The TV Theme Challenge - It's Still Here!

• 30 Replies

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« on: October 28, 2020, 10:53:04 AM »
This thread is designed to launch the next songwriting challenge, one which has been knocked about on here as an idea for a couple of weeks. It is...

‘The TV Theme Challenge’

Most of us will have seen the entertaining thread http://www.songwriterforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=17899.0- started by Rich @cowparsleyman - where forum members shared their favourite TV theme tunes, many of them now golden oldies. I’m sure it inspired a few here to try YouTubing old episodes of the likes of ‘Stingray’, ‘Mission Impossible’, ‘X-Files’, ‘The Sweeney’ ...well the list just goes on. The thread certainly struck a nostalgic nerve and showed our fond memories of TV Shows from the past, much as we are all nostalgic about music from certain former eras.

So building on that little bubble of enthusiasm that temporarily lit up the forum, (amazing, yes it did!) the challenge is this:

‘Imagine that a favourite TV Show of yours from the past is being remade. You are commissioned to write and record the theme tune for it.

You can
a) write a completely original new track or
b) rework an existing theme tune however you want’

The deadline is end of Wednesday 9th December. This gives you six weeks to complete, but you are welcome to put out your song any time before then in the Finished Songs section.

Collaborations are welcome. You can comment here if you are looking for a buddy for this one.

To placate those of us who like the fun of a competition, there will be a vote for the best song. But to also encourage everyone to join in you can opt-out your song from the vote if competitions is not your thing. The main thing is to encourage songwriting and music creation, and to give a few of us who enter something in common to have a chat about.

Tell us here if you are in - and I will start a list of participants. Cheers and good luck with your creations.

EDIT: sorry I forgot some people had already said they’d do this when@pompeyjazz was testing the water on this. So..

LIST OF PARTICIPANTS SO FAR

@pompeyjazz

@PaulAds

@kafla

@MichaelA

@adamfarr

@PeteS (‘probably’)

@CaliaMoko collab with @PaulAds

Room for lots more, roll up, roll up!

« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 01:11:25 PM by MichaelA »
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2020, 10:58:56 AM »
I am in 😀
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 12:10:58 PM »
Good stuff - I might be able to do a colab as well as my individual effort if anyone needs or wants!

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 08:47:09 PM »
Services for putting wordings to tunings to the highest bidder... translation, in English, I may be open to providing lyrics for a collab.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2020, 04:38:36 PM »
I will attempt this challenge as a collaboration with @PaulAds for a theme song intended for a TV show that doesn't exist. And if anyone knows a likely place for me to pitch it.... ;) ;D
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 05:50:48 PM by CaliaMoko »

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2020, 05:48:32 PM »
Great @CaliaMoko , I will add you to the list in the first post. Any others joining yet?  8)

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2020, 05:52:42 PM »
Fabulous idea for a challenge - More or less finished  :) :) :)

I am consulting the rule book. You might be disqualified for speeding @pompeyjazz! ;)

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2020, 06:16:17 PM »
I was going to sit this one out as I am working on a lot of things at the moment, however, given what is about to be announced today, what the hell else am I going to do with my time!  I'll still make it a tentative yes though as the other stuff has to take priority!
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA
Instagram @echodogsofficial

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2020, 08:22:49 PM »
Just chatting with a couple of the entrants and it seems folk would like a bit more time for this.

So you now have over Christmas to finish up, or even decide to freshly join. The new deadline is December 31st.

But if you are in a Tier 3 COVID UK restriction zone you must stay socially distanced from your instruments, at least two metres. Sanitise your DAW before and after each use. No singing indoors. Collaborations will only be allowed if you have formed an approved ‘social bubble’ with your collaborator. Apart from that, please feel free to join.  ;)

If you’ve completed your song/theme tune already, please feel free to post and maybe we will get the party started! Stick ‘em in Finished Songs as usual.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2020, 09:41:46 PM »
Vicki @CaliaMoko and I might have cooked something up...
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2020, 10:46:50 PM »
Vicki @CaliaMoko and I might have cooked something up...

Yes, I believe we do, and I think it's not far from being done....

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2020, 11:40:24 AM »
OK - Here we go then..... I'll kick off with the first submission for the TV theme challenge. I has absolutely no idea what I was going to do for this one so it started off with juts some doodling with some synths. I got a kind of picture in my head that it would suit a fictional 80's TV series set in Florida where our two cop heroes battled to keep the streets clean from the grips of the South American drugs cartel. There's loads of fast cars, powder blue suits with big shoulders and white powder floating around.

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2020, 11:52:48 AM »
I am loving this one Pomps!

That 80s vibe down to perfection; 80s syths and arps everywhere. Those 80s synth horns have a real classic 80s drama 'Long Good Friday' vibe about them. Loving the obligatory final car chase exit too.

There's so much going on in here and sometimes that won't work together but you've amanged to weave your magic and get it all to click. It's like a time travelling theme tune; 80s synth, 70s rock ballad guitar solo, more modern sounding Dubstep style drums and I think there was even some 90s dance track whistle blows thrown in around the 2:40 mark.

I really like the background perc on this that you can hear most clearly in the intro. Is that a loop or did you midi rogramme yourself?