The Silence

• 24 Replies

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« on: October 20, 2020, 10:27:42 PM »
A new one from us and a bit of a departure, at least in terms of the fact that I am playing piano 8). To be fair, I'm not a pianist, in fact there will be a question on that (probably in the Bar later) but I can play a few chords and a bit of a melody.

Lyrically, it developed from an initial Chorus that Neil sent me.  I composed the tune and feel for the song.  We then discussed various ideas of how to develop the lyrics into the full song.  We knew what the silence meant to us but it took a few goes to get that down correctly.

I've had this musical idea (Piano that is) going round in my head for ages and just hadn't found the way to get it down, or at least play it.  I initially composed the chorus on guitar and then recorded the whole thing on guitar but I knew it was right to move to piano.  It's probably taken more effort to get this song to this state than any of my previous ones as it's not a straight guitar number.  And thanks to Boydie for helping me try to get a darker piano sound for the intro, I still think it could be deeper and darker but can't make it happen.

I hope you like it!

When it feels like the noise just makes you blind
The deafening brings absence to your mind
The serenity and stillness warms your cold
It’s the silence that calms your soul

When it feels like a struggle, just to survive
The days you just no longer feel alive
The constant sound of living waits to be shed
The sound of voices screaming in your head

Sometimes it’s the silence that we need
The place that makes us leave
The space that’s in between
The space - that lets us breathe

When it feels like there’s nowhere left to turn
To be somewhere else, the only thing you yearn 
When you close your eyes but just can’t close the door 
On those who need you, to make them feel secure 

Escape, the day
Turn to drink, to hide away
See things, in a different light
Try to make, them right
So dark, and grey
Feel the pull, to get away 
Blank out, the sound
Reaching up, you’re falling down

New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA
Instagram @echodogsofficial

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 08:42:19 AM »
Great to see you tinkering on the ivories @PeteS It's amazing what can be achieved through the magic of midi. I'm a very basic piano player myself and have to string things together a few notes at a time. I really should practice more as it's a wonderful string to your musical bow. I thought that this was really well put together. I can tell that a lot of thought and work has been put into it. The piano work is very effective. The guitars when they kick in give the song a huge lift and you have used great dynamics, giving the song some space. Vocals are very good as well. Another fab song from you guys. I think that this is one of my favourites of yours  :)

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2020, 08:44:48 AM »
@pompeyjazz Thanks John, much appreciated. 
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2020, 08:04:45 PM »
It is a very emotional ballad, I like this line "The space that’s in between
The space - that lets us breathe "
I would deescribe too like this the silence at some moments ...
The piano takes your voice to the nostalgia
and when the instrumental section appears it's opens the sound and gives the necessary change to the song.
Very nice @PeteS

Stay safe

Mora
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

Kafla

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2020, 12:10:31 PM »
Hi @PeteS

you sound like Dave Gilmour here...

Its got a lovely slow build...your phrasing catches me out sometimes - for example "that lets us breath" sounds rushed to me and "try to make them right" in the mid 8  ...I've noticed it in your other songs... it's not a big deal...in fact, it's really subjective so I don't know why I'm bringing it up lol

Anyway back to the writing... it's a lovely understated song and arrangement...I like a lot...I'm on my 3rd listen and it has got better each time to my ears...that's a sure sign the writing is strong!

Very well done mate!

Kafla

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2020, 12:12:58 PM »
Oh and I meant to say...backing vocals would lift this to world domination!

Beebeesmith

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2020, 12:59:18 PM »
Hi Pete§
the song keeps building and moving ebbing and gently flowing which held my interest
and thoroughly entertained. Liked your vocal and although I’m a melody man first I thought the lyrics were very good.
BB

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2020, 01:45:44 PM »
I thought the piano worked @PeteS and you certainly got a dark and moody sound from it. It definitely controlled the track and when you were singing with it and not much else I thought there was a small nod to Chris Martin and Coldplay. But this is a very good sort of classic songwriting song with thought immersing lyrics and foreboding tune. It’s  really good that you’ve got it in you to do a slower tempo impactful ballad besides your more rocky and faster stuff. It really suited you.

At five and a half minutes it is a bit on the long side. We kids have no attention span, don’t you know  :D If I was editing it I would probably start by cutting the Mid-break section by half and just make that a briefer interlude. Subjective of course!

But a really solid song this, one which you should be rightly proud of.
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2020, 11:30:57 PM »
I'm only hearing this now, after your piano thread...

I think you already play well btw - parking the piano stuff right now.... on to the song..

This is beautifully moody - so completely up my street, I just love the pared back atmosphere..

I gotta say @PeteS this is stand out the best thing I've heard from you.. I know that it's probably more aligned to my style so that's probably not a surprise but the arrangement is spot on and has real emotional impact.. And for me (usually but not always) is what will grab me time and time again.

Just fantastic..

