A Taste of Metheglin

• 2 Replies

MrBouzouki

• Busker
  • "Love and Life is all about connections"
« on: October 10, 2020, 10:09:45 PM »
Instrumental Warning ... although there is some vocal in this piece, it's not in a language that been spoken in the UK for quite while.  8) 8) 8)

The vocal parts are in the Common Brittonic language to get some interesting 'Foley' sounds. It was spoken in Britain and Brittany in ancient times and eventually developed into Old Welsh, Cumbric, Cornish, and Breton. There isn't a vast amount of it, but it adds flavour. It is what I've been working on for a while now and although I've got some other more normal songwriting 'irons in the fire', nothing is ready yet. 

This is track eight of my on-going Pilgrim's Way Instrumental Project, about the history and natural world of Lindisfarne.

I wanted to get a sort of cinematic feel to be dropped into a Celtic Festival or feast day on the island and I hoped the language and children's laughter would aid in the immersion. It did give me a chance to do some bouzouki, and low and high whistle playing and some just about passible bodhrán playing. The other instrumentation is VST-based.

The Metheglin of the title, is a spice flavoured mead, known to have been drunk back in the day. From the Internet it looks like it's a popular homebrew choice for certain sections of society. It sort of ties in with Lindisfarne mead and also the bees that featured in the previous track to this 'By Castle Walls'.

Anyway, feel free to ignore if instrumental music isn't your cup of tea and I promise to post a 'proper song' next time.

Hopefully you will enjoy the feast .... "búwa slanos ac swos"  ;)

https://soundcloud.com/mrbouzouki/a-taste-of-metheglin

Sideways S

• Busker
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 12:15:13 AM »
What interests me most is the way that you can use synths as a major part of it, but it still sounds like folk music.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2020, 09:51:23 AM »
@MrBouzouki - Very relaxing, instantly conjuers up some happy, folky images, I'm really there, by the fire, right by those sheds on the beach, made out of rowing boats, looking at the Castle, and the walled garden beyond, Seals bobbing in the water, the light from the Farne Islands....such a different and very well constructed instrumental, no need to apologise.

Off to Discount Booze now to get a 6 pack...and some pork scratchings... 8)

Perfectly mixed.