Be With You

• 20 Replies

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« on: September 23, 2020, 08:28:29 PM »
Hi All...

This is not a sad song ( :o ;D).. I thought I should just mention that as it's a little unusual for me.. Edit - although I do acknowledge it is dark, a dark love song so to speak :)

I've been mucking around with this for ever it seems... And it's had lots of different arrangements but finally here I am... As ever I've bent the ear of that young Swedish fella @Jambrains whose patience I test on a regular basis.. so my thanks to him as ever..

As always by the time I post, I know I've still got tweaking to do but if I don't release, I'll be tweaking until my ears fall off.

And yes, the outro is long, very long but I've decided not to conform on this occasion.. For those of you who find it interminable, I did spare you the (almost as) long piano intro.. now deleted..

All comments / advice etc etc wholly welcome..

Karen

I'd go anywhere in the world for you
I'd abandon best laid plans for you
Maybe do the things I thought I couldn't do
To be with you

I'm like putty in your hands
I relish your demands
And welcome every feeling you invite
I'm enthralled and I'm transfixed
Love never felt like this
So maybe this time we got it right

To be with you

I told you once in a flash of truth
I love the bones of you
With such intensity it almost hurts
And I still feel the same
I'm like a moth to your flame
And I don't care if I burn

To be with you

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 08:39:09 PM »
This is another piece of the highest quality Karen. A beautiful love song. The intro is haunting, almost medieval sounding with the harmonies that you use. The build is quite exquisite and the introduction of the bass and guitar is just perfect. Oh, and the outro worked for me as well. Top, top song  :)

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 09:36:25 PM »
Good evening @MonnoDB

Beautiful from the beginning.  I'd say that's love, sacrificing everything for someone that you love. Excellent piano break. Such a beautiful soundscape for a beautiful cause!

Paul

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 11:40:36 PM »
You are a dark soul alright Karen, as even in the ‘not a sad song’ pre-billing even I wasn’t expecting such a musically moody and deep offering as this. Well for a start, even though it is at the end, I loved the piano outro. I imagined it as the end of a sad TV drama where the camera pans back to review a scene of tragedy from an aerial distance. It would definitely work like that!

It’s relatively bare bones too, but I was wondering what a choral like synth pad would sound like on that chorus, and that outro could definitely be layered to a crescendo as an alternative. Not that what you have done isn’t beautiful. It’s just that I was thinking that the track has a restrained yet powerful inner tension to it, and in some ways I wanted it just to finally explode.

But that’s just me, ha! It’s a fabulously well measured piece, super just as is. I really liked those different but very dramatic harmonies. And the uneasy feeling that although I’d like a woman to love me like this, well she could be a bit too much to handle in an obsessive kind of way. The love affirming lyrics clash with the dark accompaniment. Well if you meant all that, you are just a genius. I’m giving up this music thing right now!  ;)
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 09:52:57 AM »
Wow it seems a week for raw-heart-opening on the forum. I'd find it difficult to put these feelings into words and express them with such honesty. You always transmit the art of your songs in a special way.

I found the almost religious setting unsettling at times (perhaps sensing some of the danger suggested by MichaelA). The bones, burning and demands lend a little ambiguity and support to that idea. Powerful flavours indeed.

Two very banal suggestions: the first lines of the verses (putty in your hands, flash of truth) get a little lost and could do with some automation to bring them up; and the piano outro is not loo long at all but I felt didn't quite match the feeling of the main section - perhaps using a more similar reverb could help the two gel together more?

This one has everything, it's a top quality piece.   

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2020, 01:53:43 PM »
You keep excelling Karen!  I loved most of it and i really liked the piano outro, but then I'm a sucker for a great piano piece )I should really learn to play one!).

For me I didn't like the intro as much, having a stripped back chorus didn't really give me the feel of what was to come. However when the verse started I was hooked.  I also really liked the second verse when the guitar and bass are involved.  Great stuff Karen!
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA
Instagram @echodogsofficial

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2020, 04:31:27 PM »
Maybe not a sad song, as you say, but the protagonist doesn't seem to have a healthy sense of self-worth. That attitude is common in love songs, so definitely not out of line and this is actually a new (to me, anyway) and creative way to present the theme. The whole thing is gorgeous, definitely. I find the minor key interesting in what appears to be a happy love song. Could it be insinuating shades of negativity for the way the protagonist is willing to basically erase herself in favor of her love?

I really like the development of the music. Starting light and getting thicker and richer as it goes. Really draws me in. I always like piano, so I enjoyed the ending.

Kafla

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2020, 08:58:21 AM »
A whole chorus of Karen’s - ahhhhhh nice 😍

Very Celtic folk which I love. The harmonies are bold and brave. I am sure there are obvious comments about who you sound like but I am big sucker for natural accents coming through 👏🏻

I love the harmonies in the chorus - it’s almost like a chant - or a spell to bewitch your lover. I can imagine singing this at mass after too much of the priests wine 🤪🍷 As I say some excellent vocal work which blends in nicely.

I’ve made up my mind I don’t just like this , I love it! How do people come up with this stuff in their houses lol. And I love the outro - I could have listened to more of that this morning . What a gorgeous song 👍🏻

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2020, 09:43:59 AM »
lovely
I'm a sucker for the accent
but this is good besides all that
nice piano
so much work went into those vocal harmonies (at least it would be work for me)
well Done!!
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

Unclenny

• Solo Gig
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2020, 06:40:12 PM »
Love the acapella intro and the sound of that piano. Seriously good vocals throughout, @MonnoDB

The song really takes on its character, though, when the bass and guitar come in. Might sound cool to have a long timed delay at the end of some of those guitar parts to echo them along.

I think that the long piano outro is critical to how the song lands with the listener (at least to this listener) as that piano is an extension of your vocals in a way and the way you play it out seals the deal on the emotional impact of the song.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?band

5 guys named Lars

• Solo Gig
    • 5 Guys Named Lars- Soundcloud
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2020, 07:25:43 AM »
Very nice song this Karen. I agree that it sounds almost medieval with the gorgeous choral harmonies. Spooky weirdness in a good way. I like the piano/bass outro..not too long at all & as you say essential to the song. Lovely stuff.

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2020, 10:45:11 AM »
Lovely song, great vocals and harmonies. It certainly has a Celtic feel ( which I like) and I love the piano towards the end.

This would be excellent as a backing track on a Netflix original!

Well done, Kevin

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2020, 12:34:10 PM »
Your song has captivated me, it is simple but deep, the minimalist arrangement fits perfectly with the melody and the style that you wanted to give it. the use of the voice with chorus envelops the song in an aura of mysticism that I love, no, or your song is sad, it is a total surrender to love @MonnoDB

Big kiss for you!!!

Mora
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

Grubstar

• Open Mic
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2020, 04:10:32 PM »
A really, really fabulous song and arrangement with outstanding vocals and Irish folk style harmonies in the chorus.I loved the lyrics and thought the Piano outro was 1st class, no need to tweak or change anything.Very original, great track.

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2020, 04:24:09 PM »
@MonnoDB
Hi Karen, a delightful arrangement with lovely celtic feel to it.Love the instrumentation and the harmonies are lovely. Sometimes less is more, and that's definitely the case here.

Great song!

Cheers

Jamie