Tides - Second original song

• 23 Replies

wyldelife

• Busker
« on: August 05, 2020, 11:30:26 PM »
Hi!
Four months ago I posted my first song on here and got some very useful feedback.
After writing five other songs and the discarding them, I finally wrote a new song, which turned out to be the prequel to my first song

Here it is:

It’s basically about the ups and downs of life with tides used as a metaphor.

Would love some constructive feedback on how I can improve!

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 02:53:54 PM »
Interesting jazzy chord sequences in the verse and nice transition into the (catchy ) chorus. You are a talented guitarist! Very nice lead break to finish with!

Nice work, Kevin

wyldelife

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 10:35:42 AM »
Interesting jazzy chord sequences in the verse and nice transition into the (catchy ) chorus. You are a talented guitarist! Very nice lead break to finish with!

Nice work, Kevin
Thank you so much! Glad you liked the solo!

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2020, 09:47:55 AM »
@wyldelife - Really dig this one Man, the production is very good, love the instruments and and the arrangement of the vocals, really excellent.

Lovely Strat sound, thank God for that guitar solo outtro, made me smile, both from how it sounds and that I had a similar strat to you and I just could not get on with those varnished maple necks, just didn't make me play well.

The Video was also engaging.

Really very good indeed.

wyldelife

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2020, 11:39:43 PM »
Thank you!
This Strat is so incredibly special to me, it’s my one and only guitar and has been with me through so much the last nine years!
Thank you so much for the nice reply and that you took the time to listen!

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2020, 01:14:53 PM »
@wyldelife - The pleasure is mine entirely, I could see that you love this guitar, it sounds great, it's a keeper for sure, what is you amp/pedal/plugin setup for the solo?

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2020, 01:59:08 PM »
Hi, very good song, enjoyed it. Loved the jazzy intro and the guitar solos. Nice chorus too....
Nice one!

Cheers

Jamie

Unclenny

• Solo Gig
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2020, 12:28:29 PM »
I like that metaphor of the tides a lot....good song writing there.

And that solo at the end is HOT!!

As for constructive crit.......work on finding where your vocals fit. This is pretty good for your second song....vocal mixing takes a lot of practice. I just finished my 309th song and I still don't quite have it right.  ;)  8)
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?band

wyldelife

• Busker
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2020, 10:50:58 PM »
@wyldelife - The pleasure is mine entirely, I could see that you love this guitar, it sounds great, it's a keeper for sure, what is you amp/pedal/plugin setup for the solo?
Everything is a combination of the Boss Katana + Strymon Flint, Caroline Guitar Co Icarus V2 Overdrive, Walrus Audio Julia.
The only plug ins I used were reverb for the drums and vocals plus the drums themselves!

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2020, 10:57:27 AM »
@wyldelife - interesting that you prefer to use outboard gear...It does sound very nice

wyldelife

• Busker
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2020, 02:14:49 PM »
@wyldelife - interesting that you prefer to use outboard gear...It does sound very nice
I’m just addicted to pedals and love the idea of having gear I can touch physically and I’ve made a pedalboard that makes so many sounds that I just love!

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2020, 06:26:55 PM »
@wyldelife
Hi, neat sounding recording.
Like the snare and guitars of course!
Just think the backing overdoes the vocals in the chorus a bit. I'd try and clear out the thicker back and boost you vox a bit. Don't be shy!
Lovely melodic solo, great tone and restraint - whereas loads who could would have overplayed it, tastefully done
:-)
neil
songwriter of no repute..

wyldelife

• Busker
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2020, 11:28:58 AM »
@wyldelife
Hi, neat sounding recording.
Like the snare and guitars of course!
Just think the backing overdoes the vocals in the chorus a bit. I'd try and clear out the thicker back and boost you vox a bit. Don't be shy!
Lovely melodic solo, great tone and restraint - whereas loads who could would have overplayed it, tastefully done
:-)
neil

Thank you! Really appreciate the feedback!
The thing is that I am a bit shy with my vocals, really not much of a singer. So I'll be making an instrumental track next.
Feel really uncomfortable about making the vocals stand out more than they do, I guess it's just part of the process.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2020, 04:14:49 PM »
@wyldelife - Your voice is more than fine, +1 with Neil C, get used to it, I used to be the same, as you, Hendrix hated his voice, just don't care about it, as long as it's in tune and you sing with passion and commitment, everything will be fine, the quicker you accept that your voice is fine, the better your recordings will be.

Rich

Kafla

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2020, 06:11:35 PM »
Got a big Split Enz vibe right from the off and you sound very much like Elliot Smith..always a good thing  ;D

I love the chorus man...such a cool transition and I didn't see that coming at all.

Stellar production, I love the soft "yeahs" and the guitar is so tight.

This is pretty special mate...I tip my hat  :D