konalavadome

new song-Why would you do that?

• 33 Replies

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« on: October 12, 2020, 12:43:28 PM »
https://soundcloud.com/jamie1802/why-would-you-do-that

Hi all, trying to create an atmospheric soundscape to support a lyric that doesn't tell a story and leaves plenty of room for listeners interpretation. Tried not to use conventional structure/instruments/chord structures? etc. Interested to hear your usual intelligent and insightful comments ;)

Cheers

Jamie

Why would you do that?

I know you've been messing my mind
And why would you do that?

How could you be so unkind?

What are you playing at?
And why are you saying that?
Why would you do that?

Is it just another nightmare?
And I'll soon be awake?

I can't do anymore
I can't take anymore

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 12:47:39 PM »
@Jamie
This reminded me of Yes. It is open ended and leaves the listener to fill in the gaps. The synths are beautifully done as is your vocal with some really interesting soundscapes which perfectly reflect the mood of the song. A fine example of your abilities as an arranger and producer.
M

Unclenny

• Solo Gig
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2020, 01:35:50 PM »
Wow! What a cool atmospheric piece.

Impressive arrangement and production.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?band

Kafla

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2020, 01:58:21 PM »
I liked this from the very first note mate...

really diggin the base...the melody line is just perfect

it sounds like one of those great transitional songs that breaks everything up on a classic album.

I always love ambigous lyrics...lots of space for the listener to design their own interpretation.

First class arrangement and production.

Grubstar

• Open Mic
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2020, 03:05:01 PM »
Hi @Jamie

Mission accomplished, a really fantastic atmospheric soundscape with great vocals and open lyrics. Absolutely loved the bass
and the 10CC inspired layered backing vocals and swells, all in all a great production job and arrangement, fabulous.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2020, 03:34:47 PM »
My favorite part is the backing vocals, but I liked it all. Everything meshed well together for me. And now I'm inspired to try something experimental. Very nice.

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2020, 06:18:35 PM »
Hola @Jamie
Personally I really liked the song, it has space, changes of atmosphere, air, and the voice
is part of the instrumentation 'cause of the melody it plays.

The choruses and FX are very successful, the arrangement has different parts, something that I love and with which I feel very comfortable, natural for me with this style.

It has led me to a time when when listening to the music you closed your eyes and went on a trip, a great way to travel and cheap too hahaha

I would leave it like that, just as it is.

The lyrics ... are questions to the air, so they are integrated.

Stay safe

Mora
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2020, 07:48:04 PM »
Not Meatloaf then?? :)

Sparse lyrics tell the story perfectly - I like that! Less is more.. The music has tension that matches said story.. As always, lovely rich layers.. Love it when the drums come in... (great drums btw!)..

Lovely vocal @Jamie ...

No crits.. it's just as polished as I would expect - you are really on a roll.. turning out quality piece after quality piece..

K

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2020, 09:58:10 AM »
Hi Jamie, this is a really imaginative musical creation of the protagonists tortured mind. The loose structure and the dipping in and out of various themes makes me think of somebody whose head is all over the place. We’ve all been there!

The whole thing is great, but I actually liked the first half better as it was so unusual before it kicked in, a kind of prog rock ballad that was new to my ears at least.

Amazing soundscape, I love all this thought you are putting into this succession of productions, with so much detail for the listener to discover and loads of surprises along the way.
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2020, 12:59:23 PM »
Hi all, thanks for listening!

@montydog
Hi Alan, thanks for your kind comments. Yes have been mentioned a number of times over the years, but more persistently lately, I take that as a compliment!. Glad you 'got' the atmosphere/emotion I was trying to create.

@Unclenny

Hi, thanks I think I got the sound I was going for (which is quite unusual for me :P).Glad you enjoyed it!

@kafla

Hi Andy, cool review thank you. It's only fairly recently I've been able to conjure the soundscapes for songs that I could hear in my head. Must have learned something from all the production Yoda's on this forum ;). Pleased you enjoyed it!

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2020, 01:05:54 PM »
Hi All, thanks for listening!

@Grubstar

Hi, great comments, thanks! I was looking for that 10CC layered vocal sound, glad you spotted it.

@CaliaMoko

Hi Vicki, experimental is good! What have we got to lose? Glad you liked the vocals, mine have gotten better over the years. I like the backing vocals too, they are heavily manipulated, but create an esoteric atmosphere.

@moraamarolaloba

Hi Mora, lovely comments thanks you. Yes, I was using my voice with lots of effects as an instrument. I don't think I've really done that before! I'm glad it transported you, hopefully to a place where the sun is shining!  ;D

Thanks again!

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2020, 01:14:32 PM »
Hi, thanks for listening!

@MonnoDB

Hi Karen, no definitely not Meatloaf! The drums are an apple loop in pro logic, so pretty easy, I think it was my expert crafting of the sound of them that made the difference ;). I'm a big fan of Thom Yorke and he really goes in for sparse, non story telling lyrics. I can only aspire to his majestic level 8). great comments Karen , thanks!

@MichaelA

Hi Michael, lovely comments , you are too kind! Yes, tortured soul was the look I was aiming for. Sparseness works for tortured I think? Glad you enjoyed the soundscape, I've been working hard to try and find new sounds and ingredients to move away from the traditional, guitars, bass and drums backing track. Not that theres anything wrong with that, I'm sure I'll be back there at some point, but it's fun and interesting to experiment!

Cheers guys, thanks again!

Jamie

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2020, 03:38:34 PM »
Very nice.

I had to go back and delete the word "atmospheric" from my opening sentence...as almost everyone else seems to have picked up on that! And no wonder...it's very atmospheric. Damn!

The chorus hook is really cool. That change just before "I can't do anymore" is lovely.

I love the slightly wobbly three-note bass riff underpinning it. The choral pad (?) gives it an other-world feel which works very well...and leaves the listener pondering what feel likes a musical note of caution.

Excellent!
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2020, 03:11:18 AM »
Hi Jamie
Your creativity really shines in this one.
I love the non-conventional structure and of course the wonderful vocals and that bass synth meandering around like it does.
Perfect length - say what you want to say and get off the fecking stage! :D

Paul

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2020, 05:48:18 PM »
@Jamie

There are some really great examples of different writing styles on this forum.  Yours is certaily  one of the most unique styles that I hear on this forum.  You've produced a huge soundscape of interesting playing. The song production transports us to a different plateau where we can leave behind the cares of the day and totally absorb ourselves in your creation.

Well done

Paul
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 06:12:55 PM by Wicked Deeds »