Coolaulin Sweet Charity

• 27 Replies

Kafla

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2020, 12:35:15 PM »
Many thanks Jamie , M , and monty

Yes phantasmagorical Monty , the song basically just fell out of me , well about 80% - I always love it when songs do that

It’s good to be back amongst you lovely people and I appreciate you all listening 🥰🥰

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2020, 09:11:06 PM »
Hello Kafla
This is the first song of yours I have heard, I think I must have showed up here a little after you went on hiatus.
Well I was really really struck by your voice... characterful and very warm.  Are you from Liverpool / Manchester area?  Not sure if it is your accent or delivery or the song structure, but it took me to similar places to The Verb or The Las or as others have said The Coral or The Bunnymen.  Which is very fine company to be keeping I think.
Production sounded good to me, nothing felt out of place to these ears, and I liked the subtle evolution towards the end and the mix sounded solid.  Quality piece of emotionally charged indie rock.
It's all too beautiful.

Kafla

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2020, 06:07:57 PM »
Thank you very much PaulyX and indeed everyone who took the time to reply.

Yes The Coral, Las, Verve, Bunnymen all big influences. I have such an eclectic taste in music and one of the greatest thing about not being a pro is you can wake up and write any kind of song you feel like without disappointing too many people  ;)

Oh and I am from Bonny Scotland which musically is very similar to Liverpool/Manchester  ;)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 06:38:28 PM by Kafla »

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2020, 08:12:22 PM »
Hail Hail Andy.

Been way too long. Hope you're keeping well.

A breezy, summery song to my ear.

Put me of a mind of David Gray also.
Thought the outro worked well. Perhaps would have gone for the extended, Glastonbury singalong mix.  :D

Digger

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2020, 09:35:20 AM »
A fine song 8) my only crit is that it lacks light and shade, I think some of the end sequence could've been used as an M8 to break the song up a little and the jangly guitar could've stopped for a few bars somewhere... :) still a good song though my friend!

best  :) 8)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2020, 06:01:35 PM »
It's a lovely thing that's for sure....plenty of light and shade just in that vocal.
Love the way it goes out after the verses...just the right amount of verse before we needed a change too....nicely judged.
Nice!
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

Kafla

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2020, 02:07:06 PM »
HH Mr Digger 🍀🍀

I’ve been following you closely in my absence and I can’t believe that you were asking several years ago how a midi keyboard works 🤣🤣

Your recent output is truly outstanding my friend 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Thank you shadowfax and Viscount - much appreciated you listening and taking the time to comment 😀

Grubstar

• Open Mic
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2020, 05:13:47 PM »
Hi
As others have said you really have got a great voice it does have a touch of the Richard Ashcrofts about it which I reall like I also thought the song was good , but I think you could have done a better job arranging it as  the count in sections really dont work.

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2020, 05:10:36 AM »
Love the song, Kafla..............and the performances are top shelf. Great singing!
Great sound!
                                  -Tom
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2020, 10:05:49 AM »
Beautiful stuff - yes the melody really takes it and your voice is excellent here (first time I have heard it!).

I was imagining Coolaulin as a lovely little village in the West of Ireland.

My only possible questionmark was that without a musical or lyrical hook it becomes less memorable than I think it should be ("it's better off to ... one life" has that potential...).

But everything sounding really good and the singalong ending is just right for [next year's] festival.

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2020, 10:57:17 PM »

Well, you certainly haven't lost your touch Kaf.  Lovin this mate.  Great to hear your voice again, such a lovely timbre you have ;D ;D.....Green with envy ;D
   Really like the ending, the vox that kick in around 2.34 are outstanding....the icing on the cake ;D

It's really nice to have you back amongst us Kaf.  Looking forward to listening to your work and reading your comments again old chap ;D

Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2020, 01:15:56 AM »
@Kafla
hiya mr K
really enjoying the track, lovely swaying feel and top vocals, striking clear as a bell..top welly
nice surprise to see & hear you back up on the boards.. and with a cracker

i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

Kafla

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2020, 09:40:48 AM »
many thanks @Grubstar @IronKnee @adamfarr @nooms @Binladeda

I’m so appreciative that you took the time to listen and post a thoughtful review

Great to see your still here @nooms 🥰