Interview with Lyricist Don Black

• 6 Replies

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« on: August 13, 2020, 08:01:03 PM »
Hey, for those interested who can access BBC Sounds etc, this interview with the lyricist Don Black was just on Radio 4's "Front Row".  He's the guy who wrote Born Free, some of the Matt Monroe classics, and (coincidentally) some of the Bond theme lyrics.  I thought he had some good points to make about lyric writing - the importance of being concise etc.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000ln05
It's all too beautiful.

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 11:12:09 PM »
Cheers @PaulyX , the guy’s success demands a listen to this, which I will do ASAP. Thanks for the tip off, as I’d not seen this at all  :D
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2020, 09:58:46 AM »
'Diamonds are forever' what an opening gambit!  'Precise lyric' writing - Reminds me of Jimmy Webb who once wrote 'songwriters are the Swiss watch makers of literacy." That's so true when you consider you have approximately 3 minutes to communicate emotions exactly within the framework of a musical structure, defined by rhythm, melody and syllables.  Wonderful music, immediately steers the lyricist along the correct avenue. I've always thought that and it's great to hear that a writer of such esteem shares this opinion.  It evokes our deepest thoughts. I don't think a writer can go far wrong once they access their inner well of thoughts and emotions.  I love that Norman Wisdom gets a shout out in this interview amongst some rather heavyweight song composers.   He knew how to write songs. I wonder if that is quite a surprise to many.  I love that the interview relies heavily on songs that embody such fantastic melodies. Imagine being asked to write for Thunder ball or even being introduced to John Barry. It's a bit like winning the lottery. That would put a sp img in your stride. Imagine writing songs several decades ago when the songwriting craft and emphasis on melody was centre stage.  Great find!
Paul

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2020, 10:03:03 AM »
I could talk all day about this but would like to  add autobiographical writing requires the writer to be just as inventive/imaginative as a writer who relies perhaps solely on imagination. In fact, I'd say it requires more skill.

Paul

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2020, 10:04:17 AM »
Don McLean is a great example of a writer who combined many approaches to writing.  He was both imaginative and autobiographical in his approach to writing. He was/is  a great social commentator too.

Paul

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2020, 07:54:52 PM »
Glad you found it interesting too @Wicked Deeds .  I hadn't really heard of him until this interview (although I knew a lot of his songs of course) but yep, I really liked his approach to 'the craft'.
Good point about autobiographical songwriting.  I agree with you about it requiring more skill.  I can't really do it myself, I tend to make up situations that aren't about me, but I think it would be harder to write autobiographically... I think I'd struggle having to write stuff that rings true to how I felt, and was fair to the other people in it, as well as making it sound good.  You don't have to worry about the first two if you're writing 'fiction'.  Plus I probably don't have that much of interest from actual experience to write about!  But I really admire people who can do it.
It's all too beautiful.

Kafla

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2020, 08:12:42 PM »
&app=desktop

I watch this combo at least once a week 😍😍😍😍