Vocal Booth

• 12 Replies

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« on: August 08, 2020, 11:00:07 AM »
Hi all,
Does anyone use a vocal booth? I mean the type that form a U shape around the mic rather than a small room! Any thoughts/recommendations/comments welcome.
M

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 11:08:44 AM »
@montydog ,
I don't but really should. My home in the northeast is a lovely recording space. It's quiet and the room design for my studio is excellent. Here in the south, it's a different story and I know it would be a great purchase for me.  I currently record vocals and acoustic guitars and can here the traffic whizzing by as the property's has single glazed windows.  I think this would be a wise purchase.

Paul
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 11:19:28 AM by Wicked Deeds »

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 09:00:27 AM »
@montydog - Yeah I use one, I would say they are absolutely essential for recording in a home/bedroom, it'll remove most of that bedroomy-ness, it's a quick fix, there are a few other ways that are much more complex, but this works for me.

There are plugins that claim to remove unwanted reverb, but they do tend to remove other stuff too, (like De-Essers)

It's made by Nordell audio and wasn't that expensive but works very well.

I'd be interested in finding out if you went for one.

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2020, 09:18:40 AM »
I have one but it came bundle with the mic so I can't compare since I never recorded without it.
Guess it all depends on the room, in a good room it may not be needed.
However, I have seen discussion arguing that if you are using a mic with a cardioid pattern it will not pick up much of the sound behind it anyway and the filter would not add much. Rather, they say work with the reflections coming in from behind your singing position going straight into the mic. I've seen suggestion where they damp a corner of a room and stand in the corner singing out into the room. The dampening behind you in the corner will prevent most of the reflections from behind and the cardiod characteristic will suppress most of the reflections from the room coming back into mic from behind.
Some claim that the reflection filter itself may cause audio artefacts.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2020, 09:22:36 AM »
Hi Alan...

I had one of the SE reflexion filters which worked ok but I sold mine in favour of rigging a mic up in a wardrobe full of clothes (😀) which I really think worked better for me.

When I had my garage converted into a room I use as a studio, I was able to pick up a bigger, framed, vocal booth pretty cheap which I’ve lined internally with heavy curtains and that’s brilliant. It also has the benefit that I can hide away in there whilst I’m screeching and fumbling around vocally. That’s the most important thing for me.

What I would say, though, is that your vocals are a real highlight of all your recordings...so I am wondering if you’ve identified a problem that needs addressing, or if you’re pondering dropping a reasonable £50-£100 on something that will improve the sound to a greater or lesser extent...

I suppose I’d sum up my ramblings by saying that I didn’t think that I got enough benefit from the filter I bought but they do absolutely help. I was perhaps just too cloth-eared to appreciate the slight improvement or too cynical to consider it worthwhile.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2020, 09:34:46 AM »
@PaulAds @montydog - I agree totally, Caz used to record in her larder, I used to called it Tik Tok Studios, since that was the tea she drank...duvets, blankets draped over clothes horses all do the job, as do running mic cable into the bathroom...

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2020, 01:15:05 PM »
The best thing i ever did was buy a real proper booth after years of making my own, however if you don't want to go to what is a considerable capital outlay I would say you should buy a large winter duvet and hang it in front of your mic...you could even fit it to a curtain rail so it could curve around you..like those hospital curtains...this would work very well and would be quite cheap if you already have a duvet.. :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2020, 01:21:51 PM »
+1 with johann @Jambrains

Sometimes a cluttered studio soaks reflections....a bedroom can be brilliant as if there is a bed plus cushions and carpets nice and dead..

In most studios of any repute there is a live and a dead area, the trouble they go through to make it sound as lifeless as a bedroom...cork tiles, carpet, low ceiling, with the live area wooden varnished floor, posh mirrored walls etc.

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2020, 07:10:11 PM »
Hi All,

Yeh I have one, But my room is also treated.

I read somewhere that they dont actually do that much as most mics have a forward cardiod pattern and there have very little pickup at the back (although some mics can be swithced to figure of 8, My NT2a does have this).
That being said, I do use it but am finding myself recording in the middle of the room with not bad results. So not convinced it was worth the money.

I think someone mentioned a cluttered studio would also work ok, I am sure there is some science behind room modes etc but either way, they must do something or they wouldnt have been manufactured.

Just my 2 penneth.
Andy

Kafla

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2020, 05:40:01 PM »
I have one and no longer use it

I can hear no difference although I am sure others would disagree

It’s interesting to me that the majority of our music is listened to via phone or tablet

Your voice always sounds great btw 😋 

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2020, 06:28:34 PM »
I will second kafla’s statement,
Your vocals already sound good monty,

Kafla

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2020, 09:40:04 AM »
Maybe off topic @montydog but my favourite vocal plug in is waves vocal rider - for me it’s a life saver and saves so much time 😍👍🏻

https://www.waves.com/plugins/vocal-rider?gclid=CjwKCAjwkJj6BRA-EiwA0ZVPVoM3pqPjNoQs5sxDrxBT2tC5gI9xX77uP6poO32LVFze-KuoM7HPoBoC2KMQAvD_BwE#achieving-perfect-vocal-levels-with-vocal-rider

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2020, 05:08:46 PM »
@Kafla +1 I use that also, most on remixes ehere I get stems recorded in different sessions.