What Would You Like To See on the Forum ?

• 57 Replies

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« on: September 27, 2020, 09:05:26 AM »
Just canvassing opinion really, but what would you like to see on the forum ? Are there any initiatives that would encourage you to use the forum more ? Challenges / competitions ? Is there any mileage in a musicians resource area where we pool our resources to help out songwriters who are just starting out ?

I appreciate that everyone has real life to live with and some folks just like to pop in now and again but if there is anything that I could do to encourage more contributions, I'd love to know  :)

Happy Sunday all  :) :)

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 01:11:05 PM »
I’ve got a great idea called ‘Forum Faves’ ....oh wait...

Anyhow, that aside, it’s fair to say that the active user base of this site is very small. It’s more like a songwriting club in a local bar in a single town than a UK and worldwide forum, even though due to the magic of the internet we can come together from everywhere.

So I think if the forum members wanted to do more then they probably would. I don’t think you can force people to be more proactive. Look what a slog it was to keep SOTM going...and some initiatives don’t gain much traction.

But a few challenges every now and again keep a few of the core members happy. The Bond album has been participated in by a few, organised by  @PaulyX - as has Bin’s backing track idea, started by @kafla. If someone comes up with the right challenge even more come out of the woodwork to have some fun...eg The Alien Genre Challenge earlier in the year.

I’d personally like a bit more going on, but I think you are right @pompeyjazz , quite a lot of members just like popping in now and again. Nothing wrong with that, just like it would be if we were a small bar in town where songwriters had a regular night. Some would be there every week. Others every blue moon.

I think I’ve come to accept this place as it is. Sometimes busy, sometimes quiet. Occasionally a flurry of stuff occurs, then people seem to drift off again. Other things to do. Yep, it is what it is.
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2020, 03:22:31 PM »
I pretty much agree with @MichaelA -- it's hard to get people to do stuff. It didn't used to be. I remember...but going back in history won't help. There are too many distractions these days--and too many people, for some reason, feel like they have to be running their heads off or they have no value. Or something like that. Look at the people who get praised in the workplace (at least in my experience). Those who "go the extra mile" or go "above and beyond". No one ever gets praised for making sure they keep balance in their life. So where's the motivation for a balanced, healthy lifestyle (including an active relationship with music)?

But that's a pet peeve of mine and I need to avoid going off on a rant about it because I've discovered it doesn't help.

I have noticed the periodic challenges get the most action. Maybe it's because they don't happen as often as every month? Maybe it's the challenge aspect? I wonder what would happen if we had a challenge every month? Like, identify a challenge theme and define rules, say October 1, and set a deadline of, say, November 1. While developing and announcing another challenge on November 1, etc. Or give it two months for the deadline, but go ahead and have a new one every month (yes, I know, we'd always be working on two challenges at the same time--we do that in Minnesota from time to time and it seems to work okay...and no one needs to DO both). Or have only one every two months....

I've been in a few other songwriting forums, and most of them have almost no activity whatsoever. Compared to them, this one is very active. I think it's because it's so big. You need a lot of mass to generate a consistent amount of participation. Or a [small] solid core of active users.

Kafla

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2020, 06:19:31 PM »
I’d like more focused competitions...

We used to have a great annual Christmas one...Halloween is always good as well...would be nice to be more specific as well...like a dark nursery rhyme Christmas song , serial killer Halloween etc

Team writing would be fun as well and now we have zoom why not - I know some will not like this idea , but why not team up and try and write a modern hit...pitch it for success...

I’d like to know more about how people write...maybe hear some initial demos...I have 748 on my phone voice recorder😉

Oh and what about a private area for regulars...I can see pros and cons in this so it’s just a thought!

Happy Sunday everyone 😍
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 09:27:50 PM by kafla »

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2020, 07:56:39 PM »
Oh, thanks @kafla ! I didn't think to mention team writing. I love team writing. We could have a theme challenge. People sign up and choose their co-writer...OR...spin that wheel and get assigned a co-writer at random. I've been assigned a co-writer a couple of times in the Minnesota songwriters organization, and I ended up with something I never would have done on my own at all.

Kafla

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2020, 08:05:57 PM »
Yes @CaliaMoko 😊

And I bet it gave you an insight into how they write / work 👍

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2020, 09:00:21 PM »
Hey @pompeyjazz ...

