konalavadome

Error while trying to synchronize Audio and MIDI.

• 12 Replies

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« on: July 30, 2020, 06:07:19 PM »
I'm using Garageband on a 2018 MacBook Pro with 500gb SSD (reasonably full) and 16GB RAM plus I use BIAS FX2 as the guitar rig.  I use a third party Compressor plug in and an Apple Stereo delay plug in on the vocals but unless I'm doing keyboards (which I don't do much of) I'm not using any other plug ins.

I keep getting this error message 'Error while trying to synchronize Audio and MIDI', it grinds a bit then stops completely.  From looking around, I know Logic users get it as well but no-one had a definitive cause or solution.

BIAS FX could be a heavy resource user but the MacBook should be sufficient to cope.

Anyone having this problem?

Pete
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA
Instagram @echodogsofficial

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 06:24:48 PM »
Have you tried using the "track lock" function...which is like logic's "freeze" feature?

It basically renders the track to your hard drive to free up processing power for other stuff...might be worth a look into.

You might have to alter the view track header thing for it to show up....
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 07:05:33 PM »
No I haven’t’ never heard of it.  I’ll have a play and see what I can do.  Thanks Paul.
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 12:08:26 PM »
Thanks for the tip @PaulAds that works but is pretty inflexible while I'm still building a track and need to keep editing multiple tracks.  Still, it keeps me moving!

Cheers

Pete

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 06:29:47 PM »
There's also a way of grabbing the rendered tracks (with plugins etc applied) and then importing them back into garageband if you think that'd help.

I think you can render the drummer/midi drum tracks that way as a stereo audio file too...

Although your mac sounds like it should have plenty of poke to cope. Mine always manages fine with a comparable processor but just 8gb ram...although I'm not renowned for my elaborate productions 😀

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2020, 06:34:01 PM »
And I'm also a bit of a stock plug in fella...the song Adam and I just did was all done with stock GB amps drums and fx.

I only used a mastering preset from ozone elements on the finished mix.

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2020, 09:52:49 AM »
Trouble is each track is not yet complete so I don't want to finalise it.  Locking and unlocking works but its a pain in the arse.  I have only had this problem recently, coinciding with 2 things; BIAS FX2 and my MacBook having a meltdown.  I had loads of problems with it during lockdown and had great support from a guy at Apple.  All the problems seem to have gone away, bbut I'm not convinced.  I'm going to contact the Positive Grid about BIAS and take the MacBook to an Apple store, lay it on a bit thick and see if they'll look at it.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 10:07:06 AM »
To be honest...it sounds as if you'd be much better off buying Logic Pro. If you feel that Garageband is holding you back...then you'll never get that doubt out of your head. And frustration is a real choker when it comes to doing anything creative.

I think I'd definitely get my Mac looked at too...it should be able to do all of that in it's pyjamas, really.

I upgraded to Logic Pro a while back, but I reverted back to Garageband. I just couldn't be arsed with how complicated everything can become. I think my songs sound better now...despite being done on a very simplistic DAW with no third-party plugins...and I certainly have more time to play, write, record and go and do other stuff than I would have had if I was sitting looking at a icon-salad monitor screen, scratching my head trying to figure out all the extra features I'd dropped £200 on.

My tuppence worth...

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2020, 10:30:49 AM »
@PeteS - sorry to hear of your troubles....I tend to agree with @PaulAds maybe the time has come....

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2020, 10:47:12 AM »
Thanks Guys.  @cowparsleyman Paul is recommending not changing and to be honest, that's where I am as I am sure the problem would still exist.  I will think about changing another time but I'll need a good look at what benefits I would be getting (other than busses of course  ;D).

Next stop, Apple store in Southampton!

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2020, 10:58:29 AM »
@PeteS - Just to be clear, I would upgrade, but that's just me, I suppose it depends on what kind of stuff you want to do, my brain is full of salad, It's nice to know If I want to do something then I can do it, I don't have to compromise my ideas, sometime sit takes a hour or so to get what I want, but it's always worth it. I get Pauls approach and dig it, it certainly hasn't held him back.

Best of luck in southampton, is it in that huge shopping mall?

let me know what you decide.

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2020, 06:21:44 PM »
It is the one in that Mall, it's just getting a slot that's difficult.  The trouble with upgrading is what do I get for it?  Currently I think I'd rather put it towards a new guitar, but then I probably don't need that either  ;D ;D

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2020, 07:04:10 PM »
@PeteS - Man, music is a life of, "well if only I had this or that" striving for that sounds, sometimes the best thing i just spend the wallop and then justify it by finding out just what you can do...

You won't regret the upgrade...