Eliza Lane (for the Binladeda Challenge)

• 16 Replies

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« on: October 22, 2020, 12:37:27 PM »
A tragedy. As one of the forum’s most miserable bastards, that isn’t going to surprise anyone.

This is the song I wrote in order to participate in @kafla s brilliant Binladeda Challenge...where several of us took one of Steve's super instrumentals and made of it what we would. I'm not writing much at all lately...so it was lovely to be able to take part in this...and big thanks to Steve @Binladeda . I'll get back into shortly, more than likely.

Eliza Lane

On this God-forsaken frontier
Winter’s cold and time’s are hard
I ain’t asking for permission
In my own back yard
I was hanging up my six gun
Washing away the Mark of Cain
I was building me a place to hang my hat
With Eliza Lane

If your eyes had ever seen her
You wouldn't need me to explain
How a man could gamble everything he's got
For Eliza Lane

Then they’re flashing me their badges
To see how much a man could take
With their rules and regulations
Gonna make a big mistake
She possessed a grace and beauty
That could take away the pain
I found everything a man could ever want
In Eliza Lane

Now they bring their Iron Horse
I watch it glide across the plain
And I saw it turn its unforgiving gaze
To my Eliza Lane

It was always heading for a showdown
To make the tragedy complete
My Eliza is not a stranger
To men falling at her feet
And they brought along a circus
I felt obliged to entertain
But they scattered when they heard the shots ring out
Down Eliza Lane

Even though she drove me crazy
There ain’t no prettier ball and chain
Than the girl I loved and had to leave behind
In Eliza Lane

Music, guitars and bass: Steve Wild

I was reading a book about this incident when the challenge was suggested on the forum. It happened a few miles up the road from me in 1991,  The story seemed to lend itself so well to the old country/western theme. The road where it took place was called “Eliza Lane” and, knowing that, the lyric just about wrote itself…so don’t blame me.

I won’t ramble on about the story. I hope the video explains. If there’s any merit in the lyrics, it’s because of what they're trying to say that isn’t in the video and wasn’t in the book.

The original news report is here…

I made a video for the song with low-quality clips from the local news that I grabbed from YouTube…I was a bit conscious of the song’s length…and the fact that I had too many lyrics for such a slow number, so I had to make every chorus a continuation of the story rather than repeating myself and then also trimmed down the original version to the one that’s currently on soundcloud. The video is the original full 5 minute + version.

https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/581275836

I’ve always loved doing the forum challenges whenever I can.

It’s been brilliant listening to how everyone has interpreted Steve’s lovely, evocative backing track.

I had written a load of comedy “production” notes…but I was worried that some people might think I was taking the piss…because I just don’t get/can’t be arsed with all of that knob-twiddling fader-fiddling stuff…I’m not trying to make a virtue out of my caveman approach to production…I just honestly can’t hear that it makes enough of a difference for me to get over not being very interested in that side of things. I just try to get everything to sound ok. That's all.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 07:27:19 PM by PaulAds »
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2020, 02:26:16 PM »
Hi Paul, yet another funeral that you crashed, no doubt. Bloody ‘ell, it’s rough up there in the North East innit, but a good Backdrop it provided for your Country interpretation. Amazing story you dug up, and I can’t imagine them showing someone being shot on telly these days. Well we don’t do that in Granada Region anyway!  :D But it’s a riveting tale and you narrate it convincingly well - and once I realised it wasn’t just about a girl I was totally hooked. (I mean, who would write a song about an obsession with a girl after all?  ;) Not you anyway.)

The video is a must-see too, and obviously explains some of the imagery I didn’t get on first hearing without knowing the back story - eg the iron horse, and what Eliza really was. Very poetic and masterful lyric writing.

I love the bitterness you put across in the vocal, a performance which almost brings a bit of Clash bile into gentle Country. I like how you’ve made the backing track sound a bit raw and punchy, a contrast to some other contributions, good that they are.

It’s a right proper epic this one and shows you on top form. A fantastic, immersive song! I do hope you get back to writing soon in your usual manner as it’s a talent we’re missing out on - give us more of our forum’s miserable bastard says me!  ;)
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 02:37:23 PM »
I said that I would pop in to review the remaining challenge entries. I've already enjoyed  a sneak preview of this song and immediatrly admired it.

Paul, your lyrics are both inentive and unique. Your  story telling is excellent and rarely do I see a set of lyrics that read so well. I remember you saying I'm having that“ re the title. It was a game winning move as it fits the brief so well. Love the way everything drops away and also the introduction of the lead guitar. Top quality writing!

Well done!

Kafla

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2020, 06:07:01 PM »
I watched the video @PaulAds

Man I don’t know if this is just the way I’m feeling these days or more likely your excellently written song and delivery but this really made me emotional...

There are little flourishes such as your guitar , heavier drums , piano ( thats so good btw )  and a little pad / maybe slide in the background that all add to the terrific atmosphere...

