Forum Faves - August 2020

• 17 Replies

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« on: October 05, 2020, 02:17:21 PM »
Forum Faves – August 2020

It's been great to be asked to host the forum faves feature for August 2020. Yet again, a month with a whole heap of very strong songs, coming from a variety of angles. It was difficult as always whittling the songs on the forum to 5 that demanded an extra bit of critique. As ever, some brilliant songs that have not been included here. I've tried to be objective and choose a selection of songs that cover a variety of styles, so here goes, in no particular order.....

Shame – Jamie @Jamie

First up is Jamie, who seems to have been on an absolute blitz of activity since the start of lockdown producing a fine range of rock offerings. This grabs you from the start with the hypnotic keyboard intro. Jamie's crystal clear melodic vocals tease us with the first verse before we start to build in the second verse into the big, big chorus. Fabulous double tracked vocals and great choice of instrumentation. The standard of production is also top quality. The guitar solo is a killer. One of your best so far for me Jamie :)

The Urban Myths – It's a wonderful Lowlife
@5 guys named Lars

Ah ! As soon as I heard this for the first time, I was back in 1972, recording Top Of The Pops off the telly on my Dad's Grundig reel to reel tape recorder with the budgie singing along in the background and that high pitched 625 lines whine. My dad is muttering something about blokes wearing glitter and considering banning TOTP in the house (which he actually did do for a year) I think he relented as he missed Pan's People though. Anyway, I digress, and I'm only telling you all this as it reminded me of an early T.Rex song. The Lars Boys are in fine form here with this acoustic / bongo vibe. A smashing melody and as catchy as anything. I love the little brass interlude and listen carefully as there's a lot going on in there.

Also some to quality lyric lines thrown in for good measure. My favourite lines are “Some people say that all roads lead to Rome. Well I bloody hope not `cos I`m driving home.“

Top work Larses :)

Viscount Cramer – Don't Touch This @Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

From Northern Denmark, we venture to France for the latest offering from Bandleader Viscount Cramer and his fabulous orchestra. Oh man, this is fffunky as funk. Shi's vocals just suit this style so well and Ian had created an amazing groove that I could listen to again and again. He sure is an expert with that loop manipulation jiggery pokery. Anyway, this one I just kept coming back to again and again. It's da groove kids !

Cowparsleyman – Kinky Blackbird (Bri Nylon Mix) @cowparsleyman

Rich transports us in a black cab back to Carnaby street in 1966 with a wonderful pastiche of 1960's styles. There's The Kinks, Bonzo Dog, The Beatles (Yup a good measure of Sgt Pepper) I think Rich has really captured the essence of 1960's London with this number. This deserves a lot of listens to appreciate everything that is going on. As usual there is an incredible attention to detail, something that we have come to associate with Cowparsleyman. I don't know if I could ever persevere. It's groovy man !!!

Dinnerwithgreedo – Colorado On My Mind @dinnerwithgreedo

Last up is the talented Mr Dinnerwithgreedo with a fine little folky / country ditty. I love the vocals on this one and tasteful choice of instrumentation. I also really like the simplicity of this number, a lovely simple melody and great acoustic picking work – Gee, I think I'm becoming a country convert. Please help me if I branch into Bro-Country

Anyway, I hope that I've been eclectic in my choices. I wanted to make a selection of songs that highlighted the diversity of the forum rather that to choose songs in genres that I favour more than others.  I'm treating this exercise differently than I would do if I was hosting “Song Of The Month” and treating it more like a forum spotlight.

Anyway – My Fave of Faves for August 2020 is Viscount Cramer – Don't Touch This.

Take a bow Mr @Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

See you next month :)

John

dinnerwithgreedo

• Platinum Album
    • Facebook fanpage
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 03:14:05 PM »
Many thanks for picking my tune.

MY fave of YOUR faves is Kinky Blackbird by @cowparsleyman
Remember.... it's just my opinion. It doesn't make me right. Although i probably am ;)

Kafla

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 04:40:42 PM »
Great write up @pompeyjazz 👏🏻👏🏻

I had listened to and enjoyed them all except for @5 guys named Lars which must have been posted just before I was rejoined...and that’s a rather good song indeed so I’m glad you picked it...and the rest 😎👍🏻

Kafla

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 04:41:20 PM »
Rejoined lol 😂

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2020, 06:17:16 PM »
Lovely diverse selection @pompeyjazz and an entertaining write up too, especially the TOTP nostalgia sketch.  ;D Nice to see so many different styles on show and a quality collection it is too. Well done to all who made it into MC Pomp’s playlist. He has connections with Radio Solent don’t you know, so fingers crossed, you might get lucky  ;D

Are you replacing my original stickied post with this John?
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2020, 06:42:10 PM »
Done  ;D
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2020, 06:55:13 PM »
Are we stickying them all or just the latest month?

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2020, 06:56:09 PM »
Great selection by the way, including some that I hadn't really given my full attention to the first time around!

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2020, 07:21:44 PM »
This is a great idea...you've all done a brilliant job of picking these songs out and giving them the extra attention they very much deserve.

The write-ups have all been top-quality too.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2020, 10:12:45 PM »
@pompeyjazz - Delighted and flattered to be one if the forum faves, i feel compelled to say that one of the other faves @5 guys named Lars had a big contribution to ‘Blackbird’, he is a very talented songwriter, and a gas to work with.

I really dig your choices and the very entertaining descriptions of each song, thanks for spending the time to do this, you are always an inspiration John.

My personal favourite is wonderful lowlife, it’s just so original, and i love the phrasing of the lyrics, ‘The Count’ was a close second mind...

« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 10:19:32 PM by cowparsleyman »

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2020, 10:19:49 PM »
Lovely choices @pompeyjazz and a great opportunity to check them all out again.. Lovely write up.. Congrats to you and to all the picks!

K

5 guys named Lars

• Solo Gig
    • 5 Guys Named Lars- Soundcloud
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2020, 11:13:27 PM »
Blimey ! Thank you @pompeyjazz for the excellent write ups & inclusion of our song. I know its only one mans choice but very flattered when there were so many good songs in August.
We will be celebrating, according to the quaint Danish custom of getting slaughtered on overpriced Carlsberg & vomiting in the urinals. What a time to be alive !!

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2020, 07:33:33 AM »
@adamfarr @pompeyjazz

Are we stickying them all or just the latest month?

I was thinking of keeping a rolling “last 3 months” stickied so people can easily go back a check out the previous months

Sound like a plan?
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic