No Other Life (binladeda challenge)

• 14 Replies

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« on: October 25, 2020, 05:57:17 PM »
Well here it is - diced and sliced into a 3 minute country rock song.
I hope you like it - and of course any feedback is appreciated.
Looking forward to hearing the other songs now :D

https://soundcloud.com/paulcanuck/no-other-life

No Other Life

It must be ten years ago
You left this town in the dust
All those calls to your phone
But you would never pick up
She thought your love was sincere
She'd even picked out her dress
She cried a river of tears
When she found out you had left

Now you keep sayin' that you're lonesome
And you'd like to find a wife
But you've been too long on the road, son
You don't know no other life

You came back callin' her up
She was all distant and cold
It's no surprise she was reluctant
To open wounds that were so old
You set your sights on another
But the word's got around
You warm a bed with a lover
Then you run for higher ground

Now you keep sayin' that you're lonesome
And it's time to find a wife
But you've been too long on the road, son

Yeah you've been too long on the road, son

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2020, 06:12:05 PM »
Aww ! This is cheating as you have a real country voice @Paulski  :)Another great interpretation of the Bin backing track. Love the way that you have changed the structure as well and really dig the backing vocals. Another fabulous interpretation. I'll knock up a playlist in the next couple of days  :)

Beebeesmith

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2020, 06:24:20 PM »
Really good melodic song great story line although thought the lyric flow hung up in a few places, I know it’s not easy to get everything to fit just so and keep the story narrative. The backing pedal steel (assuming it is) reminded me of Matthew Southern Comfort, nice sound then, nice sound now.
Very pleasant listen with the length for me at least, spot on.

Not familiar with the binladeda challenge so may have waited in over my boots. 😬
BB

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2020, 06:54:32 PM »
Another cracking version. It's amazing how many different takes on a tune you can squeeze out of it (by the way, does anybody else keep trying to sing their own words to everybody else's version?!! :D )

@Beebeesmith

The challenge was to use an instrumental track that Binladeda had written (you could take the track as is, or fiddle around with the stems to personalise it somewhat) and come up with your own version. We've been releasing them twice a week for a month so far.

If you want to hear the others (so far) they're:

http://www.songwriterforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=17945.0
Eliza Lane
(PaulAds)

http://www.songwriterforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=17929.0
The Deep End
(Wicked Deeds)

http://www.songwriterforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=17920.0
God Bites Back
(5 guys named Lars)

http://www.songwriterforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=17903.0
Late To The Party
(adamfarr)

http://www.songwriterforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=17910.0
How Dare You
(kafla)

http://www.songwriterforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=17892.0
Wrong End Of Tomorrow
(Sterix)

http://www.songwriterforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=17878.0
Deepest Blue
(pompeyjazz)

Hope I haven't missed out anyone!

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 01:42:34 PM »
@Paulski @Binladeda 

Hi Paul, as @pompeyjazz  said, it's cheating you doing a country song. You have the voice, the accent and everything.......cheating ;) 8). Great song guys love the guitars especially the slide. The organ is unexpected but works beautifully too!

Not my genre but a great rendition of it's type.

Cheers

Jamie

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2020, 09:47:00 AM »
Very authentic Country Rock song there Paul, with pangs of melancholy in the lyrics that get you rooting for the narrator. Beautifully sung, and when those restrained harmonies came in, due partly to your accent, I thought it was a little reminiscent of The Eagles.

A memorable chorus too, repeated just enough for the genre. All seemed effortless and this genre really suited you. A small detail, but I really enjoyed that supplementary organ at the end. I don’t know if that was in your pack of stems, or added by you. Whoever did it, it was a little subtle gem of a bonus.

Another smashing contribution Paul. And what a quality backing track from @Binladeda that has set the backdrop for all these fine top lines. I’ve really enjoyed listening to all these different interpretations from our talented writers on here. 😀
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2020, 10:07:48 AM »
I thought this was really top class. The chorus is a smash...and I loved the way you managed to slice the intro part to create something new with it. Vocal is perfect for the lyric, which is excellent. Harmonies are lovely. As I watched the waveform scroll towards the end of the track on soundcloud...I was really hoping for you to squeeze another chorus in...and, just like Paulski...you totally came up with the goods.

