konalavadome

Forum Faves - July 2020

• 13 Replies

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« on: September 28, 2020, 06:02:02 PM »
Hi All - remember July? Not much has happened since then. Thankfully I am here to remind you of those great musical times. I'm sure you prefer being transported back now rather than having these songs repeated at the relevant time (OK, sorry, no excuses really, just very late).

Forum Faves - July 2020 @adamfarr

I remember it being a good month - perhaps not the most prolific, but a few songs really hit me and wouldn't let me forget them.

Here are my faves. No particular order and no particular criteria. Just songs that stood out to me for one reason or another, and that I wanted to get back into your ears at least once more, as they deserve.

What Would Joe Have Done? by @PaulAds
First of all, who else would or could write a song like this? Totally original and unique. And very very catchy. I think this may be because it uses an every day phrase "what would xx have done" and the music fits that so perfectly. Then we have the remainder of the verses, cliché-free, and also rhyme-crime-free.

And then we have the message - each chorus resolves to give us a little nugget of help. No repetition, just flowing words each time, with a touch of humour and comfort. Having Joe tell us not what to think but what he would do prevents it being preachy. Can't really argue with that. Knowing that it's addressed to the writer's family members is not necessary, but adds another level of significance.

But this is music. All the above gems could be lost if not set into a necklace of percussion (worth a special listen). guitar (not dominating, just serving), organ (texturising and deservedly getting its own solo), backing vocals (never overdone), and a breakdown to keep our ears interested.

Only unique and well crafted things here - the antidote to wish.com. I'll listen again, a lot I think.

The Only Star by @Jamie
I'm not much of a prog rocker, but I do like what I like. Such as this one. I like emotions too - and this one is pretty palpably angry. It may be that pounding bass, the drum crashes, the penetrating guitars, the irate synths, the ascending melody and the general build up of tension that we get here. All of the above create a massive amount of excitement and sweep us along.

"In your lonely Universe you are the only Star" - it's a great song concept and title, and "delusional and hysterical" works so well to kick off the rhythmic chorus.

I can't leave without mentioning the time signature. I find it fascinating that on a casual listen the song drives along as it should and we can even nod along without the time signature hitting us in the face. Yet, subconsciously it's there and really adds to the building nervous tension. There's not many around the forum (or anywhere that I tend to be) doing this and Jamie does it so well.

The Man at the Gig by @Bill Saunders
From the outset this one has a special feel. The chimes, churchy keys, and waves of time really drew me in. It takes its time, plenty of story content here, and we already have a full picture what's happening.

What sets this one apart is not so much the oft-told story of life's regrets, doubts, and disappointments, but the character's destructive reaction to them. His "losing his internal fight" is tangible and there seems nothing anyone can do. We feel for sure he'll take the wrong decision (tonight at least) in pursuit of youth, perfection and fulfilment, and we're screaming at him to turn around and look at everything and everyone he's forsaking.

For anyone who's not 25 anymore and has some artistic leanings, this is clearly close to home, and so skilfully revealed. The lyrics don't let up for a moment and the production, vocal performance, and playing are top quality. (Bill I hope you - I mean your friend - did the right thing in the end!)

Black Station Wagon by @montydog

If there's one thing that's bound to drive a man too far, then it's the wife having fun on Monday, drinking on Tuesday, parading in the car on Wednesday, on the porch on Thursday, and going, well, all the way at the weekend, with some other guy.

In country songs (though we are in a much jazzier sort of Americana than that), very often it's the ladies who resort to crime to get justifiably rid of their abusive other halves, but here our hero's buttons are duly pushed and he may (or may not) have been sent over that edge.

Alan's lyrics are always descriptive and full of details but here we have a cocktail of humour and storytelling that creates a scene that I can see clearly before me. I love the way the protagonist doesn't want to admit to anything but can't stop himself from publicly celebrating his deed. The swinging band with walking bass and spacious guitar is a backdrop that really suits the rich narrative.

