konalavadome

God Bites Back (Binladeda challenge)

• 12 Replies

5 guys named Lars

• Solo Gig
    • 5 Guys Named Lars- Soundcloud
« on: October 15, 2020, 06:56:00 AM »
Good morning,
Here is my effort for the Binladeda challenge. I`ve kept the country theme..a cowboy from the mid-west (just outside Dudley) left his town & his girl to sow his oats,drink his beer & do naughty things to cattle.On his return he discovers there has been a communications problem.  :-\
I throw my stetson aloft to @kafla for the challenge idea & to everyone who took up the challenge. They`ve all been great till this one. :D . Thanks most of all to @Binladeda who gave his time to provide the piece of music & marvelous guitar work. Thanks for listening & hope you like it.

https://soundcloud.com/theurbanmyths/god-bites-back

God Bites Back.
Its a recurring theme, my eyes are bigger than my brain it seems.
She got revenge this time I`ve been shot down but theres been no crime.
I used to pull the heads off daddylonglegs but now I`m going out with girls
And last night karma kicked me where it hurts.

Ch. At first I thought that she was laughing.
She hid her face with her sleeve.
But then she said "Oh babe I need you...
I need you to leave "
Well I would call it unexpected..you could call it naive
When she said "Oh babe I need you...
I need you to leave"

I`ve travelled far & wide and done some bad things that kept me up all night.
A letter every day is clearly not enough to keep the dogs at bay.
She loved her country music & would often go to clubs alone.
But she was never dancing on her own.

Ch Shes been dancing with the mailman
Every week without fail
Well I guess that thats the reason she ain`t been getting my mail.
I would call it unexpected..you could call it naive
I need you to leave"

I`ve been the architect who`s been drawing up the houses of ill-respect
Its a familiar track, you think your futures written but God bites back.
I used to shoot the heads off salamanders then started going out with girls
And sometimes karma hits you where it hurts.

If theres a moral to the story its that you reap what you sow,
Cos she said "Oh babe I need you...
I need you to go"
I would call it unexpected..you could call it naive
I need you to leave"

Extra info for those interested;
Music: Didn`t change Binladeda`s basic track too much. I increased the tempo slightly, added a bit of my Yamaha organ, acoustic guitar, bit of bass & warbled all over it.Main problem was (as usual) with the vocals. Don`t know what key it was in but it wasn`t mine. (S flat!).
Lyrics:I normally start writing from the title so I focused on the most emotive part of the song "I love you..I need you..I need you..it was I love you to death for a few hours before I thought of "I need you..I need you to leave". I started with placeholder lyrics about the challenge itself "Its a familiar track..you`ve heard this song before..its a recurring theme etc etc" & a couple of them stayed in. Wanted a title with Karma in it but couldn`t think of one for days & then I thought of the phrase "God Bites Back".

https://soundcloud.com/theurbanmyths/god-bites-back

« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 02:32:14 AM by 5 guys named Lars »

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 08:38:03 AM »
This is rather wonderful @5 guys named Lars. I love the synth that you have added, gives it a more spaghetti western feel. The lyrics are an interesting twist on a country theme. "Dancing with the mailman"  :) Love the attention to the vocals .Another cracker in the challenge that keeps on giving  :) :)

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 12:53:00 PM »
Holy shizzle, if this is you having problems with the lyrics, what kind of fireworks emerge from your fingertips on a good day?!

Lyrics are really special here - the past bad deeds (daddy longlegs!) are brilliant. And the mailman is a (clearly languidly charming) piece of genius. And the "to leave" payoff line is great (and really "country" - they love that stuff).

Given all those super bits, I think in the verse your vocal could do with being a touch clearer - in the pre-choruses it already is. Maybe it might work single-tracked sometimes, what do I know...

Anyhow, love what you've done with this - the added synth works really well too. Challenge smashed!

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2020, 07:53:45 PM »
A bit of English whimsical eccentricity injected into the Big West, it's an inventive take on the backing material alright. Lovely meandering story fits that Country heart to it, but that little catchy synth embellishment somehow pulls it back to at least Mid Atlantic territory, or possibly up the Thames to Deptford.

