konalavadome

The Golden Mile

• 16 Replies

Kafla

« on: October 18, 2020, 11:06:50 AM »
https://soundcloud.com/andrewcruse/the-golden-mile

My Dad is a mad Elvis fan...we were supposed to go to Graceland in July, Nashville, Memphis, Atlanta, Tupelo etc the ultimate road trip with my parents, wife and 3 kids...Covid stopped that...and so we found ourselves in Blackpool. A place I have been to many times as a child but not for a very long time! It was great though breaking away from the house and spending time with my family/parents...and 2 dogs... We all huddled around the TV at night drinking and taking the p!ss out of each other.

So this song is a letter to my parents and Blackpool  ;)

I took some pics and mixed them up with pics from the good old days and made a video...

I start nearly every song I do as a sketch on GarageBand on the iPad...I can work very flexibly on that device programming away and recording rough vocals and guitars and it can all be done anywhere...at the breakfast table...on the train with headphones etc...I also find some of the smart instruments to be excellent...

I can then airdrop directly into Logic to play with the serious toys...I absolutely love Logic and you really wouldn't need anything else unless you had some spare pocket money....

I use a little trick sometimes which is to cut and paste a string line and put an additional track up an octave on the last verse/chorus...it seems to have an impact for my naive ears...

Sometimes I get totally lost in the mix of a song, gradually making little changes that make the song worse until I just want to smash my computer up...thankfully this isn't an issue here as I can't find my file so this is the final and last mix lol

The Golden Mile

Nice to see you in the morning strolling down the Golden Mile
Making footprints in the wet sand
Sitting in the pub a while
You know Paddy its the good life , this is living all our dreams
Another drink and I’ll be merry, squeeze your mother  tenderly

I remember in my childhood , 99s and funny lines
On my fathers shoulders singing , those were so amazing times
And my mother would get tipsy and she’d say “you’ll rule the world “
And then she’d tell my sister “oh my girl you’ll  get there first “

I want to thank you for those memories
I want to thank you for that love
It will last with me forever
I could never thank you enough

Nice to see you in the evening strolling up the Golden Mile
The tower rising in the distance waving at the emerald isle
You know you will shine forever, though you’ll always feel the same
And you know we won’t forget her, we’ll keep whispering her name

https://soundcloud.com/andrewcruse/the-golden-mile
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 11:14:22 AM by kafla »

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 11:29:06 AM »
@kafla ,

Didn't we have a great time, laughing as we were jolted by the smash of the bumper cars, thrown into another dimension on the waltzes before screaming as we hurtled down the rollercoaster? A few pints in the pub, dancing with the people that we love and then this song came drifting across the room through the speakers, falling gently upon our ears.  It caught the magic of the day and the warmth in our hearts.  Golden moments from The Golden Golden Mile!  You've captured everything that is good about life in a single song whilst inviting the Beatles to make a guest appearance too.

You have such a gift, stirring the hearts and minds of the listener whilst providing a glimpse into your beautiful life.

You've done it again, not a dry eye in the house. 

Thank you my dear friend.

Paul
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 07:30:52 PM by Wicked Deeds »

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 01:19:08 PM »
Hola @kafla
It is a song full of nostalgia and emotions that many of us share in one way or another.
I really like the lyrics and the video you have put together accompanies the story.
Maybe it seemed to me that the guitar from the beginning sounds strange together with the backing, very sharp? It will surely be my headphones ...

Nice effect on the voice.
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2020, 01:55:27 PM »
@kafla Andy - I love how you've used the idea of a letter for the lyrics on this one. I'm sure that there are thousands of us who all remember going on a visit to Blackpool when we were kids. It was the height of excitement. This is another great write from you, a nostalgic look back. Your vocals are always superb and complimented with a great backing track that oozes emotion. Superb  :)

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 02:07:11 PM »
Hi Kaf,

Loved the video - great nostalgia trip.
I've a love/hate thing with Blackpool; happy memories of going to see the lights as a special trip each year when I was nipper - despite me always being travel sick within 2 or 3 miles of leaving our home in Derbyshire. I once got lost on the back streets when I was 5 - following an old lady I thought was my grandma. I was rescued by someone who fortunately knew where the place parents waited for lost kids was. Just me, my satchel and a Spiderman mask. Got some ice cream out of it - so not all bad.
Good to see the pics - so typically British. There's something special about old seaside towns - or maybe the memories they conjure.
Not quite Graceland though.

