The Death of Melody

• 10 Replies

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« on: September 22, 2020, 09:26:48 AM »
"It's not cool to write a good melody anymore... perhaps these songs are successful because they have very little melody..."

What's most important? (Lyrics are not mentioned ever in the whole discussion)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 10:38:52 AM by adamfarr »

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 10:13:43 AM »
great find @adamfarr,

Such a well written presentation.  The author doesn't say anything new, he simply confirms what sadly many of us have noticed over the years and highlights that more so than ever, melody no longer has the same importance to many music consumers and writers.  Melody has always been and will continue to be for me, the greatest challenge for any writer!

Paul

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2020, 06:01:03 PM »
it's simple, there's no melody cause they can't write one... 8)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Kafla

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 06:17:50 PM »
I read recently that Elton John said that artists don’t even write songs anymore...

Just a team of writers writing soundbites to an algorithm 😞

If anyone fancies new music recommendation I would urge you to check out “the war on drugs” particularly “a deeper understanding” ( Springstein , Dylan , Pink Floyd )and Michael Kiwanuka - his new album is unreal ( Hendrix , Bill Withers , Otis Redding) 😎👍

MrBouzouki

• Busker
  • "Love and Life is all about connections"

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2020, 08:53:21 AM »
Doesn't make me sad at all, the songs on this forum are superb, just read the reviews...

Some songs here are in my view way better than those commercially available, I've always maintained that just because they are on the radio that they are any good, melody wise.

Here's a few examples of really brilliant melody lines, right here.

Holly Golightly - @5 guys named Lars
I'm your man - @Sebandme
The Impossible Staircase - @pompeyjazz @PaulyX @Binladeda

So much of commercial radio is created around a well worn formula, with always one eye on the 2nd tier of revenue stream - Merch, and oftentimes (I had to use it to keep in the mode) it's production hooks that are the things that enhance the melody, for example love don't live here any more - syndrums, Do you believe in love - Vocoder, living on a prayer - Talk box.

A famous film score writer was once asked what his favourite song was, he didn't wait, it was 'If it's magic' by Stevie Wonder, from Songs in the key of life, he said he loved the melody, but also the courage of releasing an a Capella with only a harp accompaniment, so by default the melody must be very strong.

5 guys named Lars

• Solo Gig
    • 5 Guys Named Lars- Soundcloud
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2020, 07:04:37 AM »
Blimey @cowparsleyman , have you stopped taking your medication again ?  :)
Thanks for the compliment and while I obviously don`t take as many mind altering drugs as you do, I share your optimism that there are many great melodic songs still being written. The fact that they`re not in vogue at the moment is another point altogether ..an emphasis on beat & production, 4 chords (at the most) & no middle 8`s led to less melody & writing "committees" under pressure to write "hits" follow the same path so this trend has probably lasted longer than most. The majority of popular songs are ones you can dance to & you couldn`t dance to Holly Golightly even if you had 8 legs. But there are a lot of superb melodies out there even if they`re not in the mainstream.
Melody isn`t dead..its just playing harder to get.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2020, 09:36:31 AM »
@5 guys named Lars - Loads of songs you can't dance to...ever tried dancing to Bohemian Rhapsody, or Candle in the Wind...

I heard so much rubbish on the radio, I don't listen anymore, I make my own music, or help others to realise their dreams...

R

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2020, 11:58:03 AM »
Interesting video and interesting chat. Unsurprisingly, I disagree with the whole premise of 'the death of melody' and think it smacks more than just a little of music snobbery. There's an underlying premise to the entire discussion that writing one note melodies are easy or else of lesser musical value. On the first count, if anyone here has ever tried writing a one note vocal melody that is catchy and interesting and that works within the parameters of a whole song production they'll know that t is far from 'easy'. Secondly, is there not a case that using one, two, three note ranges is really a case of doing more with less? Which demands more talent; writing a catchy, fresh and interesting song  using 5/6 notes throughout the entire endeavour or doing the same using 2 or three times as many notes?
I unashamedly try to write vocal toplines that span only a few notes. Does that make me any less of a 'songwriter' than others who write toplines spanning an octave and a half/ two octaves? It may make me 'different' but I'm not sure that automatically means 'less'....

5 guys named Lars

• Solo Gig
    • 5 Guys Named Lars- Soundcloud
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2020, 11:23:27 AM »
@Sing4me88  Good point, well made. One style is not "better" than the other & one mans carrot is another mans fish.