konalavadome

Melodyne

• 6 Replies

Kafla

« on: October 13, 2020, 05:21:14 PM »
Been trialling Melodyne on the back of Boydie’s mix...

Pretty blown away with it so far 😍

I have a question for users - do you need to double click on each note individually or can you select all and double click ?

Also does anyone have any tips to share for a novice 😎

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 05:48:54 PM »
Watch loads of the Melodyne videos

Tip #1 is to press “Alt” when dragging notes to pitch

I will try to get some short vids done soon
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2020, 08:51:29 PM »
I’ve just started using it following a discussion with @cowparsleyman .  I tried the trial version of Waves Tune as it’s on offer for $30.  It’s good but having tried the free version of Melody, I didn’t feel that it compared well enough. 

So I now have Melodyne essential and it’s very impressive.  @Boydie is right though, hold down option on the Mac gives you total control.  And there are indeed some very helpful videos around.
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA
Instagram @echodogsofficial

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 10:17:42 PM »
So I asked the question of CPM, which is that I detect a touch of ‘grainyness’ when used. I’ve free version. Anyone else hear it?
 Trying it out on harmonies and BV’s but leaving lead vocals alone. Seems to creat a nice contrast..
:-)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2020, 10:32:12 PM »
I have definitely heard that but it’s about undoing that part and being more subtle with it.  I haven’t used it on a final track yet but am learning how to apply it so that it can’t be detected.  At the start I applied it to the whole track then tweaked it.  Now I am listening to the vocal carefully and tweaking individual sections.  Most of my vocal is on tune, it’s the odd little part, usually when there is a quick change of pitch.  It’s perfect for that. 
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA
Instagram @echodogsofficial

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2020, 10:36:44 PM »
I’ve just started using it following a discussion with @cowparsleyman .  I tried the trial version of Waves Tune as it’s on offer for $30.  It’s good but having tried the free version of Melody, I didn’t feel that it compared well enough. 

So I now have Melodyne essential and it’s very impressive.  @Boydie is right though, hold down option on the Mac gives you total control.  And there are indeed some very helpful videos around.
@PeteS - glad you found it useful, it’s a pleasure to help you. My biggest tip is to keep it very simple and practise a lot, chop small bits where the notes are off beam,  only move notes that are out, no need to process the whole track.

The next exercise would be a simple harmony line based on a copy of the LVox and
 moving the blobs up a major 3rd, you’ll need to move some a bit more to make it sound right, but it’s good practice Peter.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2020, 10:45:34 PM »
Seems like you’re there already.

@Neil C - Neil regarding grainyness...I was getting this in the earlier versions a tad but found that unless it was a particularly exposed virtuoso piece it would go un noticed, as a rule the more you do to notes the more the risk of distortion, say you move it up an octave, change the formant , shorten the blob, and flatten the  pitch, the engine inside melodyne has more to do, do this for a lot of notes and you’ll be asking more of it’s engine, melodyne tech support suggested i increase the buffers inside melodyne, maybe look there.

Hope this helps.