Thought the song fit perfectly.

Digger

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2020, 05:52:21 PM »
Goodness @kafla you’ve conjured up a nostalgic tale there that many of us will relate to. You’ve delivered it in an emotional style and certainly got a lump in the throat from me when I thought about it, being drawn in by the great music and your very gifted vocal.

So much imagery in there and triggering of memories left right and centre. Top songwriter craft.

My only slight concern was that I’d maybe have liked a bit of variety away from that very pronounced strings pulse that you use throughout. Maybe something with a bit more ‘swing’ to it in a M8? Just an idea, but if you don’t tweak it then it is still a very fine song.

Cool video too  :D
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Grubstar

• Open Mic
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2020, 02:21:12 PM »
Hi @kafla

Although Blackpool isn't my favourite place, my wife and son absolutely love it and used to have an annual pilgramage to see the lights and ride the trams , I have personally walked the Golden Mile from the Pleasue Beach to Cleveleys ( which is a damn sight further than a mile )

However, I do like this song which is a very enjoyable,well recorded, nostalgic and loving  snapshot of family holidays in days gone by.
I loved the melody and  backing  track and your vocals are as usual superb. I also thought the family video was great.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2020, 05:04:23 PM »
Love this, @kafla

The intro gives it a flavour of that slightly tipsy fairground waltzer feeling.

I enjoyed the simple loving sentiment that runs through it (like a stick of Blackpool rock  :P)

Lots of great lines but it never veers off into schmaltz...in fact, it's really lovely.

I spent the longest day of my life in Blackpool. I went there on a bus trip with some people I used to go to school with one Sunday around 1984. I wasn't really friends with any of them (duly reciprocated) and I managed to lose everyone (or more likely, everyone managed to lose me) on one of the piers/suicide facilities about half an hour after our arrival. That was around 11:30am. I didn't go looking for them...I figured I was bound to bump into them again (too) soon. Ha.

I'd run out of things to do by 2pm and then realised that the pubs were shut, so I went for a long walk. I remember that the sea went such a long way out...as if it was trying to escape to Ireland...and wondering why the golden sands looked so much like grey mud....and how on earth the "pleasure beach" got it's name.

Having always been really fashion-conscious and suspecting that the weather would probably be shit, I was wearing a Marks and Spencer Cardigan over my black Clash Combat Rock t-shirt (great t-shirt, terrible album). Walking along the promenade towards me were a group of what we would now perhaps call people with learning disabilities and several of them had exactly the same cardigans on as me. Once they'd passed, I took it off (absolutely true) and lobbed it over the barrier onto the beach/mudflats in disgust at my wardrobe-based fail.

I wandered around town. Almost everywhere was closed. I'd blown nearly all of my money confirming that the word "amusements" was, at best, wishful thinking. Then again, you can't blame businesses for being reluctant to put up a sign that says "waste your money having a shit time with flashing lights and bell/laser noises here"

I don't think people remember just how utterly desperate Sundays used to be.

I bought a couple of cans of McEwans Export from a "newsagent"  in a backstreet adult bookshop. He asked me to leave after I'd spent about 20 mins just trying to keep warm, so I thought I'd better buy something...and all the reading material was filth.

After I'd made the beer last for about a fortnight, it was only about 3:30pm. I saw sign back near the Pier that said "Palm Reading £1" so I thought I'd give that a go. I paid my £1 note and sat down in her little booth and showed her my palm. Then for some reason she seemed a bit agitated and said she couldn't tell me anything and gave me my money back. I thought that was really strange...and have thought about it many times since. I thought "why would she not just say what she saw...unless it was something horrible...and even then, she could just have made something up...like they always do anyway, I expect. If it was something grim, she could have at least warned me

"sorry, son...but if you don't change your ways, you'll end up writing pointless, exhausting reviews on a songwriter forum in 35 years time that nobody can be arsed to read"

I think she's the reason I never got my shit together in life...I wasn't expecting to live anywhere near this long.

Anyway, by the time the pubs opened up again at (I think) 7pm I was a broken man. Eventually, in one of the bars, I bumped into some of the Bus Trip Clowns. I'd never been so pleased to bump into people I don't like.

