konalavadome

Getting WAV to sync

• 2 Replies

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« on: October 28, 2020, 09:01:56 AM »
Hi all,
             again probably a fairly basic question that has an easy answer/solution.

So, I'm having a bit of bother getting WAV file from one project to sync properly when opened in a different track in Audacity. Sometimes when working on a project I hit on an idea that isn't quite right for that piece but that I think will work perfectly in something else so I save it as a WAV file. However, once opened in Audacity in the other project it is out of sync - and that's even if the BPM is set the same in both projects and the 'use project tempo' feature is enabled after opening the file. I find this tends to happen most with spacey pads - a lot of the time I'll hit on a pad sound/loop I like but not for what I'm working on but can see where it fits in with something else. Whenever I save to WAV, though, and open in the relevant project the chord changes are all out of sync - happening off the mark from where they were in the original clip.

Any thoughts or solutions greatly appreciated as always.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2020, 10:21:39 AM »
@Sing4me88

This could be a few different things and unfortunately I am not familiar with Audacity enough to give any definitive solutions - but hopefully these options should you identify potential solutions

1 - make sure the rendered WAV actually starts at the beginning of the exported clip. This sounds obvious but it is easy to record from bar 2 (to give yourself a “count in”) and then export from bar 1, which can throw everything out

2 - some DAWs export WAV files with a “time stamp” so when you export and then import the WAV file places itself somewhere you may not expect. Search for terms around “broadcast WAV file” or “time stamp”

3 - make sure the bit depth and sample rate of the projects match

4 - try the export and import with a different file type (aiff or MP3) - this may help you troubleshoot and see if there is something squiffy with the WAV file
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 05:19:04 PM »
I have also had problems with things lining up in Audacity. I discovered that Audacity sometimes moves tracks to the left. It actually happens pretty often to me (or did--I now use Reaper most of the time instead). I can tell when the tracks have been moved left, because there are arrows pointing left at the beginning of the track. I have to slide the track to the right until the arrows disappear.

I don't know if this is what is happening to you, but if it is, maybe this will help.

Vicki