It’s an unbelievable back story... and you’ve nailed the commentary in your vocals
( my Gran would say you’ve got a voice from your toes btw)

I’ve a real interest in crime fiction and the seemingly mundane events or series of events that can lead to the most unlikely events...my mates a big crime writer so
I’ll send this onto him 👍

I’m blow away with the construction and implementation of this idea...

Jesus man you’ve done well...especially to claim the second best song in this challenge 😉

I tip my hat to you 😍

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2020, 11:20:05 PM »
It’s so funny listening to all these songs built around the same backing track.. This is rather awesome.. As always - great vocals.. and fantastic story, beautifully told… such a great theme (I admire that immensely!!)

Mixing etc not my bag (apart from necessity when I’m mixing my own) — actually though here’s the mad thing @PaulAds  as someone who goes only into enough detail to serve the song (that’s what I’m reading from your description of your mixing, I may well by misunderstanding).. makes me even more intrigued to hear your process.. Sorry - please ignore me as you, I’m sure, want to right now!

Back to the song.. just wonderfully - impactful and catchy in the way that your vocal demands, regardless of melody.. and when you have the melody to go with it, well then, it’s must magic!

Fab guitar break (I’m not sure if that’s you or Bin)

LOVE IT!

Karen

5 guys named Lars

• Solo Gig
    • 5 Guys Named Lars- Soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2020, 07:16:35 AM »
Well it might be the Wild West but its certainly grim up North ! Heard this song before I knew the story & thought it was evocative but seeing the video takes it to a higher level. Innocuous lines such as "building me a place to hang my hat" take on extra significance & give it an emotional depth.
I agree with Karen that it would be interesting to hear your basic process of recording. I always look forward to your songs @PaulAds & this is another beauty.
If there was a "bow down" emoji on the forum I`d use it now.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2020, 09:06:02 AM »
What can I say about this song ? It's been absolutely fascinating being involved in this particular songwriting challenge and to listen to all of the different interpretations of Bins backing track. It has also been fascinating to know the background stories behind the songs and to see them develop. I remember you talking about this story a few weeks ago in the bar @PaulAds It's an incredible story. Watching the video footage from "Look North" it all seems so surreal. The reporter who has been shot in the arm calmly continues his report before seeking medical attention. This is songwriting from the very top drawer in my opinion. You are a very fine wordsmith Paul and the story is so very well told. Your vocals compliment this type of song so very well. The arrangement and the thought that you have put into it is exceptional. I love the subtle backing vocals and the guitar solo is fab also. Let's have some more of this stuff you miserable bastard  :)     

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2020, 07:38:16 PM »
Maybe it is now when we realize that reality and fiction are the same, the difference is that we pay to see fiction and we flee from reality hahaha
The song sounds great, I love the low end of the bass, and the unobtrusive high end of the guitar. As for the voice ... I like the tone, the way of telling the story.
Very good guitar solo.

great work @PaulAds
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2020, 11:39:33 AM »
Um... now where have I heard this before? :P

Fascinating, the background video. Love how the reporter just carries on reporting after beng shot. "i'm now hopefully going to get some medical treatment". Such a  stiff-upper-lip understatement! LMAO!

Great entry, @PaulAds

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2020, 04:02:42 PM »
This Song's Production Notes - A Moron's Guide, if you like.

For Karen @MonnoDB and Chris @5 guys named Lars :)

Recorded and mixed on Garageband for Mac. All tracks remain panned centre and all sounds and effects are Stock Garageband Plugins/Instruments unless stated…in an extravagant production consisting of 12 tracks in total. Like much of County Durham, Garageband has no bus service. Or side-chain facility.

Track 1 Garageband Drummer - Preset Kit = “Bluebird”  Space Designer preset “2.0s On-stage Drums” the original patterns were slightly edited on a new midi track

Track 2 Steve’s original Bass track - “Clean Bass - Modern Stack” Preset

Track 3 Steinway Grand Piano Preset midi track with reverb Panned 40% left

Track 4 Steinway Grand Piano Preset midi harmony track with reverb Panned 40% left

Note: I can't play piano. I just tap out the notes on my Mac keyboard and move them to where they should be.

Track 5 String Ensemble Preset midi track with reverb and “stereo spread” plugin

Note: I can't play violin, cello or viola either...but that's probably obvious. So I tapped that out too.

Track 6 Steve’s Original Guitar Track with reverb Panned 25% right

Track 7 Steve’s Original Guitar Track with reverb and “platinum acoustic guitar 01” compression preset Panned 20% left

Track 8 Lead Vocal - Limiter - Low end cut EQ - Compressor - Very light Chorus - Echo - Reverb

Track 9 Harmony Vocal - Same as above

Track 10 Unison Vocal where harmony vocal line isn’t sung - as above plus “stereo spread” plugin

Note: I did sing some bits a little quieter when I thought it was necessary.

Track 11 Steve’s Original Slide Guitar Track with echo and reverb Panned 25% right

Track 12 Steve’s Original Lead Guitar Track with reverb

Note: I can't play guitar as well as Steve.