Great entertaining lyric writing and the signature tongue in cheek vocal sound and feel really seals the deal. Fab entry Lars Collective :)
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2020, 08:11:42 AM »
Excellent!

Great lyrics, lots of funny and clever lines...totally refreshing and original.

You’ve managed to weave a super melody in there as well. The banjo-esque acoustic guitar is a great addition. So is nudging the tempo up a little.

It’s amazing that so many people have been able to come up with so many brilliant and diverse entries from the same starting point.

Like all of your stuff, this has great charm.

Super stuff, Chris.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2020, 10:10:50 AM »
@5 guys named Lars - Excellent stuff, @PaulAds says it all...you lot are very talented wordsmiths.

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2020, 12:46:02 PM »
@5 guys named Lars
Hi, great lyric, really enjoyed it. Fab guitars and the melody is also very good. Another successful participant in the challenge!

Nice one!

Cheers

Jamie

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2020, 05:31:32 PM »
@5 guys named Lars,

It' always dangerous when multiple people write to the same backing.  Steve plays a guitar riff that both you and I have picked up on. Consequently, we've both written identical melody dmbraces the same phrasing:  'First I thought that she was laughing', 'she's been dancing' etc, 'there's a moral to the story' and my lyric of 'sunlight flickers in the shallows' are the culprit in this case but then, it was always there in the backing for a writer to highlight.

Anyway, similarities aside Cool keyboard riff that was unexpected.  A really full set of lyrics that take the listener on a journey and tell a great story.  It's really interesting to hear how individuals mix and highlight the different riffs that steve has played. 

I must have listened 4 times.  It grows every time.  Cool work my friend!

Paul

« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 09:23:08 AM by Wicked Deeds »

Kafla

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2020, 06:55:58 PM »
The keyboard really changes it @5 guys named Lars 😎👍🏻

Your songs always take me a listen or 2 but when they register you can always find the craft...

Your lyrics are so well crafted...your songs are always quirky and unique...you have a style all of your own...

Suits the schizophrenia 😂

Love it mate _ another top drawer effort from a class act 😃👍🏻

5 guys named Lars

• Solo Gig
    • 5 Guys Named Lars- Soundcloud
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2020, 11:19:29 PM »
Many thanks for the kind words @pompeyjazz
Cheers @adamfarr ..the great thing about this challenge was that most of the music was actually done so had time to concentrate on the words. You`re absolutely right about the vocals. My "go to" action if my vocal sounds crap is to keep adding bits over & over & too much.Would probably be easier to try & sing properly to start with. ;D
Thanks @MichaelA ..love a bit of flimsy whimsy as you can probably tell & yes @PaulAds I could probably make a Les Paul Stratocaster sound like a fucking banjo. Its tragic !! ;D
Thank you @cowparsleyman . We take it in turns with a word each when we write..it stops any in-fighting. :)
Many thanks @Jamie.
Yes its true @Wicked Deeds we`ve taken the similar melodies but your song is better cos you took the time to change the track quite fundamentally while mine sounds more like a karaoke effort.
Cheers @kafla for the nice feedback & again thanks for the great idea in the first place. With so many diverse entries the challenge has definitely been a success.

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2020, 09:02:22 PM »
I need you.. to leave! Haha that's a hoot!
Love what you did to this - it borders on a comedy song but stays in the "charming" lane quite nicely.
Like Paul @Wicked Deeds says, we all used similar melody lines in the chorus - but I admire how you came up with an original melody in the verses. And speeding it up a bit made it even more charming  :D

Good track! (and I wouldn't say that unless it was true)  ;D
Paul

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2020, 10:15:04 AM »
Lars,
Really good lyrics that kept me engaged throughout the cool tune.
The chorus lines are fab and put a smile on face.
I just wondered if you should call it Leave?
:-)
neil
songwriter of no repute..

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2020, 07:47:23 PM »
That's such a great line "I need you.. I need you to leave".. Quirky lyrics.. wonderfully quirky lyrics.. love them!

Charming is a good word for it... Really enjoyed it @5 guys named Lars !

K