The bus came maybe an hour later, and I went home. Thank fuck.

Great song Andy.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Beebeesmith

• Busker
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2020, 08:09:26 PM »
Hi
I have a listen to some of the great songs on hear but rarely comment and although I have never been or had the desire to go to Blackpool the imagery works for many a coastal resort. I think about my departed family constantly and this song with the excellent lyrics, vocals and melody embraced the feelings and memories that live within.
So thanks for the memories, great job.
BB

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2020, 08:53:00 PM »
Hi mate,
Nice to hear someone else using the iPad for musical sketches/ideas, it really is an incredible tool that I use to some degree on every song.😄🎶👍🏻🎶

Lovely song, lovely lyrics, music does a nice job although I agree with another comment that some variety would make it even nicer/dynamic.

Sorry buddy,Wasn’t crazy about the intro guitar, something sounds a little off there to me? maybe it is a little sharp as someone suggested? Not sure, but that’s my honest feedback, it’s the same when u return to it later aswell.

Songs from the heart are always the best and you can definitely hear that in this one.

Nice work and I hope that this helps mate. 😄🎶👊🏻🎶

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2020, 08:43:38 AM »
That's terrible, we had a big family trip around some of the national parks in a big RV last year and I keep think how I'd feel if it had been this year and cancelled, gutted for you and the family.

The song has a lovely vibe, love the letter concept. For me each part was great, well constructed but together, I felt I wanted a big build chorus or something to really do justice to the rest.

Really interested in the iPad stuff so I'll post a question elsewhere!
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA
Instagram @echodogsofficial

Kafla

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2020, 11:50:12 AM »
@Wicked Deeds your reviews are always so thoughtful mate...this brought a wee tear to my eye...I enjoyed our chat immesley yesterday and I am excited about our plans  ;D

@moraamarolaloba thank you so much...if I could find the file I would look into the guitar further...it sounds in tune to my ears but they have been bashed around a lot so I wouldn't say you were wrong lol

@pompeyjazz High praise indeed from the master of every genre!

@digger72 thanks you legend!

@MichaelA yes I can see what you mean about the pulsing strings...thanks for listening mate :)

@Grubstar yes Ive been to every town there from St Annes to Cleveleys...and probably every working man's club as a child as well for some seafood snacks at the intermission lol thanks mate!

@PaulAds without doubt the greatest review thats ever been posted on this forum...more entertaining than even the song! Thanks so much mate!

@Beebeesmith what can I say? if this made you think of your departed family then I am humbled beyond belief! the video has images of all my family , a lot no longer with us! My sister let me my parents see the video and hear the song - I didnt have the guts - well my Dad called me as proud as punch - "you are something else you know" he said to me...well I still carry that comment in my heart every day  :)

@LostBoy I undertand the guitar comment mate and I know if you are honest about that then you are also honest with the praise and so for that I am very grateful - thank you  ;D

@PeteS thanks for listening mate  :D

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2020, 04:28:00 PM »
@kafla .. Andy this is lovely. Very emotional and real warmth and love shine through. It’s a really pretty melody - perfect accompaniment to those words...

I normally don’t watch videos but here I am (second time during my listening this afternoon) drawn completely to those images.. what a lovely thing for your family to have!!

Super song.  Again.... 🙂🙂

Oh and thanks for the wave!! 🙃

Kafla

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2020, 04:50:09 PM »
@kafla .. Andy this is lovely. Very emotional and real warmth and love shine through. It’s a really pretty melody - perfect accompaniment to those words...

I normally don’t watch videos but here I am (second time during my listening this afternoon) drawn completely to those images.. what a lovely thing for your family to have!!

Super song.  Again.... 🙂🙂

Oh and thanks for the wave!! 🙃

😂😂

Thank you so much Karen 😎

I like putting little “Easter eggs” in my lyrics and since 3 of my Grandparents were Irish it worked on another level for me 😌

So glad you enjoyed it...means a lot 👌

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2020, 02:19:06 PM »
@kafla

Hi Andy, I was sure I'd already posted a review for this ::) :P. Great emotional song with a lovely pastiche video that worked well.I too, have a problem with the tuning of a guitar in places :o. Enjoyed it, a lovely piece of family history.

Cheers

Jamie