Not Enough

• 20 Replies

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« on: July 29, 2020, 08:46:03 PM »
Hey all!

Another Ashes for Dreams number.. a little dark (surprise surprise) and maybe not a million miles away in theme (only) from my most recent solo number although this one has been hanging about for a while.. Just general control freakery but with a spark of light there somewhere :) !

As always, this has been such fun to do - the ever creative and super talented @Jambrains coming up with the goods yet again and the to and fro as we reach the end line a complete blast...

And also as always, all comments are welcome.. we will surely tweak this as we receive feedback..

K

Not Enough

I’m falling apart, and this heavy heart
Makes no sense from where you sit
I tick all the boxes, have all the options
All targets hit
But I’m falling apart
I’m falling apart

Outside in it’s working
Inside out it’s not
I’m done pretending
I’ve given all I’ve got
Why is everything still not enough.

If you ask me how am I feeling
I’ll say I’m fine
Why would you question, not believe me
Why would you cross that line
I say I’m feeling fine
I’m feeling fine

Outside in it’s working
Inside out it’s not
I’m done pretending
I’ve given all I’ve got

If only I shouted, if I had the courage
To pick up the phone
To say that I’m drowning while No one is watching
I’m all alone
I’m all alone
All alone

Outside in it’s working
Inside out it’s not
I’m done pretending
I’ve given all I’ve got

You say if you were mine
We’d be just fine
Maybe it’s time
To give it a try

Outside in it’s working
Inside out it’s not
I’m done pretending
I’ve given all I’ve got

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 07:44:16 AM »
Wow! That was AMAZING! 😄🎶👊🏻🎶👊🏻🎶 you guys hulk smashed this one! First off, the mix is spot on in my humble opinion. I love the subtle synth that underpins the guitar in places, the guitars of course are just fab. Karen u sound amazing, that chorus is catchy as f@#k!!🤪 I absolutely love the line “outside in its working, inside out it’s not” brilliant writing as always.
Really well done guys!🤩👏🏻🎶👏🏻🎶

bigFishAndTheSmallPondets

• Open Mic
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 08:10:16 AM »
I hope you'll take it as a compliment but it reminds me a little bit of 90s Sheryl Crow.

The melody and production go brilliantly together to make for quite an exciting, energetic and uplifting piece of music. I personally feel it's an interesting contrast that the lyrics are (to me) quite despairing. Perhaps it is all leading up to 'Maybe it’s time to give it a try', which might give the song that optimism I can hear in the music. Not sure if this is what you intended.

Very lively and infectious. Well done.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2020, 08:18:06 AM »
Fabulous stuff here you guys. Reminded me a little bit of Kirsty McColl. I'm a sucker for those jangly guitars and the riff is a real killer which gets stuck in your head. It's a really catchy, melodic little number. I like the way that you drop into half time, very effective. Fabulous stuff as ever  :)

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2020, 12:34:37 PM »
@MonnoDB @Jambrains
Hi guys, love this,+1 to all the other comments. Brilliant lyric, love the 'inside /outside' lines. Fab!

Cheers
Jamie

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2020, 01:43:39 PM »
@MonnoDB - to me this is your finest work, upbeat and super tight, great lyrics and phrasing to die for. @Jambrains - Your musicianship and production really are of the highest order.

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2020, 03:28:11 PM »
Love the energy, this one really moves along .... Great chorus, really catchy but still complex enough to be interesting.

Top class,

Kevin

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2020, 06:59:29 PM »
Hola @MonnoDB

It is a catchy song, with a very lively rhythm, very youthful, and I love the story you describe.
With your voice it is always easy to get into your music.
Maybe this time the guitar sounds a bit loud compared to the voice?
Congratulations once again,

Mora
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2020, 08:36:39 PM »
Great production and a cracking little number. Felt more jaunty than dark to me...but maybe that's just my natural optimism getting the better of me  :P

The vocals are a very lovely thing indeed.

