using.
Mastering is such a technical job, concerned with a fair amount of boring stuff - removing clicks, pops, noise, correcting a hundred other little niggly issues, tightening up bass, removing harshness in the high end, whatever, preparing everything for specific formats - that it's really only something a dedicated/serious engineer is going to do. It doesn't involve any creativity or actually making music or whatever it is that causes people to give up school/work and become an 'engineer'. I've never heard of a teenager desperate to become a mastering engineer.

But, you could still get ripped off. Again, it can be a local studio thing. I think a normal misunderstanding of the mastering process causes local studios to advertise 'mastering' services for £15 a song or whatever. What they really mean is they offer a 'We will make your song louder' service. And what this usually entails is just slapping a limiter on the track. You can do that yourself in whatever DAW you use. Get hold of Waves L1 or PSP's Xenon plugins (or whatever limiter you like) and put that on the stereo master channel. Keep the output level just below 0.0 and turn up the input. Hey presto! Loudness without clipping/distortion.

The difference between paying for mixing and paying for mastering is that when you start going to a dedicated mastering place, you know you are going to get proper mastering. Sure you can pay more and more and get supposedly more and more mastering, but there seems to be a 'base' level of professionalism which you dont get when paying people to mix. Who knows what you will get with that!

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 02:29:21 AM »
Very interesting.... It seems I have been trying to do the whole thing myself after reading that.

I spend hours trying to get rid of harsh breaths and long fuzzy esses! I spend hours pushing instruments into different

spaces, adding a bit of analogue warmth, panning, tweaking sounds until they are exactly how I want them.

It seems like I am mastering and mixing all at the same time and not doing a very good job of mastering :(

Getting better at mixing though. Each song seems to improve and I feel I am reaching a decent standard, although not there yet.

I would like help with those breaths and esses though if you can tell me how to do that :)

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 11:34:50 AM »
Very interesting.... It seems I have been trying to do the whole thing myself after reading that.

I spend hours trying to get rid of harsh breaths and long fuzzy esses! I spend hours pushing instruments into different

spaces, adding a bit of analogue warmth, panning, tweaking sounds until they are exactly how I want them.

It seems like I am mastering and mixing all at the same time and not doing a very good job of mastering :(

Getting better at mixing though. Each song seems to improve and I feel I am reaching a decent standard, although not there yet.

I would like help with those breaths and esses though if you can tell me how to do that :)

Well, breaths and essess are usually handled in mixing (A mastering engineer would only deal with them if the mixer didnt. But you dont want that as you want the guy to get on with the job of mastering :) )

You can use a De-esser to get rid of esses, but it can be a bit hit and miss. It's basically a frequency dependent compressor - it only acts on a specific frequency. It's a good idea to get one where you can control this frequency, because you can imagine that different voices and different performances have different frequencies for their ess sounds. Waves' RDe-esser is what I use (if I use one). It can still be problematic to use one, as for example, if you have you're esses at 7Khz and you set your De-esser to be quite brutal as the esses are fairly bad, it might start compressing other things - esses arent the only thing that have information at 7Khz. Your whole vocal might lose a bit of sparkle.

What I do often on the worst esses is manually draw them down. If you zoom far in on the waveform, it becomes fairly easy to spot an 's' sound. They look like rugby balls (or american footballs). I then just automate the volume to drop a few db for the duration of this 'rugby ball'.

It's a long process to get good at mixing and I cant say I'm anywhere near there yet. I think a lot is mostly learning to listen in the right way and then learning the tools. Having good, accurate speakers helps and from that respect having a well treated room I suppose is critical if you really want to hear whats going on.

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2012, 10:49:09 PM »
Just saw this great video from the guy who has just finished mastering our EP:

http://homerecordingbootcamp.com/2010/04/what-is-mastering/