Is GISC worth it?

• 4 Replies

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« on: October 29, 2020, 03:48:03 AM »
My membership is coming due and I haven't done anything with it in the past year. Of course, the past year wasn't a typical year due to medical upheaval in the family, but still I wonder. What should I be getting out of membership in the Guild of International Songwriters and Composers? Or should I be letting my membership lapse? Any opinions??

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2020, 09:22:06 AM »
@CaliaMoko - Depends how much it is, it might lend some heft to your profile on a web site for example, abit like letters after your name, adds some gavity to some people, for others they don't care.

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2020, 10:23:06 AM »
I was in GISC a number of years ago but let it expire. I wasn't sure what the beenfit was really, apart from their copyright service I suppose. Most of the other stuff re networking, collabing, showcasing etc can all be done online and through social media thee days...

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2020, 12:04:03 PM »
I haven’t been a member for a good few years now but from memory the main benefits were:

Copyright service
Song critiquing - they would give advice on whether a song was “commercial”
Legal advice on contracts, licensing etc.

Unfortunately they do not market themselves very well to song writers and just don’t seem “sexy” or modern - they came across as a bit “old fashioned”

I always found their services really good when I used them - and much better value than appointing legal representation

If you are writing commercially and actively pitching then I would say it is still worth the membership fee for the services they offer
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2020, 01:29:49 PM »
Thanks! Very helpful!

@cowparsleyman : That was one thing I used it for--adding another professional membership to my resume when applying for grants. I probably won't be applying for grants for a while, so I wondered if there was any other reason for continuing.

@Sing4me88 : I think I did use the copyright service for a couple of songs--can't remember for sure right now--but that's a definite consideration because I don't usually register my copyrights with the Library of Congress. It has gotten kind of expensive.

@Boydie : I have used the legal advice for a contract or two. I don't think I realized they provided song critique. That's good to know and maybe worthwhile enough by itself to keep it up.

Thank you all; that definitely helped.