konalavadome

Lawns Park Days

• 16 Replies

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« on: September 18, 2020, 03:09:48 PM »
Hi guys,

Time for a new one from us, a story from Neil's childhood in Swindon.  I know, I can hear you all saying who in their right mind writes a song about Swindon!  Well this was a happy time for Neil and Lawns Park was at the centre of a lot they did.

Musically, I think it reflects how I like my music - loads of guitars, a decent bass line and a singalong chorus.  I hope you like it!

Fields of green down scary narrow lanes
Tales of youth when freedom reigned 
Home for tea after playing games
This was our time our childhood domain

To Sandown stones that seemed so very high
Corby Avenue home and dry 
Cubs and chess and camping days
No cares at all just waifs and strays 

Take me back to Lawns Park days
Playing football in the summers rays
Climbing rocks and skateboard days
Take me back to Lawns Park days!

A sense of innocence and carefree haze
Making dens in long lost days

Lakeside woods running through the fallen leaves 
Three of us so thick as thieves
Riding bikes and live for today
No thoughts of future is how we played

Playing football in the summers rays
Climbing rocks and skateboard days

A sense of innocence and carefree haze
Making dens in long lost days
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA
Instagram @echodogsofficial

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2020, 04:09:53 PM »
I like the way you use major and minor keys to contrast the past and the present. The setting is energetic and catchy. I like it.

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2020, 04:34:40 PM »
Hi, nice chord progression, and guitars sounding nice. A bit nostalgic in the style of Ray Davies of the Kinks. Nice one!

Cheers
Jamie

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2020, 08:36:15 AM »
@PeteS - nice tune...listening on earbuds..super pop song, nice prod, airy gtrs, ooh nice tight finish..rare these days.

You’re a really good team.

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2020, 11:04:57 AM »
Very infectious retro power pop tune, reminded me a bit of The Members in the late 70s ...and almost as a precursor to Blur. The enthusiasm for Swindon is unique,  ;) but yeah quite joyous, with a very catchy chorus and imaginative supporting vocals too.

The only thing I didn’t like was the (over) use of ‘days’ again at the end of the third chorus line. There’s lots of other rhymes you could have chosen to keep the inventiveness going.

But tiny point against a song that’s just brought a big smile to my face.
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2020, 11:17:08 AM »
@PeteS,

Really cool musical intro.  There seems to be a blanket of reverb wrapped around the musical track that is not evident on the vocal.  I'd ease of on this for greater impact as it robs the track of bite that is certainly there beneath the reverb.  It's a beautiful rocker for sure.  A fine song that has real diction. Love the guitar riff that pervades throughout the song.

Paul

Kafla

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2020, 01:49:03 PM »
It’s a totally awesome transition to the chorus...love that...great build , great bass and guitars.

Guitars sound better second time round in the verses.

Middle 8 ahhhhhh...so nice...and then the break down 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Magic songwriting and performance 😍

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2020, 01:53:17 PM »
Hi,

This is excellent. Strong songwriting and clear, well written lyrics. Love the electric guitar sound and the post punk feel. This brought back a lot of childhood memories for me. You've arranged it very well so interest never wanes. It's a great melody and I love the harmony backing vocal. Perfect pop music.
M

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2020, 02:04:49 PM »
Really enjoyed this @PeteS Great guitars and lots of em - Swindon eh ? Now there's a place. I used to work down there regularly and could never work out how to get out of the damn place with all those magic roundabouts. Back to the music, it's nice and tight. Reminds me a lots of some of the post punk stuff, bags of attitude and nice dropout section. If anything I would liked to have heard even more guitars thrown at it to get that big wall of sound. Excellent stuff guys  :)

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2020, 09:36:20 AM »
Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated!

@CaliaMoko Glad you liked it, the major and minor was not deliberate at the outset but came out that way!

@Jamie We'll take a Ray Davies comparison any day.  Thanks!

@cowparsleyman Thanks Rich, but don't go giving Neil too much credit!  ;D ;D

@MichaelA Power Pop is probably a good description, I loved a lot of that back in the day so definitely one of my influences, not that I'd thought about it tbh.  Appreciate the compliments especially on the BVs, it's something I've been playing with on a couple of songs, trying to do something slightly different than just doubling or third above stuff.  I've chastised Neil, the lyricist, on his sloppy rhyming  ;D ;D

@Wicked Deeds Thanks Paul.  The main guitar on the intro has a tiny amount of reverb but I have layered a second track behind it at much lower volume and added a tape delay so. think that's what you are hearing.  When the next 2 guitar parts come in, they are the same sound as the first but without the delay layer.  I wanted to give it the airy jangle sound that Rich mentioned so there are 4 different guitar parts then duplicated and panned so it's what I wanted but I will have a play with it to see how different levels sound especially on the delay.  Thanks for the comment!

@kafla I don't know what to say!  Thanks Man!

@montydog Thank!  I don't like to compliment Neil on his lyrics but I think we can all associate with the things we did in our childhood and I think that's one of the things that attracted me to this particular set of lyrics and then to compose a happy jangly song around them. 

@pompeyjazz I remember the magic roundabouts as well, bloody nightmare!  More guitars, Not sure I'd have known where to put them ;D. Glad you liked it, maybe one for Radio Solent!
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2020, 08:25:31 AM »
Love that guitar sound and riff - very 80s indeed. Great energy in the chorus and those shouty backing vocals really suit the vibe - especially when they go off on a different rhythm.

Great nostalgia in the (original and cliche-free) lyrics. Production and arrangement really good too!

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2020, 12:04:28 PM »
Hola @PeteS

I loved the song, the lyrics are very deep, descriptive, a journey to the colors of before, at that age when everything was wrapped in cellophane paper

Mora
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2020, 02:13:45 PM »
woah
lovin this
it resonates with me
an ode to timeless boyhood
I dunno maybe more lead guitar
toward the end there's an emptyness, then the end
I'd prefer a more abrupt ending

but you're a fine songwriter with your own inclinations
well done
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2020, 08:33:10 PM »
@adamfarr Glad you liked it, I was please£ with the longer backing line in the chorus!

@moraamarolaloba Thanks, I can’t claim much credit for the lyrics, all I do is improve what I am given  ;D

Thanks @rightly ill have a listen to the end again and see if I can improve it!

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2020, 11:17:39 PM »
@PeteS  - you sound great on this.. It is dead catchy and I love the BVs on the chorus… as you said, all the ingredients are there.. It’s reminding me of something coming out of the chorus (not in a rip off way it’s driving me slightly crazy trying to think of what - a song I love that I haven’t heard in years…It will come to me).. Agree with @MichaelA about the Blur ref.. It’s really great production and fantastic playing.. And did I say catchy? I really really like this - my favourite of yours so far.. Such fabulous energy!