konalavadome

The Stolen Riff Challenge

• 9 Replies

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« on: January 30, 2021, 04:53:13 PM »
This idea for a songwriter challenge seemed to get a bit of interest on last night's Friday Zoom call.

I recently heard an interview where a member of New Order confessed that they stole the famous riff for their best known song 'Blue Monday' after watching spaghetti westerns in between recording sessions. In particular the riff they lifted was from 'For a Few Dollars More', starring Clint Eastwood, a theme tune written by soundtrack composer Ennio Morricone.

Listening to the similarities, it seems incredible that they got away with this at the time...or since! Especially as it is such an emblematic riff that's won them many accolades and much commercial success. Have a listen...

This led to the idea for a forum Songwriting Challenge, if anyone is interested. Let us know here if you're in.

For this one you have to select a riff from any well known song that takes your fancy. The song can be from any era, any genre. Then you have to utilise the riff in a completely different song of your own, so that the casual listener wouldn't necessarily realise that the riff is stolen. You have to 'get away with it', just like New Order did for all these years. So you can flip the riff into a different genre maybe, or change the tempo, choice of instruments, whatever you want. Just as long as it's sneaky enough for you to get away with the cunning disguise.

Deadline is mid March, so about a six week challenge. Post your songs in Finished Songs if you are hoping for a reasonable number of comments. Plus post a link to the riff you stole by the original artist, so we can all have a smile.

So...who is in?  ;)

Well...list of entrants so far:

@pompeyjazz

@ChrisPrice

@Wicked Deeds

@MichaelA

@PeteS

« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 01:14:48 PM by MichaelA »
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 06:20:49 PM »
Yeah, Count me in. It didn't stop Led Zeppelin all those years back who blatantly stole riffs for at least two of their songs that I can think of. Whole Lotta Love was a Small Faces song called You Need Love - they even stole part of the vocal! And I believe there was a Willie Dixon song the title of which escapes me. I'm not a huge Zeppelin fan so I'd have no qualms about stealing one of their riffs!! :)

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2021, 06:39:26 PM »
Great to see two early participants in @pompeyjazz and @ChrisPrice. I didn’t know that about Led Zep, Chris, sounds like the music biz was maybe a bit less litigious back then.

Yeah John, it could have been called the Riff Off Challenge, but I have engraved the trophy now.  ::)

I suppose it could be AKA Riff Off Challenge. Especially for the residents of the Independent People’s Republic of Portsmouth.  ;D

Anyway, roll up, roll up folks, don’t be shy! Join our Stolen Riff/Aka Riff Off Challenge!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2021, 07:02:47 PM »
@MichaelA  Yup..there were others from that genre/period too. Procol Harum - A Whiter Shade of Pale - brilliant but it was JS Bach all over. Deep Purple was another band that got away with murder more than once. Rod Stewart, when he was part of The Faces, used to perform a song called Three Button Hand Me Down..a great song but it was lifted from a Soul Brothers Six track called Some Kind Of Wonderful. I'm sure it's happened a good deal more than we know over the decades across all genres. I've alerted my lawyer!! ;D

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2021, 07:18:39 PM »
And here's something The Specials Ripped off from Boney M who ripped off Prince Buster

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2021, 07:47:31 PM »
@MichaelA,

You have derailed my chances of finishing my new album.  I need only one moe totally original song for my joyous  album "Let your umbrella down."

Count me in you master derailed of plans :-)

Paul

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2021, 08:15:35 PM »
Oh no @ChrisPrice, is nothing sacred. ‘Whiter Shade of Pale’ is one of my fave songs ever where the vocal is set against an instrumental counter melody. And now I know it was ripped off :(

Doesn’t surprise me about The Specials @pompeyjazz. Coventry has its share of dodgy exports, does it not? Actually...maybe this is our route to fame and fortune, ripping great songs off  :)

So @Wicked Deeds , this need not be excluded from your album. As we have already discovered, several rip-off merchants have made a fortune shamelessly plagiarising and recycling great compositions from the past. This time next year Rodney, you and Marie might be on that tropical island you have just bought from the royalties of your entry into this fab challenge! 😀

I’ll keep a running list of participants in the OP, by the way.

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2021, 11:58:04 PM »
Brilliant!  Not sure I'll get this done but I'll try as it sounds great fun.
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA
Instagram @echodogsofficial

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2021, 01:14:01 PM »
Great stuff @PeteS. I will add you to the list in the OP.  ;)