konalavadome

‘Time Machine’ , 24/9 - edits and tweaks now done!

• 28 Replies

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« on: September 17, 2020, 03:18:54 PM »
Hi all, here’s a new one - Time Machine - featuring the full band, me on vocals, me on drums, me on guitar, me on synths and me on bass. Now I understand where @5 guys named Lars got his inspiration from! ...it can be a lonely life this song creation business. Less so with all your band mates around.

If there’s any band members you think I should sack let me know!  :D ...might regret that, mind.

It’s just a bit of light entertainment I suppose, but kept me amused and occupied for a bit. Hope you enjoy if you do listen, even though it will never be a hit - I visited the future to check.

https://soundcloud.com/michael-a-duffy/time-machine

Time Machine

You said what has been said’s been said
The past can’t be rerun
The fairy tales I sold to you
All false, can’t be undone

If I knew then what I know now
I’d do things differently
Turn back the clock and put things right
No more stories

Only a time machine
Can save our love
So I bought a time machine
To rescue love
At the quantum leap online store
Left your credit card there
See you in my time machine
Back there somewhere

I chose the red one, cos you love red
So cool go-faster stripes
Kick-ass black hole deflector shield
Chrome triple exhaust pipes

Way back in time I’m Mr Right
Past damages repaired
It’s all there in the user guide
E=mc2

You never knew a time machine
Needed back wheel stabilisers
You don’t believe it got five stars
On Time Travel Trip Adviser
You never knew a time machine
Needs assembling like flat-pack
But the guarantee’s a million years
Then you’ll get your money back
That you lent
And I spent
Oh lament
I repent

« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 08:39:08 PM by MichaelA »
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 08:00:42 PM »
Once again a great lyrical idea and I especially love the lyrics in the bridge....stabilizers, flat pack, trip advisor....great imagery as always.

I enjoyed the music...😁👍🏻

If I'm being honest I wasnt crazy about two things, BUT both are very subjective so feel free to ignore..
1. I think a different vocal harmony line would serve the chorus better. (No...not the singer I promise!😆) the one u sing is fine BUT imho I can hear another that would make the chorus shinier.😊🤷🏼‍♂️
2. Too many "time machines" in the chorus for me.

Anyway that's all I've got. I always enjoy your songs equal parts quirky and brill! 😁🎶🙌🏻🎶

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 08:28:23 PM »
@MichaelA

Michael, this is beautiful.  Lovely emotion, a fine melody, and cool lyrics served up as a slice of authentic retro pop.

Nothing more to add.

Kudos my friend!

Paul

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 09:21:51 PM »
I love that plinky plonky synth riff, almost OMD like. In fact there is some fantastic synth stuff throughout. Great melody on this one as well Michael and the lyrics are stand out. Time travel trip advisor indeed  :) A fabulous idea perfectly executed. This should be released on a limited edition Red vinyl 7 inch (Just an idea)  :)

5 guys named Lars

• Solo Gig
    • 5 Guys Named Lars- Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2020, 07:56:19 AM »
You really are a great storyteller Michael..I really enjoy your songs because they are always interesting, quirky and tell a story. Your lyrics as usual are superb & this has a lovely cosy feeling to it. Well done to all of you. :D Hope the new band is a success..as we`ve discovered it can get pretty messy if you split up.  ;D

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2020, 08:34:40 AM »
It's a great production with some interesting synth riffs throughout.  I agree with @LostBoy on too many Time Machines in the chorus.  The bridge and the transition back into the chorus really works though.
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA
Instagram @echodogsofficial

Kafla

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2020, 08:37:04 AM »
Yes loving the ‘electricity-esque’ synths 😍

Good to hear your natural accent - more John Power than Lennon 😃 love the wee H sounds in front of the Os.

Excellent lyrics which develop the story and theme. The bleeps and bloops really carry it along well and it’s got a great pop melody.

Loving your work sir 😎👍🏻

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2020, 11:59:50 AM »
Hola @MichaelA

Wow, you're the band man !!!
Outside of jokes, good work, your song is original, I love the idea of the Time machine
it has put myself in a good mood, today I did not have a good morning ... But you have made me change my mind, thank you.

Be safe!

Mora
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2020, 01:30:17 PM »
Time Travel Trip Advisor is a stroke of genius. E=Mc2 is hilarious too (a bit quiet that bit?).

I like the way you throw out convention repeating the "save our love" bit.

I probably agree that you have a very similar harmony in the verses and the chorus, so something a bit different in the chorus might be something to try.

Very clever idea for a song. Synth stuff is perfect for a sci-fi theme - nice indeed.

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2020, 04:39:25 PM »
@MichaelA
Another great lyric in your inimitable style. Love the production , the arrangement and the instrumentation. Nicely sung too!
What's not to like?

Cheers

Jamie

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2020, 05:35:58 PM »
This is a great idea...I love it! I might have stressed a couple of syllables a bit differently. And left out "chews" (there were only two and they weren't terrible). It's really cute and engaging. I really enjoyed the images: red, deflector shield, stripes, exhaust pipes, back wheel stabilizers. Needs assembly! From Ikea, no doubt! This is great! I guess I already said that....

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2020, 11:23:41 AM »
Thanks for the early feedback on this folks. I’m going to sort out a couple of tweaks next week now.

@LostBoy thanks Leo, I’ll definitely think about varying that chorus harmony which is all straight thirds at the moment. Plus, yeah I think I will see if a ‘time machine’ repetition in the chorus can go to. Very useful feedback, thanks  ;D

@Wicked Deeds , glad you liked it, thanks for the encouragement.

@pompeyjazz , yeah red vinyl. Sounds great!

@5 guys named Lars , thanks and yes I do like to tell a story in my songs. I’ll try not to let my band break up, so ta for the warning 😉

@kafla , I had to puzzle out what an electricity-esque synth was. But yeah now I realise, guess I am guilty. I watched the video on YouTube and OMD look so nerdy, impossible to think they were pop stars, ha! I’m not a scouser btw, just live near Liverpool. Thanks for the nice comments.

@moraamarolaloba , hi Mora I am so pleased my song cheered you up on a bad morning. It’s great if a song can do that! 😀

@adamfarr , thanks Adam, yep I will tweak the vol on MC2 and experiment with the harmonies. Cheers.

@Jamie , thanks and you can come again 😀

@CaliaMoko , really pleased you liked the idea Vicki. I’ll be sure to watch my ‘chews’ in future ;)

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2020, 11:40:40 AM »
@MichaelA ,

back for another listen,

you really are a quality writer!

Paul

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2020, 01:58:29 PM »
Hi Michael,
You're on a bit of a roll ATM - this is clever, well written and your use of instrumentation is a perfect match up with the scientific theme. The 5 star rating line had me doubled over. Nothing I'd change here - so refreshing and original. Totally loved it.
M

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2020, 11:46:36 AM »
@Wicked Deeds , thanks for the re-listen Paul, and very kind of you to say that.

Hi @montydog , very encouraging feedback that, thanks! I have actually been saving that Trip Advisor quip for a while. And finally got to use it, after my abandoned song about going to the tip with loft rubbish died a death on my DAW. That one would have been called Tip Advisor, just so you know 😀 cheers, always a pleasure!