konalavadome

Are you a bender?

• 4 Replies

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« on: August 23, 2020, 01:07:47 PM »
Just been trying (again) to nail the nemesis which is Room 335 by larry carlton, been trying off and on for 40 yrs. so i thought laterally and came ip with the idea of thinner strings might help by allowing me to bend instead of picking...

So I’ve gone for ernie ball 8.5 to 40, (i normally use 10-42) they do bend and make some manoeuvres easier, but i think at the cost of tone...my fingers are old arthritic and just cant play that fast, i can play the notes but not that fast, i could record it slow and speed it up or
My preference is to do a jazzy slow version.

So i can heartily recommend these for players that bend.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 01:14:18 PM by cowparsleyman »

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2020, 07:47:32 AM »
Code: [Select]
So I’ve gone for ernie ball 8.5 to 40, (i normally use 10-42) they do bend and make some manoeuvres easier, but i think at the cost of tone...
@cowparsleyman
Billy Gibbons from ZZ Top plays 0.007s and his gritty tone certainly doesn’t suffer!!

This is on a Gibson as well, which tend to be a bit easier on the string tension due to scale length

I also play 0.010s but recently picked up a Tele in a shop with 0.009s and really enjoyed the change in feel so I may consider a change for my Tele for a bit of variety

Great to see Larry Carlton getting some love  ;D When I did my Grade 8 electric guitar exam I got complimented that my improvisation style was similar to Larry - although at the time I had never heard of him  ::) :-[ - needless to say I looked him up after

I am not familiar with this particular track so will look it up...
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 09:39:36 AM »
@Boydie - Wow, to sound like Larry is a huge compliment, his phrasing is superb, and his knowledge of theory is obvious.

I remember brian may using .008 rotosounds, they were awful and felt like hair and bust at the drop of a hat...

Let me know what you think of the track.

The idea is to bend to the next note so a pick isn’t required

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2020, 04:07:15 PM »
Interesting, for me it’s not just about my left hand, but also the resistance on the pick that I miss with anything less than 10’s. I’ll go to 11’s v sometimes on Gibson scales.
Going to have a listen to Larry :-) N
songwriter of no repute..

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2020, 10:44:52 PM »
Heres Larry’s original Room 335, enjoy, he’s not a shredder, his phrasing over chord changes is sublime.

Heres how play the tricky bit...By a guy nearly named Lars ...

Hope you have more luck than me....btw that whole album is very good if you liked Room 335

@boydie
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 11:11:44 PM by cowparsleyman »