konalavadome

Africa Rising (Collab with Cecile)

• 20 Replies

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2020, 08:54:01 AM »
You are a whizz at the manipulation of samples John. The horn part flows so effortlessly in the track that I wasn't sure if it was someone playing live or if it was all one sample. Defo wouldn't have guessed that it was the product of slicing and pitching etc as it all seems so natural and organic. It's a talent you've shown in other tracks too so you've clearly hit upon some sort of magical formula or system for bringing sampled loops to the next level!

Do you have any tips or go to FX that help this process as when I try this kinda thing it usually sounds like the horrible Frankenstein creation that it is with bits and pieces cut and stuck in everywhere!

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2020, 08:25:10 AM »
@MonnoDB @Grubstar @moraamarolaloba @Jamie - Thank you so much guys. Hope that we managed to inject a bit of sunshine into the gloom  :)

@hardtwistmusic - Wow ! What can I say, that is a compliment indeed. I'm absolutely bowled over  :)

@Sing4me88 - To answer your question regarding samples, I use the Loopcloud application. Loopcloud when used as a VST will sync with the BPM of your DAW and you can also set the key so that the samples will play in the desired key of your song. I've found that deviating the key from the original sample key can produce "unusual" sounds so try not to do that too much. I might use a "run" in a sample, but often it involves chopping the sample up into individual notes and sometimes stretching. The output sometimes does sound a little "stitched" but I've found that by applying some subtle chorus or reverb the effect is reduced and placement in the mix also helps. I don't think it's an exact science or formula that I apply, just a lot of experimentation  :)

Thank you all so much once again from us  :) 

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2020, 09:26:01 AM »
Wow, brilliant stuff - drums, guitars, vocals, brass, all jamazing. Really exciting and infectious. Seriously impressive

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2020, 10:21:07 AM »
Well, even if it's not 'an exact science or formula' that you apply it sure as hell works a treat! I was guessing that the strategic use of reverb and chorus FX would help it all blend together but I'm sure that's only when the slicing is done with the precision and care that you invest in it.
I also use Loop Cloud, oddly enough after you signposted me to it in another thread, but I mainly use it to process and pitch change loops etc as a stand alone application rather than using it in its VST version. I'll usually get the loop processed to my liking and then transfer it into the DAW as a WAV, before starting to slice and rearrange as necessary there. However, after reading your comments it does seem to make more sense to actually use this facility in Loop Cloud itelf.....

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2020, 11:03:39 AM »
Hi PJ/Cecile,

Brilliant stuff.
The vocal processing is really good.
Your voices work very well together.
Everything just sounds so live and in the room.

Loved it.
More like this.  :)

Digger

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2020, 11:13:55 AM »
John,
Had me from the off, the rhythm just got me.
All the bits are just where they should be, I was merrily bobbing away.
The verse and chorus hit right in the Marley and Wailers sweet spot.
Was kind of wondering if you were going to do a of dub at the breakdown, or maybe a remix?
Did I say I liked it? Yes sir.
:-)
Neil

songwriter of no repute..