konalavadome

Sunshine Smile

• 19 Replies

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« on: October 28, 2020, 02:27:39 PM »
Hi,
Here's my go at making up a simple upbeat pop tune in these tricky times. My influences are written all over it, but I had fun with the backing. Anyway hope you enjoy it and look forward to any feedback and comments, although I must confess I don't deserve any and owe a look of reviews, which I'll look to make up I promise..

:-) Neil

https://soundcloud.com/neilconnor-2/sunshine-smile-master-3-oct-2020

Here comes the wind
And down pours the rain
Looks like its one for those days again

Take it a face value
Or have a second look

So smile and say hello its a wonderful day
It won’t cost a thing, its worth its weight in gold

There’s a silver lining
Behind every cloud
So put a sunshine smile on your face

Your glass maybe half empty
But you can fill it up

Won’t cost a thing, worth its weight in gold

Won’t cost a thing, worth its weight in gold

c N Connor 2020
songwriter of no repute..

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2020, 04:52:25 PM »
@Neil C

Hi Neil, lovely 60's pop vibe to this with touches of The Beatles and ELO in there. The chord structure is lovely and is more complicated than it seems.You sing this very well and BV's sounded great.

Enjoyed it!

Cheers

Jamie

5 guys named Lars

• Solo Gig
    • 5 Guys Named Lars- Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2020, 07:00:52 AM »
I think this is great @Neil C . Lovely melodic verse & a catchy chorus. The feeling of the words match the music perfectly..roll on summer!! Like the Beatley solo, the strings sounds great & the 60`s organ is a nice touch. Well done man..great song.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2020, 08:16:23 AM »
Good to see you around the forum again @Neil C Is the intro Redtron ? Lovely melodic song with your trademark vocals. BV's very effective. Top class tune  :)

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2020, 08:07:01 PM »
This is such a warm cheery track - agree there's a real 60s feel to it.. really catchy melody.. Track, as ever, is beautifully played and produced.. lovely vocals - really suit the song..

Loved it @Neil C 

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2020, 08:49:56 PM »
Hola @Neil C

What a beautiful song, I really liked hearing it, it gave me a good vibe and makes me move in my chair ...
Very pretty, yes. Muy bonita.

Stay safe

Mora
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2020, 09:02:09 PM »
Yeah, this is in my top 2 of your songs mate, it’s a toss up between this and the song you did for your son years ago. Just great all around, lovely melody and music and the strings really lift it. I thought maaaaybe it could be a bit faster....but it was just a thought. Great job buddy.😄🎶👊🏻🎶

Grubstar

• Open Mic
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2020, 11:20:37 AM »
Hi Neil,

I really like this lovely upbeat pop song, great classic song structure and I really like the Sunshne Smile chorus. As usual great intrumentation and fabulous production.

Sebandme

• Open Mic
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2020, 05:01:07 PM »
What a really nice song, nice and upbeat put a smile on my face. Particularly like the backing vocals. Very good production loved the string element's  and the 60s vibe was just lovely beatles esk! Nice one @Neil C

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2020, 11:08:20 AM »
Hi Neil,

Very cool intro.

Nailed your goal for an upbeat tune.
So much in there 60s, 70s, early 80s. Gels very well.
The Sunshine Smile hook and vocal treatment spot on. Getting ELO.

Brightened my day.

Digger

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2020, 05:04:44 PM »
Previous posters have really said it all. Pretty melody, great background vocals, lovely accompaniment. It was relaxing (which I need, so thank you) and made me want to write something similar. I love it. Especially the "sunshine smile" part. Uplifting is good. We need more of it.

Edit: I forgot to say how impressed I am by how well you made the rhythm of the words and the rhythm of the melody complement each other.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2020, 05:35:07 PM »
Lovely 60s feel to this, Neil.

I can just imagine all those smiles...behind the masks...at least I'm going to assume they're all smiling...after all...it's a wonderful day!

It's a wonderful song.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2020, 09:36:24 AM »
Hey Neil, well the cover art made me smile for a start - and those melodic strings almost made me cry!

Lovely layered production, everything sits so well together, and when each new backing instrument comes in it all seems to fit like a glove. My 0.5% niggle though is just that final note. Don’t know if SC has chopped it, but I think it needs to sustain a little.

Well we all need a song like this right now, such a lovely, innocent tune, very catchy too -with a bit of luck it could win a wider audience.
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Kafla

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2020, 02:03:00 PM »
This is so good @Neil C

Holy sh!t its good lol

The instrumentation and arrangement are off the radar... the whole thing really is so beautiful...the melody floats on top effortlessly

There are so many parts in the song its hard to take it all in...

This for me is the best thing you have ever done...not to say you don't always produce the good but this is first class mate!

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2020, 11:24:36 AM »
@Jamie, glad you enjoyed it and your feedback on the vocals and bv's

@5 guys named Lars, thanks for your positove comments and the organ intro was a Mellotron, as in Strawberry Fields Forever

@pompeyjazz, cheers John the intro was a Mellotron, https://www.uvi.net/en/vintage-synth/mello.html

@MonnoDB, 'warm cheery track' thanks for that and the comment on my vocals too

@moraamarolaloba, Mora moving in your chair is absolutely to be encouraged :-)

@LostBoy, Straight into top 2 :-) maybe it could be faster, I have to say I don't think about those things too much, probably wanted the melody and words to settle into the track. But thanks for the great feedback, I'll let Ben know :-)

@Grubstar, 'great classic song structure and I really like the Sunshne Smile chorus' thats very cool feedback, thanks.

@Sebandme, thanks for comment especially on the bv's. Given the Beatles and ELO references I spent a lot of time on them, and as discussed on a recent Friday night chat used some help from melodyne 

@digger72, delighted you liked the intro and the brightened your day comments. I cant ask for more...

@CaliaMoko, thanks Vicki, Uplifting is great. I often get inspiration from the forum to make me write too

@PaulAds, smiling, indeed. We're only here once, although I can be miserable its not my default state...

@MichaelA, great feedback on strings and production, and last note I had to have a listen again. it is a bit short, I deliberately didn't put any room or reverb on the mellotron..

@kafla, Andy, fabulous feedback, thanks a lot :-)
songwriter of no repute..