konalavadome

Migrant Winds (colaboration with @Paulads)

• 14 Replies

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« on: July 30, 2020, 09:07:46 AM »
Hi - a long time in the making but here we have a new colaboration with the cultivated @PaulAds.

I started on this back around the Arab Spring in the early 2010s, but sadly every day seems to bring new material.

In fact I had enough for about three songs and no melody and a big mess in variant time signatures.

I sent it to Paul and for various reasons it never quite took off till recently when I sat down again, slashed and simplified everything, and sent him a quick demo, which he made into this. I think it really shows off his - in my opinion underrated - musicality, and all I needed to do was add a proper vocal and some extra BVs.

Life's hard and we all have our problems, but peoples, at some stage or another most of our ancestors had to flee something for a better life.

V1
There's a wind coming up from the olive fields
It brings a head full of sneezes and a sting to my eye
I say maybe next year I'll do something about it
Otherwise, it's gonna be
A bad Spring for me

V2
There's a wind coming up from the Southern coast
It brings boats full of bees with their dangerous hopes
I say maybe next time they’ll do something about it
Otherwise it's gonna be
A bad year for me

Pre1
Boats smashing on the beach
But I'm only crying cos I'm starting to sneeze

CH
Upwind, downwind, north and south, we’re cursing our fate
Seems like everyone’s wanting a piece of my cake
Though something tells me I should care I'm sure it's all fake
And frankly, my dear, I’ve got enough on my plate

V3
There's a wind coming over the continent
They say it's bringing locusts to eat our green shoots
I say maybe next term he’ll do something about it
Otherwise It's gonna be
A bad life for me

Pre2
Pests dodging walls and ICE
But that’s not the reason there’s a tear in my eye

CH
SOLO

Pre3
Keeping children in a cage
But that's what it takes to make me sleep safe

CH
FINAL CH

(c) 2020 Adam Farr / Paul Adamson, all rights reserved

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 12:20:04 PM »
Hi guys, nice collaboration a nice upbeat song with an underlying contrasting lyrical question. A bit B52's with a soupçon of Dire Straits via Mr Ads Knoplfler inspired guitar sounds ;) 8). Your stuff keeps on improving Adam!

Cheers

Jamie

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 08:50:29 PM »
This is a class write @adamfarr and @PaulAds with some thought provoking lyrics I had the privilege of listening to an earlier version of this number a few weeks ago and you have applied some lovely finishing touches. The chord progression is fabulous and I love those bongos. Top quality work indeed you two  :)

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 12:14:55 PM »
Really good work, very catchy!  So much going on and yet perfectly mixed together.  I keep listening to the BVs, and can't be sure whether there are BVs or a pad of some sort behind the Pre.  Really like it though!

New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA
Instagram @echodogsofficial

Morefrog Jones

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 08:35:14 PM »
Nice......Brave lyrics in this day and age.
Very catchy and i'm going to have another listen as it was so good.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 09:50:25 AM »
@adamfarr - Nice work Adam, like the choice of instruments, and the way they sit allowing the vocals to take centre stage, there is a Jam vibe running in there, which is nice and subversive.

Well mixed and produced, especially the BV's, and the perc, oh yes the bass oh, and the guitar, solo - just perfect.

Which ICE are you referring to?

Nice collab. @PaulAds (love it Man)

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2020, 12:22:35 PM »
Intelligent lyrics and a difficult subject made somehow entertaining, plus now I know about your busses template I appreciated it even more.  :D You should fly @paulads over, business class of course, to headline this with you at your daughter’s upcoming ‘Back Garden Festival’ that you told us about. I’m sure she’d love that!

The chorus on this is very catchy, and almost ironic that it bounces along at odds with the serious topic the song tackles. Nice idea. The guitar riff is well done, plus I really liked those distant harmonies.

Really worthwhile collaboration, very nice work indeed 👍
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

5 guys named Lars

• Solo Gig
    • 5 Guys Named Lars- Soundcloud
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2020, 12:22:25 AM »
Great collaboration chaps. Well produced and mixed &  superb lyrics. Spot on.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2020, 10:01:01 AM »
Liking this a lot my friend..love the lyrics, will they scare the liberals? I doubt it :) 8)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Grubstar

• Open Mic
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2020, 02:48:35 PM »
Hi @adamfarr @PaulAds

I really enjoyed this upbeat and catchy song with its  biting social commentary and great vocal delivery. As you say Paul's musicianship
and arrangement skills shines out throughout particulary the great guitar parts.

Adam  I really think this is one of the best ones Ive heard from you and its a fantastic collaboration.

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2020, 06:45:06 PM »
@adamfarr

Your song describes so many current things and the same ... I had a great time, I love the happy and youthful style of the song and the lyrics, although deep in its content.
I loved the choir, thanks for putting a smile on my lips
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2020, 06:51:35 PM »
This has a really nice vibe and I'm sure it would go down a storm in a live set!

Some great musicianship ( particularly guitar) and a great production.

Nice job, Kevin

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2020, 11:49:03 AM »
Love the title - evocative. Great instrumentals but I have to disagree with the other posters. I am not a fan of literal "reportage" songwriting - there's no room for personal extrapolation; it's all a bit matter of fact. This would have worked better if you'd written from the point of view of the migrant rather than the neo-fascist anti immigrant. It would have worked better emotionally. This is a personal view - musically this is excellent and the lyrics are clever and original but it's not moving me.
Sorry.
M

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2020, 05:52:43 PM »
Very strong - love the theme and I really like it coming from the villain rather the victim. Chorus is catchy as hell - fab BVs!! The vibe to it from v2 on is really great and I love that you introduce it with that stripped back v1...  playing and production first class... as I would expect.

Thought provoking and original...

Absolutely fab collaboration...

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2020, 05:49:32 PM »
Hi,
Enjoyed the lyrics, although always a bit nervous about songs with wind in their title...
But it all works well with a driving poppy backdrop ( I always think PaulAds is very musical :-)
Love that little souly guitar riff. Drums work well - I don't often say that.
My only suggestion is that the BV's in the chorus could be a bit more committed and fuller, to provide more contrast to the verses.
But its a cool piece of work gents.
:-)
neil   
songwriter of no repute..