konalavadome

Another voice by The Estuary

• 9 Replies

The Estuary (SWE)

• Busker
  • The Estuary is a Swedish amateur pop/rock band.
« on: August 30, 2020, 01:26:50 PM »
Hello!

Here is another one from me and my cat Pippi. Music making for me is a hobby, some sort of diary and, in some strange way, therapy. I have no particular goal for my music, except for learning a bit more and getting better at it.

‘Another voice’ was recorded last fall, and when I returned to it later to add some vocals, I thought that it sounded a little bit like an ABBA-song. Totally unintentional, of course.

The lyrics are probably the closest I’ve come to a political song. It’s got to do with how we talk to each other, people different from us, people with different views. I think there has been a great change in Sweden and probably in a lot of other countries. We hear a lot of polarised talk and extremist views. Lots of hate and dehumanisation – threats, lies, ridicule etc. – and not just from extremist parties and groups. I miss the moderate voices in public life today. And that is what I’m aiming for in this song.

There of course isn’t a voice of reason. There are many, and different ones, sometimes totally opposite. And I think there should be room for diversity and nuances too, right...?

ANOTHER VOICE

It’s silent but we still can’t hear our voices
Unconnected but the noise creeps through
Enough to make you cold inside
Enough to wake the ghosts in the night
And how I wish things could be different
That there was room for something else
Another voice
A voice of reason
Like fresh water from a dried out well

Darkness falls, the sky is lit red
Sleep with one eye open, finger on the trigger
The peace you seek is the root of this war
Your chosen future is ending now
And how I wish there was a way out
Rewind, erase the tape
To record a voice of reason
A voice of clarity and warmth

There was a time when people fled
Across the ocean to be free
Free from the paternal love that still burns in our veins
No more oceans to cross
And I wish I could be hopeful
Reason will prevail in the end
Another voice, a voice of reason
Like fresh water in the desert sand

And how I wish things could be different
That there was room for something else
Another voice, a voice of reason
Like fresh water from a dried out well

Grubstar

• Open Mic
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 02:47:46 PM »
Hi
I think you have a really good voice and the lyrics are very well written and articulate an important message that is not heard very often in these troubled times. I enjoyed the song (not so sure it sounds too much like Abba) but is  still a nice slice of Swedish folk/pop. Thanks for sharing.

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 06:17:10 PM »
I really like the backing rhythm track : it has a fullness, almost like a drone, which is very effective. Also, you have a great voice that is well supported by the backing track.

Great lyrics too, nice job

Kevin

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 08:00:07 PM »
This is more folk that Abba to my ear and is just lovely.. It's a very well-written lyric.. very interesting and relevant.

I enjoyed the simplicity of the arrangement - I think it suits the nature of the song perfectly.. A very well written and performed song. Thumbs up from me...

Karen 

Kafla

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 12:19:24 PM »
I’m getting more ‘blowing in the wind’ than ABBA...

However it’s a strong traditional type melody and arrangement that’s well executed...it could dynamically be ramped right up as it progresses

Nice lyrics 🤩

I enjoyed the listen 😎

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2020, 03:22:02 PM »
Hi @The Estuary (SWE) Yep, I'm getting that 60s folk vibe too and I love the guitar sound. It's almost like a guitar and mandolin fusion. It's simple yet very effective. Your vocal delivery is perfect, especially when you let rip a bit. Really enjoyed the listen  :)

5 guys named Lars

• Solo Gig
    • 5 Guys Named Lars- Soundcloud
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2020, 12:02:02 AM »
Hi @The Estuary (SWE) ..agree with the others that it sounds more Bob than Benny but its what you think that matters, I think. Many great lines in this. Well done to you sir.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2020, 08:58:14 AM »
Nice one! That mandolin-ish sound on the guitar is particularly nice. I also like when you push your voice with extra passion on some of the lines.
Definitely a little Dylan going on but I am too young to remember that (or what a "tape" is)...
For sure we have some problems in the discourse. I'm fairly sure it's a lack of education, though I'm not sure whether it's the voted or the voters that have the worst symptoms...

The Estuary (SWE)

• Busker
  • The Estuary is a Swedish amateur pop/rock band.
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2020, 01:34:19 PM »
Thank you so much for your feedback! Very useful and heart-warming.

@Grubstar : I can see that my ABBA reference was a bit far-fetched. It's not textbook ABBA stuff. I could just imagine Annifrid singing it with her ice blue voice, and it would be perfect. She wouldn't, though. It’s just in my strange mind.

@kevysc : I’m glad you liked the rhythm track. I just try different things – my recording technique is very primitive – and sometimes it comes out all right.

@MonnoDB : Interesting! I listen a lot to Joni Mitchell, Bob Dylan, Neil Young etc, but never thought of songs as folk music.

@kafla : I like the idea of a more dynamic approach – thanks! I’m going to make a new mix with that in mind.

@pompeyjazz : Yeah, I like that sound. Having no mandolin I just play my guitar in c major with a capo on the 5th fret. A poor man’s mandolin.

@5 guys named Lars : More Bob than Benny... So true. That is bumper-sticker material.

@adamfarr : Funny how much lyrics can tell about the one who’s written them – like old age! Maybe I should put some typewriters and faxes and calculators in there too...

Peace!

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2020, 01:43:49 PM »
Hi, plus 1 to all the comments above. I can't write lyrics in my mother tongue, so hat's off to your writing. Although having lived in Sweden, English is 'nearly' the first language ;). Very well sung and an enjoyable listen....

Cheers

Jamie