Automation was used just to pull the levels of the guitar and bass back for the breakdown...and then fade them back up to where they were again...and also to reduce the level of lead guitar over the last "chorus" before it ramps up again for the second lead break.

The Master Track has a slightly tweaked Mastering Preset imaginatively and somewhat optimistically called “Top 40” that I used, with a little less top end and a wee boost in the mid/low end - Signal Path = Platinum Analog Tape Compressor Preset - Final Mix Ballad EQ preset - Sizzle Exciter Preset - Multipressor Final Pop Preset - Limiter Preset with Gain +0.5 Output -0.5.

Note: I don't really know much about production...I invariably use presets and tweak them only if I have to.

Once I’ve edited the Mixdown…I whack Thomas Mundt’s excellent and free “Loudmax” Mastering Limiter on there to make it louder. I think I did this a little more than usual to roughen it up a tiny bit.

I have half a dozen Waves Plugins and the Izotope "Elements" Suite...but I don't use them anymore.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

5 guys named Lars

• Solo Gig
    • 5 Guys Named Lars- Soundcloud
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2020, 11:17:17 PM »
Track 1 Garageband Drummer - Preset Kit = “Bluebird”  Space Designer preset “2.0s On-stage Drums” the original patterns were slightly edited on a new midi track

Track 4 Steinway Grand Piano Preset midi harmony track with reverb Panned 40% left

Note: I can't play piano. I just tap out the notes on my Mac keyboard and move them to where they should be.

Track 5 String Ensemble Preset midi track with reverb and “stereo spread” plugin

Note: I can't play violin, cello or viola either...but that's probably obvious. So I tapped that out too.

Track 7 Steve’s Original Guitar Track with reverb and “platinum acoustic guitar 01” compression preset Panned 20% left

Track 8 Lead Vocal - Limiter - Low end cut EQ - Compressor - Very light Chorus - Echo - Reverb

Track 10 Unison Vocal where harmony vocal line isn’t sung - as above plus “stereo spread” plugin

Track 11 Steve’s Original Slide Guitar Track with echo and reverb Panned 25% right

Automation was used just to pull the levels of the guitar and bass back for the breakdown...and then fade them back up to where they were again...and also to reduce the level of lead guitar over the last "chorus" before it ramps up again for the second lead break.

The Master Track has a slightly tweaked Mastering Preset imaginatively and somewhat optimistically called “Top 40” that I used, with a little less top end and a wee boost in the mid/low end - Signal Path = Platinum Analog Tape Compressor Preset - Final Mix Ballad EQ preset - Sizzle Exciter Preset - Multipressor Final Pop Preset - Limiter Preset with Gain +0.5 Output -0.5.

Note: I don't really know much about production...I invariably use presets and tweak them only if I have to.

Once I’ve edited the Mixdown…I whack Thomas Mundt’s excellent and free “Loudmax” Mastering Limiter on there to make it louder. I think I did this a little more than usual to roughen it up a tiny bit

Cheers @PaulAds. Very interesting. You say you don`t know much about production but you know a damn sight more than I do (lots of long words there I must investigate). Thanks for the heads up on the free Loudmix Mastering Limiter. I`ll give it a go. :)

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2020, 11:19:01 PM »

Once I’ve edited the Mixdown…I whack Thomas Mundt’s excellent and free “Loudmax” Mastering Limiter on there to make it louder. I think I did this a little more than usual to roughen it up a tiny bit

Cheers @PaulAds. Very interesting. You say you don`t know much about production but you know a damn sight more than I do (lots of long words there I must investigate). Thanks for the heads up on the free Loudmix Mastering Limiter. I`ll give it a go. :)

+ 1!!!
Thanks for indulging me and the Lars fella.. (s) .... Very interesting..

K

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2020, 01:40:15 PM »
I haven’t really spent a lot of time on this challenge as I didn’t have time to do it myself but this one grabbed my attention. What a story! If I hadn’t watched it I’d have thought it was fiction.  Your lyrics tell the story brilliantly and the vocal delivery adds the emotion.  Brilliant Paul.  And I think we all know you know your way around a GarageBand production.   
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA
Instagram @echodogsofficial

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2020, 02:08:18 PM »
@Paulads @Binladeda

Hi Guys, great stuff, for me the thing that sets this song apart is the emotion you impart to the excellent lyric with your voice and phrasing. Everything else is great but that emotion is 'the icing on the cake'.

Brilliant guys....

Cheers

Jamie

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2020, 10:07:45 PM »
Well as they say south of the 49th "that's a whole 'nother song dude!"
Great interpretation and a lot of work went into this. I really liked the lead guitar and of course the hard-times vocals are super effective ;D
Nice how you ginned up the drums throughout, and dropped everything quiet in that last verse.
This is the best I've heard so far. Well TBH this is the first I've heard so far too  :D

Great work @PaulAds and @Binladeda !

Paul