Mississippi Moon

• 25 Replies

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« on: September 10, 2020, 03:34:58 AM »
Final draft  ;) I attempted some mixing on this. It has a little percussion, acoustic guitar, and lead vocal. I know it has many opportunities for improvement. Feel free to comment on it, if you want, but basically I know I just need to keep studying.

I think this might be the final version of the words. I'm still open to more suggestions, though. I'm interested in knowing if the words work okay and if the melody matches well.

Here's the song (https://soundcloud.com/caliamoko/mississippi-moon) and here's the lyric:

“Come with me,” he said; “let’s go to Mississippi.”
His eyes were bright; his smile tight with hope
“You can even leave me when we get there.
I just need someone to help me go.

PRE-CHORUS
If I don’t go now,” he said, “I never will.
I’ll have a wife and kids; I’ll use an office key.
My hopes and dreams will never be fulfilled.
I really want to go, come with me, please.

CHORUS
Let’s go down to Mississippi;
We’ll watch the stars at night and share a point of view
Let’s go down to Mississippi,
Where we can dance beneath the Mississippi Moon.”

I shook my head; “What would my mama say
if I took off and ran away with you?
And what about your bride; what about your wedding day?
And me, I really need to stay in school.”

PRE-CHORUS

CHORUS

BRIDGE
What if I had gone, what would I have seen?
I'd like to peek into that fantasy.
Would things be diff’rent? I don’t know.
If I had dared to follow my Romeo?

CHORUS

© 2020 Vicki Morrison Goble
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 09:49:06 PM by CaliaMoko »

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 05:26:00 AM »
The chord structure is soooooooo familiar.  I just figured it out.  Zager and Evans "In the Year 2525." 

Not all of it, but some very similar parts.  It's the chords your were given, not any plagiarism.  But it's cool and fun how literally everything can tie back to something else.  That's what makes music so darned fun.

I'm reminded of how my lyric "Little Tin Gods" was so similar to "One Tin Soldier," even though I was working from an Elton John song.  There is literally 'nothing (completely) new under the sun.' 
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 10:55:02 AM »
Was about to write a note saying "That long intro is waaaay too long" but actually I think there's something wrong with the sound file and only the guitar has rendered!

I like the lyrics though - nice twist in the tail and other nice touches "I need someone to help me go" is a really interesting line. Also the "point of view" sounds simple but it's never more apt than for looking at the night sky....

Anyhow, I look forward to the complete production!

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2020, 02:02:40 PM »
Oh man! How embarrassing! Let that be a lesson to me. Never upload without listening first.

So, now the whole thing is there....

Kafla

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2020, 02:28:41 PM »
Hi @CaliaMoko

I really enjoyed that 😍

It’s got a very familiar chord structure (which I understand was the remit of your challenge ) and sometimes I think playing to a strict beat doesn’t help to differentiate the arrangement when using such chords

I am wondering if you should just ditch the beat and play and sing the song loosely to help get some nuances in there...it’s a fine lilting melody and the words sit nice with each other...I often find folk type campfire songs work better without a strict tempo - I bet your natural rhythm is magical with this song

Anyway your voice is rich and expressive and carries the tune well 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2020, 07:13:30 PM »
Oh what might have been! I like these kind of wistful narrative songs and you tell the story well, topped off with a memorable join-in style chorus.

I remember you said on the Friday video once that you always end up with your songs sounding like they’re from the 60s. Well nothing wrong with that, and especially in this case, as the sound and structure reminds me of crossover folk/rock artists of the late 60s. I think this kind of melodic classic style is due a comeback, and I am sure you will be ready for it if that time comes.

I’d be tempted to add a few simple harmonies on the chorus, typical of the genre. But very enjoyable all the same  ;)
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2020, 08:19:41 PM »
I really enjoyed this Vicki. Like Michael says, nothing wrong with working with a genre that you are good at and you are so good at this sixties, folks vibe. Your melodies are always strong and lyrics always well thought out. Bravo Vicki  :)

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2020, 10:03:59 PM »
your vocals are so refreshing vicky, and the skilful unpredictable lyric and your vocal kept me engaged with it..
wasnt put off by the sparse presentation.. didnt notice.. vocal said it all..   anymores a bonus
altho as it played i did find myself adding armchairs drums and an imaginary rubber bassline..
fine song
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2020, 09:17:22 AM »
Really like this: your voice is truly exceptional, with a lovely resonant quality. Some excellent phrasing gives the song a fresh and original quality, as well as keeping the listener engaged.

