konalavadome

Latest challenge

• 80 Replies

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2020, 12:18:34 PM »
Cool, I’ve listened to the other four songs submitted so far. What a great selection and it’s amazing to think that none of these songs existed until at least last Sunday.

@pompeyjazz, great heartfelt vocal on this one and a moving song, those dips into minor chords really pulling on the heart strings. Lovely work in just one session, although I know you always work admirably quickly. Very topical too, although heartbreaking of course.

Thanks for doing the playlist too, John. I think these songs will be quickly swallowed up into forum obscurity despite their obvious merits!

@Wicked Deeds your voice is lovely on this Paul, another moving contribution, some difficult issues tackled head on. Really like the indie guitar picking, plus the chorus has an anthem feel to it. I could imagine this one being worked up into a bit of an epic really. Despite you being a bit down on it, I think it’s a real quality piece.

@PaulAds  I like the recorded sound you got from that acoustic, mine always sounds a bit boomy if I play chords like that. But I digress, as you’ve got a real steely bile in these well thought out lyrics Paul, which ironically sit on top off that bouncy accompaniment that sounds like a song about your holidays! Our very own North East rebel in action. Great stuff for this song-in-a-day challenge.

@cowparsleyman lovely languid feel to this. I like the spiky edge to that Tele and the simple riffing was just the ticket. The double octave vocal worked well and who could not resist those ‘where the chips fry’ quirky lyrics. Cool contribution to our challenge indeed.

I’m looking forward to hearing any others that might still come in.

Plus thanks @pompeyjazz , @Wicked Deeds , @adamfarr and @paulads for the kind words on my effort, and esp thanks to PaulAds for his insight into his personal hobbies!  ;D I’m glad this challenge came up as I never really consider doing such a 1+1 track, and even if I start out like that I always end up layering on the tracks. This challenge shows that sometimes less can be more and the heart and soul of a track is not necessarily in multi tracking and production. I’ll try an remember that next time I open up Track 24. Cheers all  ;)
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2020, 03:11:27 PM »
Fascinating challenge! So many things that might come out otherwise over time, but these songs are interesting as maybe they reveal a lot of who we are really. Total writing time about 2 hours and then I committed to what I had (even cephalopod). Recording about the same amount including false starts, restructuring, and key changes. Loved doing this!

Take Me Home

V1
Ambition of the worker
Burning more candle ends
Doing more deals, billing more hours
Disappointing more friends
Always a few more mails to send

Bonuses, ladders and acclaim
Deep down just wanting to feel safe
And I feel the same

CH
Take me home, take me home
All I want is for someone to come along
All I want is someone to take me home

V2
Cephalopod legs on the drunk
She doesn’t know where her coat is
Another lost purse, ripped tights again
No idea where her phone is
Maybe she’ll just sleep where this stone is

Pressure, banter, waste and shame
And I feel the same

CH

V3
Loneliness of the patient
Trying not to look at your chart
They're here for you, but inside you’re alone
That bleeping sound is your heart
If it stops now will they try to restart?

Near to conceding the game
And I feel the same

FINAL CH

(c) 2020, Adam Farr, all rights reserved

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2020, 03:40:13 PM »
Another smashing submission for the challenge @adamfarr I love the singalong chorus, one I can imagine being sung in a pub late at night when we're allowed to. My favorite lyrics are "Cephalopod legs on the drunk
She doesn’t know where her coat is
Another lost purse, ripped tights again
No idea where her phone is
Maybe she’ll just sleep where this stone is"

Fabulous stuff  :)

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2020, 04:58:14 PM »
@adamfarr - another brilliant song Adam, one of your best sung with passion, great chords, superb stuff.

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2020, 06:20:50 PM »
Nice work @adamfarr, very melancholic but poignant too. The pen portrait idea for three characters experiencing different lifestyles but then with a shared desire is very neat. I enjoyed the delicate guitaring and the guitar’s sweet sound, and as Rich mentions the chorus is instantly memorable - and so wistful too. A most lovely song indeed!

Shame we don’t have a child board on the forum, or maybe we should have put these in finished songs, as I tend to think they will all be buried in a couple of days. Oh well, there’s something to be said for ‘short and sweet’.

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2020, 06:27:43 PM »
@adamfarr, there are some beautiful chords and unusual directions with your vocal melody.  The chorus is a beauty. It's a real sing along tune!

Well done with this super songwriting challenge submission.

Paul

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2020, 09:18:38 PM »
I hope it's okay if I do one by myself and one collaboration. I have one done. The collaboration is in process. I wasn't going to do one, but this one showed up and insisted, so I had to...

Here it is. :D

https://soundcloud.com/caliamoko/going-home

GOING HOME
1+1 One day challenge

I didn't have a clue
you mesmerized my mind
And so I followed you
but you left me behind
I felt so all alone
and every day I cried
But finally, I moved on
and I hid my tears inside

Going home, how could I have foreseen
Going home, at last, I'm finally free
Going home, my friends are calling me
Going home, going home

I've traveled all around
I've been away so long
And nowhere have I found
a place where I feel strong
I need a brand new start
I'm wiser than I was
I know deep in my heart
I was led astray by love

Going home, how could I have foreseen
Going home, at last, I'm finally free
Going home, my friends are calling me
Going home, going home
Going home, I am going home

Copyright © 2020 Vicki Morrison Goble
All rights reserved

« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 03:16:25 PM by CaliaMoko »

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2020, 08:53:16 AM »
@CaliaMoko , very lovely traditional song Vicki, with a very sweet and memorable chorus, sung almost hymn like. Easy to float away into the song’s mood. Great fast work!  :D

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2020, 10:12:24 AM »
Yes... Great stuff from Vicki and Adam's song is brilliant too.

Very impressed with you all.

I'm going to try recording mine properly over the next couple of days...hopefully in the right key and everything 😀
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2020, 01:07:41 PM »
It's easy to imagine a big production to this @CaliaMoko. Well done for taking on the challenge. I wonder how many of us will go on to develop our sketches. I really dislike my effort but have gone on to produce it to about 70% completion. It was at first a cool challenge but has turned into a compelling task to create something  worthwhile.

Once again Vicki, really well done!

Paul

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2020, 05:33:15 PM »
Hey guys.... I’m on my holliers and figured I’d have a listen to these from the wilds of the west coast of Ireland during some quiet relaxing time ... Fascinating hearing the variations on the theme - from sad to warm to touching to social and historical commentary to hilarious...   

Great idea for a comp! (Will there be voting or was this just for the challenge of it all)?

K

Kafla

« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2020, 07:05:11 PM »
I will have a go at this @Wicked Deeds but it might be Sunday before I can produce some eloquent sh!t 🤣😎

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2020, 07:10:30 PM »
@Kafla,

Andy you absolute star! You are sorely missed my friend!
Please ignore the duffer that I posted. It is currently undergoing a rewrite or heading for the bin. More importantly. It is fantastic to hear from you my great friend!

Paul

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2020, 09:19:27 PM »
I've done a new version of mine...just added drums, bass and a simple doubled string line...and re-recorded it in a key that wasn't killing me! It's a bit more like what I had in mind initially. Great exercise, though!

I'll likely remove the original in time...but will leave it for now just to show how much things can need polishing up  :-[

« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 09:23:24 PM by PaulAds »
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter