konalavadome

Kinky Blackbird 1967 (Bri Nylon Mix)

• 26 Replies

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2020, 10:26:43 AM »
Thanks again for all of the listens and the kind words...

As always i try to respond not only to the questions,  but also to explain a bit of my approach and a bit 'how it was done' for those interested....

@5 guys named Lars - Your contribution was bigger than your organ...

@Kafla - First, glad you dig man, I try and make a mini journey out of all the songs I write, the trouble is I get bored quickly, so if I hear a song that I can guess where it's going, it kind of leaves me cold, so I try and keep the interest there all the way through, it might be by adding something different in the 2nd verse, an inversion of a melody line, a different rhythm for lyrics, but, just something to keep me from getting bored.

As for the beep, bobs and fairground noises, that's a direct influence from 'The Benefit of Mr Kite' and the beginning of Queens 'Brighton Rock'. I guess anything goes, don't be scared.

As for the Neighbour line, it bothered me slightly...How can a neighbour be talking to a blackbird? but it kind of works, doesn't it, for that split second logic flies out of the window...just like the bird.

The song was finished in later July, but my listening phase was quite long for this one, I wasn't convinced about some of the mix levels, so I revisited it a few times to get them just right, releasing a song is like giving birth, a uni directional process...It has to be the best it can be, right from the off.

Keep your songs coming Man, they are excellent.

@Binladeda - Cheers Steve - Thought you might go for it...Send it over when your ready, I'm waiting for it....no hurry.

@Grubstar - Hi Ho Silver Lining - well I never, that definitely was not on my mind, I always associate that with 'just before finishing a Party' song, Lead lip trumpet, never imagined to be credited for that, it was a load of fun doing that, and I had to stop myself, doing more and more tracks for that, in fact I think I muted 2 or 3 of the tracks in there..Couldn't resist the 'Blackbird' at the end,partly because of my guitar, it's pretty much the same as what they used..so I knew it would sound alright.

@adamfarr - Hola Adam, Funny you should say that, I actually went for a set of Thomastik strings, (they were after recording this) I wasn't blown away by them, but I can imagine they could last a bit longer. I do prefer the newtones, as they ring like  a bell, I was put on to them by Ralph McTell, I phone his office and asked what pre amp and strings he used, as I LOVE his studio tone, he came back and explained he uses K&K pre amps on all his acoustics and yes, Newtone strings...if they are good enough for him...

I did think about the placement of the 'Solo' section, but  I remembered the solo in Squeezes 'Another Nail for my heart', and how brilliantly bold it was to have it so early, so it was a nod to the placement in that song, and it seems to work, albeit slightly unusual when one has heard solo sections later on, as the norm.

@MichaelA - Thanks Micheal, yes, the arrangement is a little odd, born out of the rather piecemeal way that it was put together, @5 guys named Lars had some cracking ideas, he wrote the lyrics for the first 2 verses.

Which mad bit? it's all bonkers man...

Can't have too many outros, I just imagined the guy in the Studio fiddling about (as one does) after the take, and playing that as a bit of a laugh, but it was caught on tape.

@Wicked Deeds - Thanks Paul - the organ bit was a challenge, one for the blinking sound - I couldn't find a Fairground Steam organ VSTi, so i think I used a '60's Farfisa from Arturia's V Collection 7, and lofi'd it with Audio Thing's Speaker (I think).

@kevysc - Thanks for the listen and that you liked it Kev

...Again thanks to all that took a listen, It's scheduled for release on the major streaming sites in mid Sept..without the Blackbird outro, unfortunately...

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2020, 12:49:14 PM »
Hola @cowparsleyman

Thank you for sharing this song, it has taken me to times when the world seemed like this, like the brass band sounds... I loved it and also the lyric. The sound is very natural too!

Mora
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2020, 05:04:05 PM »
@cowparsleyman

Hi Rich and associates, brilliant, love it, great ideas, playing, production etc etc etc......Made me smile, but I also loved the song. might have to pick up my acoustic and re learn Blackbird.....

Cheers

Jamie

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2020, 07:52:55 PM »
@Jamie - if it made you smile Jamie, then I’m more than happy. Thanks for listening

@moraamarolaloba - thanks Mora, glad you like it.

@5 guys named Lars - fyi man...

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2020, 09:17:13 PM »
Well, that's right up my alley. Straight from the sixties--my super musically impressionable teen years.

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2020, 09:00:47 AM »
That straight eight (or whatever it is...you know what I mean) piano/bass riff is so typical we couldn't be anywhere else. The Move is the first band that came to me despite the Kinky title....but yeah The Kinks too...on a sunday afternoon or a sunny afternoon...definitely summer and definitely afternoon.
It's the bridge where it gets real Kinky. Superb vocals all through.
Great instrumentation all over it too and fantastic mix which is the envy of us all. I'll try to catch your tutorial this week...I've got to learn some of this stuff!
Something always in my head to get that separation of instruments but glue it all together seamlessly. You achieve it nicely....I don't suppose it's anything easy...oh well!

Great stuff Rich and captures the era brilliantly.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2020, 01:24:55 PM »
Hi,

This is very, very clever. I'm getting Kinks, Beatles and the whole vibe of that era music. I loved all the sound effects and instruments that you've used. Incredibly original and innovative. This must have taken you absolutely ages. Wonderful in so many ways.
M

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2020, 11:45:53 AM »
Brilliant Rich!  Sooo 60s!

Just off to get my flares out now!
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA
Instagram @echodogsofficial

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2020, 06:41:32 PM »
Fun stuff..............This does have a Beatles feel to it, as the period and title suggested, in a subtle, off way.
Good stuff..........
                                             -Tom
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

antepop

• Busker
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2020, 06:19:46 AM »
What a great song and music production.
You've caught the feeling and sound entirely!
Keep up the fantastic work!

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2020, 08:27:13 AM »
You got that perfect my friend..just missing a few pops and crackles.. :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2020, 04:53:31 PM »
@CaliaMoko - Cheers V, yeah, they are very impressioonable those early days, when a song like 'Fire Brigade' by the Move just filled my ears with wonder...Yes, recreate those days here on the Forum....I can hear the American Voice Over now, with a large sweaty dude in a check jacket....

@Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra - Thanks for your kind words, I put a lot of the mixing  down to doing it o great cans, the AKG Q701's have a soundstage about 500 miles wide and placing tracks is a breeze, it's all so intimate.

I'll be resuming the Tutorials in the new year, I'm rather stuffed with work at the moment.

@montydog - Hi M, thanks for the critique, thats so nice of you to say yes it took ages, partly due to the arrangement coming i waves and then the production was pretty tricky, you know, a dB here, 2dB there, a smidge more right/left...sub mix busses helped a lot with the Vox arrangements.

@PeteS - You mean to say you took em off? may the Lord of Voicemeter Potato be with you for always (if not longer)...Huge thanks for your help with that.

@IronKnee - Cheers

@antepop - I will certainly keep it up Mr or Miss antepop, thanks for the cirtique.

@shadowfax - Thanks man, I did put Waves Vinyl over it but I wasn't happy with the results, it sounded a tad contrived...that's a bit rich, the whole song is contrived...

Hey ho, such is life, better flap my wings and fly away...

Thanks again to all, really appreciate it.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 05:03:56 PM by cowparsleyman »