A song that sounds like a classic - it could be 1 or 70 years old. Funny and confident, Alan on top form.

I Won't Talk About It by @MonnoDB

From my choices this month, anyone would think I like songs that have stories. Or songs that punch you in the gut with the intensity of their emotion and the reality of their characters.

Here's a another one with a huge backstory implied, and which takes us right there to the living room. It's a raw and hopeless scene. We get the perspective of the main character but this reveals the helplessness of other party as well. I hear "never" but I am made to hope that this doesn't mean never.

Karen seems to handle these issues face on. She will write and sing about the "deadliest of flames" and make us understand what's meant, even if we've never imagined what it must be like to grapple with them.

The sparse and gentle production is perfect to communicate such an emotive story. It's sad, sincere, and complex. And I think this song transmits those things in such an engaging way, that I never want to judge, and definitely see something I couldn't have seen before.

Fave of Faves for July 2020

What a great month and having these five songs leave a mighty impact on me (not to mention others that didn't make this list) is a huge hit rate. But if I have to pick a Fave of Faves then it will have to be:

The Man at the Gig by @Bill Saunders

Many thanks to everyone and many apologies for dragging it out so long before putting finger to key!

Only one person's opinion of course, and you may have others. It was a true pleasure to revisit all these songs (and more) and I recommend the experience.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2020, 08:44:21 PM »
Top choices @adamfarr Hope to publish August's Faves in about 1 week's time  :)
So that'll give me 2 weeks to sort out September then to drag y'all back on track! :P

Great choices @adamfarr (at least now i have an idea for what I volunteered for - I raised my hand kinda blind as to what exactly we were meant to do! lolz )

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2020, 08:53:44 PM »
A solid bunch of songs there @adamfarr and I enjoyed your thoughtful commentary.

Really pleased to see this initiative getting back on track, so good luck with it for Aug and Sept,  @pompeyjazz and @Sterix.
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2020, 11:20:02 PM »
@adamfarr
Hi Adam, you’ve made a terrific effort to work through all the great songs posted in August and to make qualified selections. Not only that but your critique of each song is thoughtful and insightful. Well done!

Cheers
Jamie

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2020, 09:07:01 AM »
Thanks so much @adamfarr for including my song - I'm absolutely delighted to feature with such fine songs and your write ups are as always insightful and interesting. I listened to all of the songs last night after reading each of your reviews and it gives an interesting perspective. Thank you again... what a thrill..

It's a lovely initiative - although I kinda suck at reviews I'll be happy to volunteer for this one down the line after PJ and Strerix..

Karen.

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2020, 10:19:23 AM »
Good list Adam, loving the commentary!
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA
Instagram @echodogsofficial

Kafla

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2020, 10:44:25 AM »
Great unselfish work @adamfarr  :) brilliantly detailed summaries

Will listen to them all - already made it to @PaulAds track - class  :D

5 guys named Lars

• Solo Gig
    • 5 Guys Named Lars- Soundcloud
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2020, 12:27:13 PM »
Great selection of songs @adamfarr . They`ve all got something about them. Nice choice. :)

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2020, 08:40:49 AM »
thanks everyone - I always think this is a good advert for the forum - maybe in addition to the monthly playlist we could do a cumulative playlist adding them on as we go?

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2020, 01:14:06 PM »
you did a lot o work here@adamfarr

The songs that you have liked so much I have also liked however I think there are more wonderful and incredible songs in the forum that you do not name but anyway a very good choice!  Bravo!!

Stay safe
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2020, 04:24:36 PM »
Nice choices.

Good work by all and a top job by you Adam. Engaging reviews. You're a star.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2020, 08:11:24 AM »
Hi @Boydie please can we sticky this one too?
Many thanks! (I tried to DM you but it may not have sent properly)

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2020, 09:09:07 AM »
@adamfarr Done  ;D
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic