Live from the Lizard Lounge Bach Chippings

• 13 Replies

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« on: August 02, 2020, 12:46:01 PM »
[/youtube]

Any criticism gratefully received....

One of my favourite pieces. Wish I could play it.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 12:50:19 PM by cowparsleyman »

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 07:48:21 PM »
Hi Cpm,

Pretty Impressive mate, Like it. Nice playing.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 08:02:04 PM »
Hi Cpm,

Pretty Impressive mate, Like it. Nice playing.

@Cawproductions - you’re too kind, it’s a bit of a cockup really as it’s an AABB courante, 3/4 etc... but i cocked up the second B section but hey who gives a toss....I normally don’t bother recording classical pieces as they are never note perfect so I thought , you know what I just don’t care...purists will be trolling me all day and night...

Glad you like it. Bach is a joy to play...the most satisfying composer in any genre, don’t know how he knew, being an organist an all....Do you play Bach?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 08:17:53 PM by cowparsleyman »

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 09:27:08 PM »
Hi mate,
Do I play Bach?... hell no, not that technical, Rhythm gtr is my thing and self taught at that....

Teaching myself some lead at the moment, along with everything else.....always discovering new things on the guitar, techniques and positions etc...

I do love guitars tho, they are like great pieces of art...

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2020, 01:36:45 AM »
I love Bach but could never manage that counterpoint stuff on piano. My hands are only willing to do exactly the same thing at exactly the same time. So I was pretty bad at even the simplest Inventions (in college--totally out of practice now). Your video was really fun to watch and I immediately looked up the guitar music for Bach's Musette in D and quickly determined it would be some time before I could even think about playing it. Back to "Three Blind Mice"....  I'm glad you did the video. Another bit of inspiration to encourage me to try to practice more than two days in a row.

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2020, 11:53:48 AM »
@cowparsleyman
Nice playing Rich, that’s a complex piece. Nearest I got to playing Bach was parts of Air on a G string no3 in D major. A slower piece but it’s still v difficult to play. Haven’t played it for probably 20 years lol.
I have managed to do some pseudo classical pieces by Jan Ackerman, Steve Howe and Steve Hackett......but haven’t played any of them for a while......must go back to them someday...

Cheers
Jamie

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2020, 12:04:30 PM »
@Jamie - That's interesting, Air on a G String isn't an easy piece at all, that's the thing about Bach you spend 18 months learning  5 minute peice and then the last line is ferocious, happened a few times, there's Bouree' like that, and the Chaconne, sort of meanders about until near the end and sounds a bit like Guthrie Govan...Check out David Russell's version of it, if you find it...pure brilliance.

I'd love to her your pseudo classical pieces.

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2020, 12:28:42 PM »
@cowparsleyman

Will look up that piece Rich. I’m away on and off over the coming weeks,but I’ll have a go and remind myself how to play them, the steve Hackett piece will be the rustiest......watch this space

Jamie

Andreas

• Solo Gig
  • Singer/Songwriter from Norway
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2020, 03:00:47 PM »
That was really impressive, and quite frankly very beautiful to listen to as well! Closest thing I have ever been to ever being able to play a classical piece was "Für Elise" :p And the intro to Canon in D..

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2020, 04:24:47 PM »
@Andreas - That's one way of looking at it....Thanks

Unclenny

• Solo Gig
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2020, 12:36:35 PM »
Wow...Bach!! How cool is this!!??

Nice playing of a seriously complex piece.....that is not something I could do.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?band

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2020, 02:56:38 PM »
@Unclenny - glad you think it’s cool, don’t think many would...the one thing classical teaches you is to make the most of open strings to move up the fretboard, oh yes and to be accurate with your picking, a wrong note would shine out like a lighthouse beacon...oh yes and that the difference between learned and performance ready is a long long way, plus a load more, I suppose the biggest lesson I learned was that you are very exposed.

Thanks for the listen Lenny.

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2020, 09:31:16 PM »
Wow, great playing CPM and really relaxing to listen to.  Nice acoustics in your living room. :-)
It reminded me... about a year (?) ago you posted another classical piece, I think it was Bach, and you were trying to get someone to write lyrics to it.  I failed, but enjoyed trying for a week or so with it on repeat.  Did you get anywhere with that?
It's all too beautiful.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2020, 08:45:34 AM »
@PaulyX - Thanks Paul, I appreciate Your comments, I love playing Bach, albeit takes so long to learn playing it properly...I didn't get anywhere with the other Bach piece (that was a prelude - another cracking piece to play, maybe I can post that video ...)