Home (and don't spare the hearses)

• 21 Replies

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« on: August 08, 2020, 02:27:21 PM »
Howdy...

I wrote and recorded a 1+1 version of this in about 3 hours last Sunday....and it was a bit rough, to be honest  :-[

So, on Wednesday night I spent about an hour putting a drum track together for it as I felt like I couldn't just leave it in the state it was in. On Thursday night I changed the key and recorded a 12-string acoustic and an electric bass track and then added a doubled string line and a vocal. I've just done a harmony vocal and added a harmony to the strings too. So probably 8 hours total. I don't really think it's any better or worse than the stuff I normally do...but I thought it'd be interesting to hear any thoughts about it either way...for which I thank you in advance  :)

You can read about the subject matter here if you feel so inclined...

https://www.dw.com/en/chagos-islands-the-fight-over-africas-last-british-colony/a-51372316

Home (And Don’t Spare The Hearses)

You can use it
Til it’s broken
When it’s broken
You might give it back
You can’t see it
When you’re shown it
You can steal it
But never own it

An Englishman’s home
Was any other man’s castle
When the shooting was over
Or the trap had been sprung
Turning the world into a vassal
Slitting throats
With a slip of your tongue

Stolen away
In front of their eyes
So B52’s can
Soar though tropical skies

No God-given right
No divine intervention
A God-given wrong
For the whole world to see
England expects
But neglected to mention
The slaughter and plunder
Of all that was free

And don’t get too set
Where you currently dwell
If their own are not enough
They’ll take yours as well
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 04:45:27 PM by PaulAds »
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 04:41:28 PM »
Hi @PaulAds

I really liked the 1+1 track posted for the challenge.

This has added so much more goodness to it. Nice to hear how a track can go from it’s raw state to a radio ready production.

It’s very catchy and up to your usual standard for sure. In fact this has been my workout track for this afternoon! Your music has a certain rhythm to it that is easy to sink into and I think you voice has that quality too! I always find myself just sinking into your music. Very enjoyable and all positive from me.

I’ve probably asked before, but do you play the drums on your track or are they programmed through software?

Cheers

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2020, 05:16:02 PM »
Ta @Darren1664 😀

This one was done with the garageband "drummer" function. I've done a couple of songs lately where I've just loved the feel of the track because of that. This one almost played itself once I'd hit on that drum groove.

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2020, 05:20:50 PM »
@PaulAds,

How would you like to send me the stems so that I can remix.  If you hate it, stick it in the bin.  You just might like the outcome!  I only have this evening to go to work on it so you would need to act fast.

Cheers

Paul

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2020, 05:30:01 PM »
HI Paul @Wicked Deeds that'd be super cool if you can...

Do you want all the tracks raw and unprocessed?

And can you PM me an email address so I can share them with you?

Ta!

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2020, 05:32:23 PM »
@PaulAds,

Yes please, all raw and unprocessed.  I'll send you a PM in a moment.

Cheers
Paul

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2020, 05:35:06 PM »
@PaulAds,

I've sent you  aPM and have a brand new Logic File open and am ready to go to work.

:)

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2020, 06:03:17 PM »
All sent...thanks again!

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2020, 10:56:09 PM »
Well that was pretty damn good for under a days work!
This has Steely Dan written all over it IMO - what great chord progs and melody.
And of course the road-weary yet eloquent vocals ice the musical cake :D

Super job but please give  me something to nit pick next time :D

Paul

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2020, 08:28:52 AM »
Lovely track Paul - great summery vibe offsetting the exceptional lyrics (some great twists on hackneyed phrases like the castle one... and ‘don’t spare the hearses’ is ace (almost a shame not to use it in the actual song)).
I love the chord progressions in the verses, particularly the ‘turning the world’ and ‘England expects’ moments - that chord shift is sublime.
I wrote a song called The British Museum once which was about a similar thing... the detritus of Empire... it’s pretty cheeky to call that museum British innit. I love the way this song (like a lot of yours) deal with big dark topics in a really enjoyable way.
It's all too beautiful.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2020, 09:13:22 AM »
@PaulAds - Writing as I listen..Love that ricky bass, such a signature sound of yours.  Catchy Vocal melody line, like the 12 string.

As Paulski says, all good here.

It sound quite compressed the way I listened to it - Apple earbuds on a laptop...maybe it was Soundlcoud squishing it.

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2020, 12:26:24 PM »
@PaulAds,

Sent a mix across to your inbox.  Enjoy!

Paul

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2020, 02:39:01 PM »
@PaulAds
Hi Paul, love this, I was trying to think who it sounded like until I read Paulski's comment, it's Steely Dan! Love Steely Dan. Another cheery little lyric for these dark times...... ;) Love the 12 string. My only thought was that the vocals seemed a bit to far back in the mix.
Nice work!
Cheers
Jamie

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2020, 07:43:25 AM »
Just goes to show that a good song is a good song through both versions.  Whilst I like this one and certainly appreciate the excellent layers, I really liked the original, the acoustic sound was really open and allowed the song to flow without distraction.

Great work on both Paul.
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA
Instagram @echodogsofficial

Grubstar

• Open Mic
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2020, 02:56:04 PM »
Hi Paul
A great track with a very breezy infectious melody and a fabulous chorus that mask the acerbic lyrics very subversive.. Absolutely loved the acoustic 12 string driving it along and your acomplished vocal delivery the song reminded me a little of Paul Weller/Style Council.