Try - Ashes for Dreams

• 18 Replies

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2020, 07:56:57 PM »
Hi all - thanks so much for the listens and the feedback..

@LostBoy - thanks a mill.. Noted re vox..

@Sebandme - thanks so much.. I'm always thrilled to hear pos feedback on vox (JB could tell you I freak out about them a lot and I totally freaked out on this one!). Much appreciated..

@digger72 - thanks a mill.. Fab comments... delighted.. Re 13 secs in, that's just me singing "assume" really quickly.. :)

@MichaelA - thanks a mill... lovely comments.. re the key, I did try it out lower but it didn't feel right so I pushed myself up higher (some of those harms were a stretch!).. It's funny - I seem to write more and more in higher keys - the two we're working on at the mo are also high.. I apparently am a bit of a masochist! :)

@Jamie  - thanks a mill :) ! Agree re the guitar break - fab!

@Unclenny - yeah I know,  straightforward love song, what's happening to us!?!?! Normal dark service is due to resume very soon!

@Grubstar - thanks a mill.. Such kind comments.. well we do love what we do, I gotta say!

@moraamarolaloba gracias! You are so lovely.. Thanks so much.. Noted re guitar volumes.. :)

@pompeyjazz yes it's mad re the queue jumping.. it may have just happened again, possibly.. thanks for the lovely comments..

@5 guys named Lars thanks so much - great to hear re phrasing.. It was a little tricky to nail :) Much appreciated...

@Beebeesmith - thanks so much - @Jambrains has responded in his post re the drums.. Thanks for your lovely comments..

Chuffed here.. thank you all so much..

Karen.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2020, 05:55:03 PM »
Excellent all round...lovely vocals and great lyrics. Playing is excellent...I maybe thought the drums were a tiny bit too busy what with all the other instruments giving it six nowt too...and there were a couple of lines that you did remarkably well to fit in. I felt a little punch-drunk just before the breakdown...which was lovely...and gave my corner the chance to throw a bucket of water over me, rub some more grease around where my cheekbones used to be and whack a fresh gum shield in my gob before I got back to my feet for the final onslaught.

A really top-quality number...everything I've heard from you two both on your own and collectively has always been nothing short of excellent. I don't think you actually need each other at all...and that seems to be a very healthy way to get together.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2020, 09:54:05 AM »
ugh - I really, really like the song - but I wasn't really so taken with how it came together, can I say that?

Lyrics are great - I particularly love the first verse with the "picture you've painted" section, and the "sell me the story that will seal the deal" part.

Guitars sound amazingly "tight" and the solo has a fantastic tone.

Probably I wanted to hear a bit thicker / more cutting vocals (as you say they did sound a bit high in your range) and a bit less drums. But that's just me of course - nothing bad or wrong, just different from what I tend to gravitate towards.

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2020, 01:23:06 PM »
ugh - I really, really like the song - but I wasn't really so taken with how it came together, can I say that?

You can say whatever you wish @adamfarr .. :) I guess I'm struggling a little with describing my process... I may leave that bit out in future :) let JB impart the interesting stuff..

Thanks for the comments and the notes - much appreciated..

@PaulAds - you crack me up sometimes.. love that review.. Hope you've recovered :)   

K