I Have Taken To Walking

• 22 Replies

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« on: September 15, 2020, 03:18:15 PM »
Hello everyone,

I have another offering to set before you. This is about how when you lose someone, it can literally rob you of your grasp on reality. The line about the names on the gravestones is from an interview with the great Chrissie Hynde who explained that she liked to go through a graveyard and call out the names on the stones. Any and all comments/feedback very welcome.

M

https://soundcloud.com/alan-walker-4/i-have-taken-to-walking

I have taken to walking these back roads in the sun
Watching from the river as my mind comes undone
And in a far off country
My true love sings our song

I have taken to calling out the names on the graveyard stones
They breathe again for a moment no longer just dirt and bones
And every name has a story
Every soul strives to be born

I'll lift my face to the sky
Look for me in the morning
I will be lifted by and by
I can feel the world turning
I can feel the world turning

I have taken words you gave me as you gently slipped away
I whisper will you save me before the ending of the day
But I'm not the man you made me
From the cold, idle clay

I have taken to waking to the sound of no one there
Just the distant roll of thunder, rain's promise in the air
And far outside my window
The futures silent stare

Kafla

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 04:54:48 PM »
Hi @montydog

I haven't heard your songs for a long while but it's noticeable how good your production has become - you are really pushing those dynamics to every boundary and your vocals never disappoint. It kind of fades out a little weird at the end to my ear...

The instrumentation is sublime!

This is my new favourite lol

Superb!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 04:56:59 PM by kafla »

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 07:44:51 PM »
I like the melancholy mood; it's done well. A lot of good images. The ending--I'd like to hear it get closer to the end of the verse before fading out, I think. Or maybe even not have a fadeout? I'm not sure. It felt a little off balance, to me, as is. <<Listening again>> Maybe just a longer and more gradual fadeout, all the way to the end. Although, thinking from another angle...this type of fadeout could be considered a strong support for an unstable theme, which this is. That could work...there's discomfort in the theme and the ending is not comfortable.

I'm just rambling now. Great vocal, as always, nice and mellow. I know next to nothing about production, but it all sounds good to me.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 07:54:45 PM »
Yep, lovely melancholy feeling on this one Alan. Lyrics fit in with the mood of the music. The acoustic sound that you have is fabulous and the song is extremely well structured. Your production seems to get better and better. Another top tune from you.

Grubstar

• Open Mic
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 04:54:04 PM »
Hi M
Another great offering from you, a lovely atmospheric melancholy ballad of loss and longing.beautifully sung and produced. I loved the acoustic and the fabulous lead break and your vocals are spot on. My only negative comment is as Kafla and CM have said the end fade  sounds a bit odd, easily remedied I would have thought. Anyway I really enjoyed it.

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2020, 11:03:47 PM »
I just love that opening line....”I have taken to walking” its an open door to anywhere from there and you do such a great job lyrically in this one Alan. I love it. That bridgey bit is superb as well. I have no nits mate. I just sat back and enjoyed it.😄🎶👊🏻🎶

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2020, 08:01:59 AM »

Monty ;D. Another lovely track my friend.  Excellent guitar playing, I'm hearing all your dedication, practice and love of the instrument here ;D You make it sound so easy.
 I'm 'with you' on every note and strum. I just knew they were coming.....excellent ;D.  The organ works really well. Great laid back country/folk feel. 
 Words fail me ;D ;D ;D

Loved it mate ;D

Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2020, 09:24:38 AM »
Hi Alan, I love that idea of bringing the dead somehow momentarily back to life by calling their names in churchyards. Plus the idea of taking to walking to think things through...poignantly hits on a truth, I know I’ve done that,

The verse is quite long, so smart to bring in that organ and shaker in on the second half to seal interest and help the build.

A terrific, reflective song, one of your best both for the lyrics and melody. The instrumentation just washes over you so gently. My only nit was the fade out which didn’t seem to start in a natural place...maybe I was thinking an instrumental outro would come at the end of the fascinating narrative. But still, you’d of course know what to do if you agree.

But I do like this thinking person’s kind of song  ;)
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2020, 10:13:40 AM »
Beautiful guitar sound and lyrics well up to your ever high standards - the second verse in particular is perfect for me (inspired by Chrissie).

The only tiny thing that caught my ear was where you have a more complex guitar chord (example 0'56" - "names"). I think the organ reproduces it faithfully but seems to slightly over-emphasize the dischordant notes which makes it really dark - perhaps a different voicing or simplified chord on the organ could sound smoother?

But now I sound like a glass half empty person - this is a great musical piece and a fantastic example of revealing the emotion without really needing tell us what happened. Excellent.

Unclenny

• Solo Gig
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2020, 08:07:20 PM »
Nice bit of melancholia. Well produced with a very good acoustic guitar sound and a nice dynamic mix.

Nice electric guitars as well.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?band

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2020, 08:36:10 PM »
@montydog,

Alan, that is so true.  Whether we lose someone at the end of their lives or through a relationship breakdown, including losing touch with friends.  All of these experiences can cause us to lose our way in life.  They can cause us to do crazy things that we wouldn't usually do.  Fine melody and lyrics.  I'll second what KAfla said, the recording excellent.
Long may your wonderful songwriting  continue.

Paul

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2020, 12:14:07 PM »
Hola @montydog

Wow !!! What a good song!!! it has really moved me.
The song has a nostalgia that I don't know how to explain and the melody in the beginning of the sentences is wonderful, although I have become a little sad, my mood changes as I listen to the songs of the members of this forum It's like a Ferris wheel,

what a beautiful song and how well you've used your voice.

Mora
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2020, 04:50:53 PM »
@montydog
Hi Alan,
             I've said before how much your arrangements, instrumentation and production have improved over the years I've been listening to you. This completely underlines all those points, the best thing I've heard from you in all depts!

Cheers

Jamie

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2020, 09:23:15 PM »
Nice one Alan.
You've proven again your lyrical talent and the hook draws us in like a fishing lure :D
Really like the organ and vocals in this one - and the melody line is not too shabby either :D

Good stuff
Paul

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2020, 01:16:53 PM »
fabulous
wonderful imagery and stunning production
This is all from under one hat?
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly