Country

• 11 Replies

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2020, 08:16:28 PM »
I’ll check it out, or maybe chuck it out if it doesn’t ring my bell, My limited knowledge of country is Garth Brooks ...

I dig his album In Pieces..., sounds a bit wrong doesn’t it.

Time to remove these cowboy boots and pour myself a whiskey with a chilli dog, whatever that is...

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2020, 08:18:31 AM »
Thanks for this - any more suggestions for “country music for people who don’t really like country music”?! @Paulski @montydog ?

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2020, 08:37:07 AM »
Hi Adam, well apparently in the US you can call somebody ‘queer’ without getting pillaged! Here is ‘queer country artist’ Karen & The Sorrows from Manhattan- who are making more of a splash than their Soundcloud page suggests.

https://soundcloud.com/karenandthesorrows

No cowboy hats on show!
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2020, 10:49:07 AM »
Thanks for this - any more suggestions for “country music for people who don’t really like country music”?! @Paulski @montydog ?

@adamfarr

I would actually recommend the NASHVILLE TV show soundtrack

There is a “best of” and it really does have some cracking tunes on it in a variety of country styles (pop, rock, ballad)
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2020, 11:25:01 AM »
Thanks all! It seems I'm not alone - if you search for "country music for people that don't like country music" on Spotify, loads of playlists appear...

I have already learned that you can rhyme "things" with "dreams" and "Colorado" with "bottle"... A whole new world...

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2020, 11:28:22 AM »
@adamfarr

Check out How 'bout them Cowgirls by George strait. On every of my all time favourite songs.

Midland 'Drinkin' problem s quite good too. There are so many great country songs.

Paul

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2020, 03:41:06 PM »
I'm nt the biggest fan of country music. I always remember the old joke: "If punk music is sung by punks, what is country music sung by?". :p

Sorry, couldn't resist!

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2020, 04:34:08 PM »
ATM mainstream country is going through a terrible period and has been ever since the demon that is Garth Brookes appeared on the scene. It's a fetid sewer of bro country singers going on about beer, trucks and girls. Avoid that scene, dig a little deeper and there is plenty of great country music particularly where it overlaps with acoustic based singer songwriting and folk. I would agree with Boydie about the "Nashville" soundtrack - that is about as good as modern, main stream country gets. If you want my personal recommendations I would be listening to the following:

First Aid Kit - 2 Swedish sisters who write and sing the most beautiful country flavoured material you will find anywhere. Sublime harmonies, first rate songwriting and a super clean, natural production which does feature pedal steel but very subtly used.

Sarah Jarosz - I have been raving about this young lady to anyone who will listen for years. She sings, plays mandolin and writes her own material and she never fails to produce songs and arrangements of simple, delicate beauty. Essential.

Abigail Washburn - As above. Sublimely talented banjo player, songwriter and singer.

Gillian Welch - As good as the 2 listed above but she's been at it a fair bit longer and is a little more old time folky flavoured and quite a stark, low key performer. Brilliant though.

I'm conscious that these are all women but that's my personal taste. If you want to hear probably the best early 70's country crossover album listen to "Elvis Country". No pedal steel but a collection of  tasteful country standards performed as only Elvis could. One of my favourite albums of all time.
Anyhow, something to be getting on with in your quest to hear some decent country music.
M

Grubstar

• Open Mic
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2020, 08:36:29 PM »
Hi
I was watching an episode of The Umbrella Academy the other night on Netflix, each episode has a fantastic soundtrack both new and old, when this country song came on and I was absolutely blown away, its by a Canadian group called The Dead South and they have quite a lot of material on Youtube. I've put a link to their video 'In Hell I'll be in Good Company' I cant stop listening to it. Give it a go I think you'll like them.

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2020, 10:17:55 PM »

Oh yeah  ;D thanks for that introduction Mr @Grubstar.  Lovely fresh sound for these old ears ;D
 I'll definitely follow up.....

Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2020, 11:31:46 PM »
Great video Grubstar.
For me in this genre, +1 for Monty's Gillian Welch.
My fave country album might be The Byrds "Sweetheart of the Rodeo", if that counts and I'm allowed to go back 50+ years.  Or to bring it up to date, a colleague just introduced me to Laura Veirs which is kinda country and kinda very cool.
It's all too beautiful.