Pings along very nicely...everything sounding cool and under control...like a finely tuned song-writing machine...which is kind of what you are, but with real-world emotions that AI will forever be playing catch-up with.

I think I'd maybe pull the rhythm guitar back a tiny bit and knock the snare up to snap a little more...but that was after scratching my head for a good while trying to think of something that might not have been absolutely perfect...and just a personal preference at a certain time on a particular day...

But really...absolutely top drawer stuff once again...way to go, dudes...
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2020, 11:05:33 PM »
I'm embarrassed to say that your Alter Ego with @Jambrains had passed me by, maybe nothing new since I've  been around?

Anyway, I love it!  I guess that's not surprising as I have loved your individual stuff and everything @Jambrains has done.  Karen, your voice really is as great as ever and @Jambrains guitar work is first class!   It really feels like one of the best tracks I've heard on here. 

As a guitarist, I really like the construction of the riffs and the move between picking and chords plus the overlays. 

I'd like to find some constructive criticism but I can't!

Great work guys!
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA
Instagram @echodogsofficial

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2020, 12:07:47 PM »
The record company would be rubbing their hands in glee if they’d sent you into the studio and you came back with this. You make the production of catchy hits seem quite effortless, and you're very confident and consistent in your style and delivery now. Should be a money making machine. Although I’m not the best person to ask, as I haven’t bought a single since the early 80s!  ;)

The guitar riffing carries the song on its way so well And I like how it changes tone into the second verse, then a second guitar comes in right side. Plus the slow break helps the final chorus really zip along.

Great top line, especially the chorus and vocals are both sweet and pithy in your signature style Karen. Really accomplished yet again from the both of you. Should be on the radio!
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Grubstar

• Open Mic
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2020, 03:03:36 PM »
Hi @MonnoDB @Jambrains
What a great piece of songwriting, production and arrangement. Its really upbeat and catchy with great vocals,chorus  and guitars yet the lyrics are quite dark and a little despondent which gives the song extra gravitas.Absolutely loved it.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2020, 11:39:42 AM »
Nothing to say - this is just great from top to bottom. Karen, you sound particularly at home with this style. Fab song, awesome performances, and great production details all through.

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2020, 11:39:54 AM »
Hi Guys,

1st class modern pop song highlighted by that superb vocal delivery and the energetic instrumentals. This is surely commercial enough for professional release. A perfect pop confection - sounds simple but isn't. Loved it to bits.
M

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2020, 08:54:59 PM »
Wow - thanks so much all for the positive comments - delighted it's getting the thumbs up...

@LostBoy Leo thanks a mill for your kind words.. Yeah I do love that synth... twas a fab track to sing to!!  :D :D

@bigFishAndTheSmallPondets - indeed I will take even a distant reminder as a compliment - I'm a huge SC fan.. LOVE her.. saw her live a few years ago and she's still amazing.. So tight! Thanks so much for your lovely comments... agree there is a spark of hope in there.. peeping out..

@pompeyjazz thanks so much!! Kirsty eh? :) I'll take even a hint of that thank you !! Yeah the 1/2 time I love - especially coming out of it!

@Jamie  - thanks so much - too kind, sir....

@Cowparsleyman - thanks so much for those lovely words.. Delighted you like it!

@kevysc - thanks a mill! :)

@moraamarolaloba - thanks so much for your kind comments and notes on levels..

@PaulAds - thanks so much.. I guess it is kind of jaunty but the lyrics are largely dark... thanks for the critiques - all taken on board...

@PeteS - it's been about 3 months since our last one give or take... Thanks for those lovely comments - much appreciated.. agree re the guitar playing... awesome :)!

@MichaelA - money making you say? Chance would be a fine thing :) ! Lovely comments Mr A - much appreciated!

@Grubstar - high praise, I thank you kindly...

@adamfarr - thanks so much.. Well yeah, I had great fun tracking this.. Thanks a mill..

@montydog - I thank you for those lovely comments.. delighted..

Again thank you all - every listen and crit is gratefully received..

K