One minor suggestion: In the bridge, I would replace "Let's take a peek  ..." with "I sometimes peek ( or even sneak) ...". I think this would give it a more personal and wistful feeling.

Best wishes,

Kevin

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2020, 10:10:14 AM »
Good song! As said, I think the story is great and the twist in the end is very nice.
Although there is some irony in saying that if she doesn't go with him he'll end up with a wife (not her!).

I think I'd probably try to find a word other than Romeo as that's been done lots of times. As "I don't know" is pretty neutral there's lots of scope ("what would have been my future / if I'd followed my seducer" - not really a suggestion but you see what I mean). Though Romeo does have a touch of the young and reckless about it...

Very much like the melodies and vocals too.

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2020, 01:47:18 PM »
Hi Vicki, beautifully sung, as usual 8). Yes it is a familiar chord structure, but you have made it your own with a nice bittersweet lyric.

Cheers

Jamie

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2020, 01:49:53 PM »
First. I changed "sleep" to dance to avoid any chance of someone taking sleep metaphorically as death. Besides, dancing under the moon sounds more romantic than just being unconscious, right?

@hardtwistmusic : Oh, it is, isn't it?? I knew I like that "walking down" sound, and "In the Year 2525" is probably the first place I heard it.

@adamfarr : Thanks! I was glad I stumbled onto that "help me go" line. He wants to go but can't bring himself to go on his own. If someone goes with him, though, he could manage it. And the song doesn't say this, but he's asking his previous girlfriend, someone he feels a strong connection to--to go with him. There's a whole background story to go with this one.

And posting instrumental only--good lesson for me. Never post without listening first! I didn't notice the render was set to "stems", so it only rendered the track that was selected.

@kafla : It was only the first few chords of the chorus that were required. And we could use them wherever we wanted in the song. That's where I ended up putting them. For recording, I am extremely dependent on a rhythm or click track, but when I'm live, of course, I can do whatever I want. Generally, I tend to speed up gradually throughout the song, no matter how hard I try to keep it consistent. Thanks for the nice comment on my voice! Ego boosts always welcome. :)

@MichaelA : Thank you, Michael! I do keep hearing harmonies in places on the chorus and hope to add them in before the local challenge deadline. Every time I listen, I find myself singing harmony on the chorus.

@pompeyjazz : Thank you muchly! I like to fiddle with words :) These are probably not 100% done but getting very close.

@nooms : Thanks for the complimentary words! I have been considering attempting a bass line on this but haven't gotten to it so far. Came close one day. Got the midi stuff plugged in so I could use the keyboard but didn't make it. Yet. There is a little percussion in there, but it's pretty far back in the mix.

@kevysc : Thank you!! I agree about the bridge. It has been a struggle. I'm definitely not happy with the "take a peek" line and already had plans to try to rework it.

@adamfarr : Yes...in fact, I've already done a song with Romeo in it, and I had plans to "fix" that part. Strangely...and let me set this up...I signed up for a half hour of songwriting coaching with a professional. I went into it thinking the Romeo line, in particular, needed to be different. She disagreed and said the REST of the bridge was too boring, and the only good part was the Romeo line! Of course, it's just one person's opinion and a different coach might say the opposite. Still, I am now conflicted. We'll see what happens. I kind of like the "young and reckless" feel.

@Jamie : Thank you for the lovely words!

Thank you, everyone, for all the wonderful comments, and a big thank you to everyone who has listened.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2020, 09:25:01 PM »
One more thing. I added a little bit of harmonies here and there. For now, I think it is finished. At this point, I'm especially interested in helpful hints for the mixing.

MAKE THAT TWO MORE THINGS. I changed the peek into the fantasy line to make better sense. "Let's take a peek doesn't work, because we really aren't taking a peek. but I would like to, so it has become "I'd like to peek" which is the truth.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 09:50:25 PM by CaliaMoko »

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2020, 03:17:43 PM »
You have a beautiful voice, Vicki @CaliaMoko and it’s a lovely strong melody.. the story is great and it’s a good and interesting spin on the running away theme... a very lovely song.

In the bridge, it struck me that ‘what if I had gone’ would be quite hard to sing - I think I’d drop the ‘what’ and just sing ‘If I had gone.....’ ... just a thought....

Karen.

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2020, 07:09:07 AM »
My first chance to hear it with the vocal attached.  The "Zager and Evans" vibe is even more apparent and it's wonderful. 

I think this is my favorite of all your songs.  And I haven't heard any of your songs for some time, so there is no 'gradation of change' for me to deal with.  I think your vocals have REALLY taken a step forward.
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.