One of the best, for sure.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2020, 06:47:32 PM »
Hi Paul,

If this isn't a musical marriage made in heaven then I don't know what is.
Perfect vocal for Bin's track.
Lyrics are spot on.

Great guitar work, Bin.

Really authentic track.

Digger

5 guys named Lars

• Solo Gig
    • 5 Guys Named Lars- Soundcloud
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2020, 05:50:14 AM »
Superb vocals @paulski ..how many different voices have you got? Perfect for this genre.
Nice lyrics.. loved the rhyme "lonesome" with "road son" and I think the edit you did on the intros really worked well. Very nice. :)

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2020, 05:58:01 AM »
This is a really good country song.  I loved the instrumental fill-ins.  Adored the lyric, and the cohesiveness was perfect.  This is something I would expect to hear on a Tracy Lawrence album.  BTW... I loved your vocal.  This is ;one of your best.
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2020, 10:48:00 AM »
Great editing of the riff to give it more impact and very nice guitar sound and organ.

It's a great story song that really matches the melancholy of the backing. If I didn't know this was written to a backing then I wouldn't know!

All these songs sounding so different and not a dud among them. 

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2020, 08:03:40 PM »
Well this is a perfect match - country meets country.. Fab... You have a great country voice @Paulski and great lyrics - works really well with that great backing..

Lovely work!

K

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2020, 03:16:06 AM »
Cheers everyone for the warm reception. I'm a little embarrassed to admit I just took the mixed-down track and copied/pasted it to my needs rather than work on all the stems. I'm so lazy! And the other entries sound like they've had a lot more care put into them  :D. Oh well it was still fun to do.

@pompeyjazz Thanks John - glad you liked the hick accent - I wish I was faking it but that's what we've done to the Queen's english here in the colonies  ;D

@Beebeesmith cheers for that - yep agree the lyrics could flow a bit better. Probably rushed this one a bit. Thanks for listening.

@Sterix Thanks - and thanks for the list - very handy :D

@Jamie cheers Jamie - happy you noticed the organ - I thought it needed a sustaining instrument as there was already lots of percussion going on :D Always great to get a thumbs up from someone not into the genre :D

@MichaelA thanks Michael - especially for the Eagles reference - I wish! Agree bin's backing track is great - I found it pretty easy to come up with a melody - it's practically already there in the guitar riffs.

@PaulAds Paul! Thanks! Glad you liked the lyric - it's not very deep IMO - but country rock doesn't often wade in too far so I hoped to get away with it. :D

@digger72 cheers for the nice comments. Now I know this isn't your genre so it means a lot. I totally agree about bin's guitar work - just two words for his talent : awe and some :D

@5 guys named Lars very kind of you to say that about my vocal. Never seems exactly right to me but I'm glad to hear they worked for you.  ;D

@hardtwistmusic cheers Verlon - now I know you know country - so that is great to hear.  Bin gets all the credit for the fine ornamental guitar licks. He's a star.  8)

@adamfarr Thanks Adam - melancholy is what I heard so that's how I approached it. Really fun to hear the other tracks that took it in different directions - like your fine work! :D

@MonnoDB Thanks Karen. Glad you felt it matched the track bin sent over and the comment on my vocal made my day.

Thanks all for taking the time to listen and comment!
Paul

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2020, 09:58:37 AM »
Paul,
You really nailed the country americana vibe on this.
The story and vocals are strong, and I really like the harmonies.
Really cool with backing, especially slide. Not heard the others but this is top notch.
:-) neil
songwriter of no repute..

Kafla

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2020, 08:52:50 AM »
You were definitely cheating @Paulski because you brought your country voice to the challenge...some of us are just born lucky because your voice sit on top of this arrangement like a cowboy on a bucking bronco...and like the bronco we all need to concede because you’ve won this one at a cantor...

Love this ❤️❤️❤️❤️