K

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2020, 09:03:10 AM »
Thanks for the resonses guys!
@moraamarolaloba I'm glad you liked it, I was trying tio get some emotion in the vocal, not something I find easy.

@kafla Thanks Andy, I'll take a Gilmour comparison anyday  8)  The phrasing is interested.  You aren't the first person to mention that line.  I should say that I don't write the lyrics and they do come first but I do then re-write them where necessary to make themn fit what I have in mind as Neil has no idea of that when he writes the originals.  I'm alo not afraid to squeeze lyrics if necessary so long as the syllables allow it.   However, on that particular part, it was the first part of the tune I came up with as I liked the way 'us' fitted into the gap where the note rises and falls   .  I have played around with it since it was first mentioned (my wife!) but for me it needs the syllable to emphasise the tune.

On the backing vocals I do think i agree and I have been looking at it and haven't come up with anything I really liked, everything I did took away from the emotion so if anyone has ideas please let me have them.

@Beebeesmith Gladd you liked the melody BB.  Sometimes it's hard not to turn a ballad into a durge but I think I just got it right on this one.

@MichaelA Thanks Michael.  I wouldn't hold Coldplay as one of my favourites but in listening to reference tracks for how I wanted the piano to sound they certainly featured heavily!  I knew it was long but interestingly, the original demo on guitar had half the interlude and it felt wrong.  Then one night after a few beers I recorded it with a double length section and it felt right.  The sacrifice was the length but I figured that there aren't many kids on here anyway  ;D ;D  I am proud of it and I'm so glad you liked it!

@MonnoDB Thanks Karen, high praise from you on the piano.  To be fair, I did play both parts but had to do it seperately and I'd like to learn to do it at the same time!  There was also a 'bit' of tidying up afterwards!

I love your comment (and Michael's) because I do naturally lean towards the faster rocky guitar stuff but I also like a good ballad.  I feel that a ballad on a guitar is a tricky thing to pull off without, as I said before, becoming durgy (and I have a couple of those tucked away) that's why I have been wanting to develop the piano understanding and skills.

Kafla

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2020, 12:13:31 PM »
On the backing vocals I do think i agree and I have been looking at it and haven't come up with anything I really liked, everything I did took away from the emotion so if anyone has ideas please let me have them.

Couple of things I do for BVs that you can use or ignore...

Mute the main vocal and set up say 4 new audio tracks...just record yourself improvising other melody lines... for me there is always sections that I can’t come up with anything decent and other sections where lines come easy...I’ve fluked a a few startling BVs over the years lol

I also find jamming along with your guitar / piano ( playing the instrument I think stimulates your subconscious) and ad lib some BVs....

You might already do this but something else is to try panning the main vocal wide L & R in choruses...keep the main vocal and create 2 new channels...you need to mess around with the levels so it doesn’t become too thin but it helps create an impact for those big parts. Again this is trial and error and works for some songs and not other.

I don’t mean to teach you how to suck eggs as you are way more accomplished than me but that’s what helps me...

Defo a great song however 😍

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2020, 06:28:47 PM »
@kafla No eggs involved Andy don't worry about that.  I have tried some of thoe ideas but not others so I'll give it a go.  In fact where the tune varies slightly at the end started as an attempted harmony part but I wanted to vary the tune so that's where that went!

Cheers

Pete

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2020, 11:45:16 AM »
Love this one @PeteS

Haunting. Builds nicely. Great lyrics. Wonderful song.

Wish I could play the keyboard that well. :D

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2020, 08:52:47 AM »
Thanks Martín.  That’s what I wanted from the so g so I’m chuffed you like it!  8)

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2020, 09:26:17 AM »
Hi Pete

This is a great song. We were talking on the friday zoom call about albums...and I was kind of lamenting their demise as a concept. I was saying how it is invariably a bands album tracks that I fall in love with...where the real personality and thought processes of the artist become more apparent. The quest for the quick, bankable sugar-rush of a single is prioritised far more these days...at the expense of less consumer-driven music.

Your vocals are great in this. I'm always impressed with your vocals. I thought the drums were excellent too...I know we've talked about this element of things before...and you really seem to have been getting the drums right on the money just lately. Piano is lovely...good luck with that...it must be a hell of an undertaking to learn piano.

If I was totally honest, I would perhaps say that unless the listener loved the song, they might find their attention wandering a little. I just did a song I thought was in danger of going on too long...so I cut everything that I thought wasn't necessary and kept the story moving along the whole time. But it's a personal decision...and ultimately, it's something I think we all need to follow our hearts on. After all...if anyone didn't really like the song that much...would they like it any more if it was 3'30" rather than 5'30"? I suspect not...so there's probably no point in cutting it down.

My point being that songs like this are a treat for anyone who likes songs like this...and I am one of those people.

And it's certainly not a dirge  :)

heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter