Comfort is a Drug

• 12 Replies

CharlieSmith

• Busker
« on: September 20, 2020, 09:14:24 PM »
Comfort is a drug : https://soundcloud.com/user-6942031/comfort-is-a-drug?in=user-6942031/sets/i-hate-it-i-own-it

Also available on streaming sites e.g Spotitfy , deezer etc

Like a lion you sleep all day
Like a lair you don't play straight
You need to improve your not at your best
Please don't be mad I meant no offense

Had too much, not enough, to see you through

Like a disease you kill your host 
When someone needs you run away
Take your time I will wait
You need to be something its making me sick

Had too much, not enough, to see you through

Instrumental to end

What to say about this song ? I think really its best song on the EP. No wonder I put it first. Maybe I should of named the EP after this track instead. My hopes are this song it to really give me another song to play acoustically. This song defiantly suits that and if I get the chance to do any acoustic sets while we are still struggling with covid then this will be on it.

I really hope this song bosts my EP up. I think the other songs on it really are going to abit hit and miss. Some early feedback on the whole is that  maybe some people do like it. But I think if people don't really like the EP they would at least listen to this song.

This song really came naturally the lyrics where just so easy to write (Thankfully). It was no struggle or pain. I think the mix is defiantly better than the last song I posted here. I would say where its not vocally changeling song I really like how my voice is. It almost like slightly mess up at the end of every-line but it kinda works. I recorded an acoustic version for my facebook page that has the 'correct' singing. So yeah its yeah in away a weird recording.

Just listening will be enough, let me know what you ya think ! 

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2020, 10:10:13 PM »
I’ll take a defiant listen tomorrow...looking forward to it, and the changeling vocals.

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2020, 10:21:55 PM »
Well, it sounds soooo much like a Nirvana song, both chord wise and vocal tune and I’m not sure if that’s good or bad to be honest. 

It’s a decent tune though!
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA
Instagram @echodogsofficial

CharlieSmith

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 03:24:06 PM »
@PeteS I'm really not sure to be honest. In alot of way yes but kind of not. I tried not to force it or think about it too much. Its honestly pretty depressing and some of these review. Because I get these two types of reviews.

1. Wow sounds alot like nirvana. Love it.

2.Sound like nirvana. I hate it.

It's weird because I do agree, can't say I don't. But it doesn't specifically sound like any of there songs that I'm aware of. So its not a rip of like that but maybe its not original enough. Maybe its wasted potential. But I'm not sure what to do.

If anything I would say bob dylan because I just go tone over everything and not go shouty that nirvanna had done.

I honestly feel sick about the whole thing because where can you go from this.

You can't go shouty ! done
Can't go quite ! done
Can't use your normal voice ! done

I can't do high pitch or falsetto

Maybe alot singers/bands sound like them now because after all they are one of the biggest bands of all time.

CharlieSmith

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 03:25:11 PM »
@cowparsleyman Sorry if didn't write it so well I meant is not challenging. Just pretty bland and crappy

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 03:31:17 PM »
@CharlieSmith - It's fine Charlie, sorry if I offended you. No offence was meant, I just loved that word in a review 'Changeling' great stuff.. You are right about reviews Charlie, music is a very personal thing, remember those LP's that your best mate said were great, and then you borrowed them and thought they were awful? Well, that's part of the issue here, what is great for Mr A is awful for Mr B, so be careful what you change...If you have one reviewer that says the bass is too loud, then another that says the drums are too loud, then another that says the gtrs are too loud, then what do you do?

all the best

R

CharlieSmith

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2020, 04:12:08 PM »
@cowparsleyman None take, not your fault its mine. Its though, I can take critic of course. But I don't know I can shake this feeling now. That its just too samey. I'm not going to lie in alot of ways it is. Its just a never ending quest for originality. I just a sad shame. I think the best artists can just be themselfs and everyone loves it. They have the style and know what they are it comes naturally. When I try this is what happens.

I wish it was just practical things like that then it would be fixable and debatable. Your style/ you. You can never really change that.

I guess reality is I just want to make one original good thing before I die. Not something avangrade or experimental. Just something solid. Something that people are like he made that and that was a thing.     

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2020, 04:18:21 PM »
@CharlieSmith - man, believe in yourself, if you think it's good then it is, don't be a follower, be someone to follow, I dig your soundcloud site, so I'll take a listen when I can.

"Put your foot down with a firm hand" as my late Father used to say.

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2020, 08:39:11 PM »
Hey @CharlieSmith look, it’s a good song, we love Nirvana in our house and we think this is great, however, you are probably showing your influences a little too obviously.   I have two main guitarists that influence what I do very heavily but as yet, despite all the comparisons that people make on my songs, no one has mentioned either. 

I went through your soundcloud, you really produce some great songs, you just need to own them!

Stick around here long enough and there’s a lot of help but keep producing songs and develop the overall style you like and screw everyone else.

On the subject of reviews, there are a lot that just like the songs (hopefully because they are pretty good!) but I actually like the ones that give criticism of suggestions more, that’s how I learn to be a better songwriter. 

Keep at it.

Pete
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA
Instagram @echodogsofficial

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2020, 09:11:33 PM »
@CharlieSmith,

There is very little that is original in music.  I'd go as far as to say that what we think is cutting edge and original, is heavily influenced by the producers and session players who work with bands.  What chance do hobby writers  (though often quite serious writers like ourselves) have when oftentimes, we write and play every note in the productions that we present. Everyone is influenced by artists that they admire and went before them. When I present music, it suffers from this same scenario and that goes for most or all of the posters on this forum.  When I played in a band, 4 people or even 7 people brought their influences to the table, occasionally creating something a little more original.  It's more important that you write from the heart and enjoy doing what you do. . No one feels or expresses themselves exactly as you do. In that sense, you're bound to bring something original to the party.

Welcome my friend.

Paul
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 09:17:32 PM by Wicked Deeds »

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2020, 07:54:57 AM »
Very interesting lyrics - I really like the "lion" and the "disease" images.

It's a cool song. I think it could be presented a little differently - even if you stick with it being unplugged, a second harmony vocal (or even just some aaahs in the chorus) would give it a nice variation and lift. Probably with some bass and drums it could be a really explosive song but maybe you don't want to go there or don't have those things easily to hand.

Definitely you shouldn't doubt yourself - everything is well done here and I reckon there is potential for even more. As PeteS says, this is a great forum for developing whatever angle you want to.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2020, 09:52:55 AM »
@CharlieSmith

Finally got time to listen to this, love it, in particular how your voice sounds. It's hard not to hear the obvious production approach, which would in itself be an interesting challenge.

Cool dude.

CharlieSmith

• Busker
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2020, 06:54:49 PM »
Thank you all so much your comment are fair and honest. I guess if your happy making it then it doesn't matter all all. The whole Ep was written pretty quickly and I didn't think to much about it. Haven't really been on this site for awhile because I've been working on some stuff and this.

If I do ever play this song with a band I'm defiantly going to add abit more to it a really solid bass riff would improve this track alot and also I've been thinking about the drums. I think I've got a solid beat in my head.

I'll keep on posting stuff here and keep listening to your stuff also. Thanks so much for the comments. They really great, I had a bad weeek we all have them where we doubt our self's. But I think its how we improve that counts.