Learning Piano

• 6 Replies

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« on: October 20, 2020, 10:36:48 PM »
So, I've posted my latest song and it involves me trying to play piano.  For many years I have  played a bit of melody on. keyboard and I can play chords on a piano but since the demise of my last band I have had an interest in learning to play a lot more than that.

BUT! I'd really like to learn.  I have time and a piano in the house so that helps! ;D

Given that I know where the notes are, I know a fair few chords and I can read music (although it's a long time since I have done so in anger) where should I look for training?  i don't want to start as a complete beginner but also don't want to miss anything out.

I could go to a local teacher but that starts to rack up some cost.  I've looked at the Rockschool books and that's a possibility but I'd appreciate other ideas.

Thanks

Pete
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA
Instagram @echodogsofficial

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 08:21:24 AM »
@PeteS - Maybe you could go through the ABRSM grades, it's very gentle, my daughter did them. It's a well trodden path, although Rockschool is maybe an option if you know you are just going to play modern music. This is not the way to do it - I took my synth to work, and some of my daughters books, the synth fell over, broker a circuit board, I got to THAT stage where it was all fingers and thumbs going off in different directions, uuuurgh. I really persevered, but there really isn't a better way than being taught personally. (I came close to it a couple of years ago)

I wish you well in this.

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2020, 10:30:15 AM »
Thanks Rich, I definitely have no ambitions as a classical pianist so modern all the way.  I've looked at a few of the online courses and don't fancy any of them.  I can move through RockSchool at my own pace so that's probably it to start with. 
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2020, 02:42:19 PM »
I think people like @MonnoDB could give you some real advice...

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2020, 09:14:26 PM »
Hey @cowparsleyman and @PeteS .... Hmmm not sure I'm the right person to advise tbh as I came at piano a different route... I learned classical piano and harp as a kid up to diploma level (through all the grades) and tbh I hated both with a passion by the time I was finished... And didn't play for many many years.. 

I also found that by learning using sheet music (and it might not be like this for everyone), I was tied to said sheet music and I found it really hard to break from that.. I learnt to play whistle in a completely organic way and I've always had a more fluid approach to it (within its limitations of course)...

My route back to it was actually through my (rather awful) guitar playing... My other half actually went out and bought me a keyboard pointing out that I could probably do a better job on something I could actually play :) .... So I kind of took that approach - I started playing piano like I played the guitar - playing songs I loved using chords as accompaniment (that obviously I knew for all keys) to kind of break me free of my tie to written music... and then took it from there... So obviously I had the skills and touch from years before but suddenly the piano became a very versatile and enjoyable instrument for me...

SO..... I guess, you already have the skills on the guitar and it sounds like you're transferring that over... So perhaps fluidity is something to aim for - scales, arpeggios etc? just like you would practice the guitar? My older daughter learns guitar and drums - and she LOVES playing piano - she accompanies herself using mainly chords but I did teach her the basic fingering, scales etc.. to help her find her way around a keyboard as smoothly as possibly..

If you're going to get lessons, I would suggest getting a jazz player who can start you with basic blues and then advance to jazz-type stuff... Not necessarily because that's what you'll play, but I think the constructs and frameworks are so versatile, they'll be of great value.. You're right it can get expensive but if you lay out your needs and even say have a couple of starter lessons and then again every month or so - if you get the right teacher this can work really well...

I'm not familiar with Rockschool..

I'm fairly sure that's NO help to you at all - I didn't like to ignore the call for help :) I'm sure someone who's come at it from where you are now would be able to steer with more relevance. .

Good luck with it!

Karen

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2020, 10:29:13 PM »
Thanks Karen, that really is helpful. 

My wife plays piano in the way you describe.  Chained to the sheet music.  That’s never going to be me, I’m way too long in the tooth for that approach so I agree fluidity is what I need.  I really want to become more familiar with all the main chords, scales and arpeggios and using both hands so I guess my path is reasonably clear. 

Rock school is the grade system for modern music as opposed to classical.  One reason to follow it is that it would lead me through without missing anything even if in the early grades, I actually know a lot of it. It’s the practice of those things I need. 

Thanks for helping Karen and watch this space for more piano!

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2020, 10:52:25 PM »
Ah - I've just realised I am actually familiar with Rock School - my daughter does the RS grades on drums... Both girls use RGT for guitar / bass..  Sounds like a good plan actually - guides you through the skills and theory, I guess...

Interesting to hear that about your wife too.. Actually I was adamant my girls wouldn't learn classically cos of the teaching method (including the sheet music thing...) They're encouraged to improvise where they learn and to me that's what it's all about.. and they play in a band too.. I really think although I have a good grounding in theory and techniques, the constraints in the way I was taught classical music wasted so much of what I learnt..  I wonder is it still the same today...

*steps off soapbox...

I'll be watching this space indeed!

K