Tom Dell Blues

• 17 Replies

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« on: July 31, 2020, 07:56:29 PM »
Hiya,

Here's an old style little tune about a night down in Penzance a couple of years ago, where we listened to a cool dude call Tom Dell strut his stuff. 

All the clever bits are Band in a box. Anyway enough said, hopefully this will register on the Viscount Cramer scale and look forward to your thoughts and suggestions. Enjoy  8)
neil

https://soundcloud.com/neilconnor-2/tom-dale-blues-demo-march-2020

Walked down the hill in the pouring rain
Looking for a good time, didn’t know the name
Bought some beers and found a seat
Packed to the rafters for the delta beat

Then in came Tom with guitar in hand
Proceed to strum and sing and wail
He was a true one man band

He’s got the old time Blues
With the smartest of hats and shiniest shoes
The sharpest of tales I’m looking for clues
Amongst the Tom Dales Blues

Blues and ragtime that’s his thing
Blind Willie McTell and Reverent Gary Clark
A beat up National upon his lap
Banjo, fiddle and tongue-blocked harp

Singing songs of the southern lands
Finger picking and slide guitar
He was a true one man band

And when it was done I went and had a chat
Talked of Delia and all of that
Walked up the hill and went to bed
The stories and songs going through my head

c N Connor 2020

check him out at tomdalemusic.co.uk/about-tom/
songwriter of no repute..

Unclenny

• Solo Gig
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 08:57:17 PM »
Great tune @Neil C . Love the style and the story as well as all those clever bits. Great production and I like the cool ad-libbing throughout.

Just a very enjoyable listen all the way through.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?band

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 08:11:53 AM »
Hi Neil, really good stuff, liking the war time brass feel to it and laid back vocal.  Not what I would normally listen to but in a lazy bar on a beach somewhere then I can't think of much better.
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA
Instagram @echodogsofficial

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 07:26:35 AM »
Wow! The horns are just AMAZING on this mate! U arranged them all beautifully.🎶👊🏻🎶 I love your chorus lyrics especially "smartest of hats, shiniest shoes etc...very cool! Great job mate.😁👍🏻

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 09:43:08 AM »
@Neil C - very enjoyable, stroll through time, even got a bit of Steely's brass section in the instrumental section.

BinaB, is one hell of a thing, was thinking of buying it for the bits's I can't do myself, rather than faffing with samples, how do you find it?

Tom must have been a great gig.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 06:47:31 PM »
What a great old time jazz feel this has Neil. Very suited to your vocals for sure. Like others have said, those horns are fantastic. I particularly like the muted trumpet. That BITB is some clever software for sure. Really great vibe Neil  :)

Grubstar

• Open Mic
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2020, 02:27:34 PM »
Hi
Wow, what a great track, its really well produced and arranged. I really loved the laid back jazz shuffle feel and your vocals really complement the style of the song.The horn arrangements and solos are out of this world I know I wouldnt know where to begin. I have never heard od BITB before but I will certainly check it out. Brilliant job!

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2020, 06:04:24 PM »
Hola @Tom Dell Blues

From the start, the sound is great and the voices sound warm, in a wonderful plane.

You did a classic with a perfect arrangement  for a movie for example,  and modulating with your voice that flavor that we like so much

I had a great time listening to it.
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2020, 06:54:11 PM »
Tom Robinson sings jazz! Great production and love the brass. Really nice BVs to support the main vocal, nice touch.

Kevin

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2020, 11:53:39 AM »
Hi Neil,
BIAB is a wonderful tool for the musically challenged such as myself. I don't believe you need it though but this is a beautifully constructed track. Great details in the lyrics; loads of great images and some clever rhyming schemes to go with "blues". Lovely, honest and natural vocal. An awful lot to like.
M

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2020, 06:47:08 PM »

@Unclenny, thanks glad you enjoyed it and ad-libbing, should be a fun piece

@PeteS "liking the war time brass feel to it and laid back vocal" enjoy the beach :-)

@LostBoy - the horns at BIAB, I tell I the key and select which arrangement to use, rather than do the arrangement. and "smartest of hats, shiniest shoes etc" is quite tricky to sing. There's probably a word for that..

@cowparsleyman - thanks re'BinaB, is one hell of a thing, was thinking of buying it for the bits's I can't do myself, rather than faffing with samples, how do you find it" Thats why I bought it. Its a bit of a old school beast. Lots of different applications, from notation, to writing tool as well as played samples. Takes some learning, like a DAW but very happy with the sounds, but you pay if you want the whole bundle. Also check the styles you want, more US roots focussed than electro for example

@pompeyjazz - thanks as every for your supportive comments :-) When's our ode to holiday en France being shared?

@Grubstar - "Wow, what a great track, its really well produced and arranged" thanks a lot for those comments. Appreciated

@moraamarolaloba - 'I had a great time listening to it' thank you that made me feel well chuffed

@kevysc 'Tom Robinson sings jazz!' thanks had the Tom reference a few times before. He probably has done jazz at. some stage. I just remember in the High Wycombe town hall all singing 2-4-6-8 motorway and sing if you're glad to be gay in 1978.. :-)

@montydog - 'Great details in the lyrics' thanks for your encouraging feedback :-)
songwriter of no repute..

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2020, 06:50:00 PM »
@Neil C - good to know...thanks

Kafla

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2020, 02:02:48 PM »
Hi Neil ,

You are the most profilc writer I know  ;D

This is pretty sensational mate - I can’t even begin to imagine how you pulled this all together. Greta lyrics and story telling. And the take it away boys- man your like Dean Martin with a dirty martini and 3 olives  8)

I have been looking at BIAB recently so will need to seriously look now.

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2020, 06:21:47 PM »
@Neil C

Neil, you jazz master.  I can only say that I have noticed a huge development in both your musicianship and writing ability.  This is a cool song indeed.  Great structure and discipline, adhering to the theme to create some very engaging imagery.

As an aside, I still owe you a string arrangement.  Truth is, I got a little too busy moving south and settling into a new career.  Things are slowing down for me now and I'm so much more settled so will correct my misdemeanour soon.

An excellent track Neil  :)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 06:55:35 PM by Wicked Deeds »

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2020, 06:48:27 PM »
Hi Neil
This great New Orleans jazz - feels like it came out of a 30's as an old standard.
Catchy chorus and strong vocals.
Good work!  ;D
Paul