I'm not one for competitions I must say although never say never.. It does seem to generate excitement on the forum so I think it make sense to continue with that trend..

I do love reading about how people approach their songwriting - that would be of interest to me.. I think I remember reading once a suggestion that the SOTM winner post their process when writing the winning song so if Forum Faves or SOTM does stick  (which I would support - I like the idea of the regular postings getting picked up like that) and/or for the competition winners, I would be really interested in the winner posting such a write up..

Otherwise, yes the traffic ebbs and flows and the core posting group is relatively small.. But they are supportive and offer advice and feedback... and for that I really love this site.

Karen.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2020, 09:55:35 PM »
@MonnoDB - K your post read like lyrics, really lovely

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2020, 10:59:51 PM »
Thanks for starting the thread @pompeyjazz

I am following with interest

3 things immediately jump out...

@kafla - I have often thought of a private member’s section. I like the idea of a place where we talk a bit more freely. I even toyed with a “subscription” where members would get added benefits (perhaps linking with a pitching service?) to help support the development and running of the forum. I certainly have no plans but it is possible to implement following the forum upgrade.

As many know I am not a big fan of the competitions so would support a different approach such as collabs, team writing and the more “fun” comps with a specific theme such as Christmas, Halloween etc.

One idea that springs to mind reading this thread - it might be a good idea to do a monthly “profile” on a member. We could develop a set list of questions and then once a month we allow one member to post a short bio and answer the questions

I think we could come up with a cracking list of interesting questions and it would great to see different response to the same questions and put someone in the spotlight for a month
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2020, 11:21:10 PM »
I actually really don't like the idea of a members' section. We all become members in effect by our posting patterns. If we review more, we tend to get reviewed more. We're all very aware of who contributes more/less and tend to review appropriately - at least that's how I approach it... I review (in fits and starts) as many of the songs I can but if tight for time, I tend to pass over (initially at least) posters who don't review as far as I can see

In my mind, the aim would be to have MORE regular posters ... by a) leaving it open access and b) members, when welcoming newbies, pointing to the posting etiquette and rules ..

I wouldn't support putting barriers in place to expanding the participation by having an elite / smaller crew of active posters..

Just my very humble opinion...

K

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2020, 12:17:27 AM »
I completely agree @MonnoDB

This is why I always come to the conclusion to not implement a separate area

The main forums will ALWAYS be public and not behind any barriers

If it were ever implements a "members only" area would need to contain "something special" - I have just never thought of what that could be!!
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2020, 12:30:44 AM »
I like the idea of a monthly member profile, though I'd maybe throw in a few chosen-member-specific questions where appropriate.

Competitions-wise, I like the ones that aren't really "competitions" per se, but that get a number of people involved in one way or another.

SOTM has perhaps had its time, though having something that still showcases people's efforts each month offers a little sense of achievement/massages the ego (plus I just don't have the time to listen to everybody's songs and can often miss some pretty good ones so having something that says "these songs last month were pretty damn good" helps alleviate that somewhat).

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2020, 09:49:06 AM »
This is songwriting forum in which the vast majority don't participate, so I think any new ideas will only be jumped on by the core members who keep this forum going, not that I'm against new ideas :) just can't think of any that would encourage the peeps who are members in name only to actually involve themselves in the forum.. ;D
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

jacksimmons

• Solo Gig
    • Jack Simmons Music Facebook Page
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2020, 10:28:58 AM »
Speaking as a semi-regular whose participation ebs and flows, my main reason for being active in fits and starts is because my songwriting/music process also happens in that way. I have a couple of hobbies and how interested I am in each at any given time seems to be dictated by some higher power other than myself. When I am interested in writing, for instance, my activity here sort of drops off.

I think this forum is fantastic, and I would say it works perfectly as-is. In my experience the best forums have always been those with a core stable, committed user base like you guys.

Having said that, I think a really good way of building community on forums is to have an active chatroom. The few forums I have been a part of really thrived that way. 
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jack-simmons-1/albums
Bandcamp: https://jacksimmonsmusic.bandcamp.com/

"When I play a dope melody, anything less than the best is a felony." - Robert Matthew Van Winkle