Latest challenge

• 80 Replies

Wicked Deeds

« on: August 01, 2020, 09:46:40 AM »
After yesterday's Friday night chat, it seems that several forum contributors would like to engage in a writing challenge.  Of the people present, we briefly discussed writing a song on one instruments only, in one day only.  Furthermore it was suggested that we all write to the same theme to avoid the temptation to submit something that was already written or partly written.

We all have demands on our time, so it is unlikely that we can all write on the same day.  However, I propose that the song is written on any day from Monday 'til Friday of the coming week. We'll all have to be honest with ourselves and not bend the rules to complete our creations.

Suggestions for song topics :

1.  A song about a place or travel
  2.  Song about cars
  3.  Songs about film
  4.  Songs about famous people
  5   Songs about politics or political figures
  6.  Songs about love  lost/found/scorned/star crossed lovers

Feel free to add suggestions. It's important for us all to agree on a topic and all write around the same one. How you decide to do that s entirely up to you. 

Hopefully this will kickstart the discussion process.

Paul

@Kafla it would be great to see you sign up for this!

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 10:10:50 AM »
Yeah...I'm absolutely up for this...sounds like a great way to get something cooking that I probably wouldn't otherwise do :)
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 11:20:53 AM »
'Home' - now there's a theme for a song!

Paul

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 11:43:12 AM »
All sounds very good - I like “home” as a theme too...

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 12:20:57 PM »
I’d be really interested in being involved in this, I love the one instrument one day restriction as I think it will be amazing to hear other contributors songs bare bones before the production and subsequent tweaks! Also, home is a great theme!!

Can I also propose that we have two votes, one for best song and one for best lyrics? The hope is that it would be an encouragement to those who mainly post in the lyric section of the forum to be involved and put their lyrics to music. If it’s a crap idea though don’t worry about it :P

Cheers

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 01:32:30 PM »
I also like "Home" as a theme!

And what about making it Monday through Sunday to accommodate those who only have spare time on weekends?

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2020, 06:22:52 PM »
Weekends or work days are fine. Next week is the first break I've had from work for many months.

Paul
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 06:33:07 PM by Wicked Deeds »

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2020, 06:27:43 PM »
So let me get this straight.  Wake up in the morning with a blank sheet of paper, no previously considered lyrics or chords and by the time you go to bed you have a fully recorded song?  is that it?

And one the one instrument thing, can that be a synth?  so you could play drums, pads, piano, strings whatever?

Personally, if I do it, it will be on an acoustic guitar  ;D

Pete
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA
Instagram @echodogsofficial

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2020, 06:36:00 PM »
@PeteS,

You've got it my friend. A brand new song, written and recorded in one day. A vocal and one instrument only.

Paul

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2020, 11:15:02 PM »
@Wicked Deeds sorry to be thick Paul, but is this one track of of one instrument, or if you wanted, a multi track of one instrument?

My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2020, 11:22:49 PM »
@MichaelA,

As I understand from Friday's discussion, this is a one instrument and one vocal song, nothing too elaborate though I must admit a second guitar can lift a guitar vocal considerably.

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2020, 12:33:28 AM »
OK, so the idea is that it is ‘stripped back’. It is one instrument only, same sound throughout - so for example not a synth doing two or more sounds. Max of two same instrument tracks. Although only one instrumental track is just as worthy as the max of two.

Vocals - one lead track plus a max of one harmony track, but any harmony is optional for those who prefer such a thing.

Is that it in a nutshell?
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2020, 03:31:54 AM »
I hope to do it though my "one day" is going to be parts of days strung together max 24 hours effort.

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2020, 08:31:20 AM »
@MichaelA, @Paulski

I see no reason  why we can't write our songs on one instrument, e.g a guitar or a piano then record the guitar or piano on one track, followed by a vocal on one track. The song will then be complete.  If people want to add a second guitar or piano to enhance the dynamics of their song then go for it (providing we are all in agreement.) Most importantly, this is a songwriting task.  Choose the day that you are going to write, complete that task then record it in one day.  I'm going to give myself 8 -12 hours to complete my song, though I might take considerably less time depending on whether inspiration favours me .  If you can't devote a similar amount of time in one day then it seems reasonable to perhaps have 3 sessions, each lasting 4 hours. That might of course give a writer an advantage because he or she brings a fresh approach to the writing process each time. Equally, there's something to be said for writing your song in one session. I'm at ease about which approach is employed but please try to be disciplined re the number of hours devoted to the task.  I'v never been a fan of competitions. I'm more switched onto the task of writing for th challenge of the ex raise.  I hope that's ok with everyone though someone could step in if they wish to run a competition.

Are we going to embrace the 'home' theme'

Paul