Unpicking a Classical Guitar piece

• 20 Replies

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« on: September 21, 2020, 09:06:24 AM »
Just a thought really, a topic that might crop up in a musicians bar...

All of us have tried sussing out a rock solo by ear, although nowadays there are numerous Vids and tabs sites where you can find Bo Rap, or Money for nothing and all those wonderful riffs, even things that are impossible to play like John McLaughlin and Guthrie Govan...

However Classical Guitar is a funny old world, and somewhat different,  the tunes are usually very very old and hence well scored over the years.

Most players put their own stamp on a piece, Li Jie (that bird with a red curtain, I posted earlier) plays a fantastic version, very similar to Segovia's version, but here's the thing, it's just not available as a score and very difficult to unravel , especially the contrapuntal parts near the end. Well last night I sat down and tried to unravel it once and for all, and by golly, I managed it.

So now I am free from the chains that bound me (as Burt Bacharach once said), probably another year and I'll be able to play it. I'll do a vid once I've done it and I bet no one can hear the difference.

To me this piece is the equivalent of Bowie hearing Stevie Ray Vaughn at the Montreux jazz festival, he wanted him on his next album, which turned out to be Lets Dance...When Clapton heard the Lets Dance Solo, he said " I want to know who's playing that solo, now, not tomorrow, NOW"

Li Jie, what a girl. I wonder what else whe would excel at, people like her tend never to find out if she is a great painter, or wood carver or ski jumper

« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 10:16:37 AM by cowparsleyman »

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 01:05:56 PM »
...update...Just found the bird with a curtain's teacher, giving her a lesson...in chinese...Ok so I'm a bit rusty...but she actually plays it slower - Hurrah, I stand a chnace...infact I've sussed out the other contrapuntal bit after the wicker contrapuntal bit...so I'm on the right track...oi bird, let me get a word in edgeways here...starts about 4:20 something

This is really gold dust for me

Hope you find something relevant for youselves.

Rich

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2020, 04:09:15 PM »
It always amazes me when someone can just pick up from where they left off and keep going. With printed music I can do that, but not from memory. Usually, I have to start over if I stop.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2020, 05:00:33 PM »
Just isn't the same without the curtain  ;)

Red's my favourite colour too :P

Perhaps bizarrely, the guitar tone reminded me of this...

She's some player, though...reminds me of a little acoustic I borrowed in a studio one time...I thought it sounded small and boxy with no resonance at all...but the engineer said to use it and it sounded brilliant in the demo we did.

So many of these folks look like their lives depend on getting it right...which isn't beyond the realms of possibility  :(
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2020, 05:13:35 PM »
It always amazes me when someone can just pick up from where they left off and keep going. With printed music I can do that, but not from memory. Usually, I have to start over if I stop.

If they’ve played to that level long enough one can pick up from anywhere.... both from the sheets and memory both

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2020, 05:17:27 PM »
Just isn't the same without the curtain  ;)

Red's my favourite colour too :P

Perhaps bizarrely, the guitar tone reminded me of this...

She's some player, though...reminds me of a little acoustic I borrowed in a studio one time...I thought it sounded small and boxy with no resonance at all...but the engineer said to use it and it sounded brilliant in the demo we did.

So many of these folks look like their lives depend on getting it right...which isn't beyond the realms of possibility  :(

Yeah, it’s not the same without a curtain @PaulAds , i have to used an old blackout ... she does look like she has a threat of a firing squad if she makes a mistake...

He aint going to win any prizes for his haircut or alternative usenof an old vauxhall viva radio aerial
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 07:59:20 PM by cowparsleyman »

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2020, 07:47:42 PM »
@PaulAds - spot on with the Trumpton guitar sound...can you play it? Maybe a punk version on yer ricky...

Now THERES a forum challenge, genre jumping of Trumpton...
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 07:49:51 PM by cowparsleyman »

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2020, 08:50:13 AM »
I was noodling about with it last night @cowparsleyman

I'd have to do it with two tracks...but I quite fancy trying that for a giggle some time over the weekend.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2020, 08:56:11 AM »
@PaulAds - Can't wait to hear it, what curtain will you wear?

I was never sure if it was a vituoso piece, I'll scan the web to see if I can get the dots, I could ask Li Jie to learn it.

One way to suss if it's possible to play it is to pick a low note and a high note played together, and if both of them are fretted, and it's impossible to play those two notes together, then its a 2 take song, unless you have a rather special birth defect, that allows you to reach 11 frets with your left hand, but then you might be in demand by other professions...
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 09:19:39 AM by cowparsleyman »

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2020, 11:42:49 AM »
oh dear...I did a quick indie-type electric version this morning...didn't manage any video of it...and I disappointed myself in quite how ham-fisted I have become...but here it is, Rich @cowparsleyman I did two tracks for the lead and picked part and a rhythm guitar in the background plus a quick bass track plus some drums. Not sure I even got the notes right...I did it from what I remember listening to last night...

I'll likely only leave it up for a day or two...better that way  :-[

It was a bit of fun and filled in an hour or so...

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2020, 12:39:02 PM »
@PaulAds - sounds good, just want Lemmy screaming pew hugh barney etc with his doenward facing sm57

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2020, 12:58:00 PM »
When I finally suss the li jie 1007 I’ll write it out and post it here..

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2020, 10:48:53 PM »
Made a bit of progress on hard bit, funnily enough its the bit a little later on I thought that wasn’t hard is actually a right mystery, it seems almost impossible...

[/youtube]

Just taking it slowly and practise it everyday...
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 08:10:02 AM by cowparsleyman »

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2020, 12:22:35 PM »
Sounding great @cowparsleyman

I do love the sound of a nylon strung guitar

I almost got one of those Godin nylon strungs years and years ago - but they just didn’t have that satisfying sound
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2020, 12:34:29 PM »
@Boydie - thanks man, this is my dead cheap practice classical guitar (raimundo)  completely hammered, fretboard chewed up, i replaced the strings last week, sounds evening better, it plays nicely to.

Look at Burguet, they offer superb value for money